Half Nelson Open Sunday April 18

April 29, 2010, 3:54 p.m.

More people shuttling Half Nelson today. Sad! That road needs a gate….from the start of Ring fsr.

April 29, 2010, 4:11 p.m.

More people shuttling Half Nelson today. Sad! That road needs a gate….from the start of Ring fsr.

Or maybe some deeper ditches??

April 29, 2010, 4:28 p.m.

what's the pedal up route? I thought that whole zone was shuttle accessed from Garibaldi.

April 29, 2010, 4:40 p.m.

what's the pedal up route? I thought that whole zone was shuttle accessed from Garibaldi.

Ring Creek FSR.

April 29, 2010, 5:27 p.m.

Sadly, there's no common trait that compells people to not do something for themselves simply because it may be better for others. When presented with the opportunity to get quick and easy gratification, there's always a good chunk of the population that will say to hell with what's good for everyone, I want what feels good for me. MTBers are no different than other humans in this regard. "Aw hell with those grannies that don't want us shuttling it in the wet spring conditions, I can't wait for it to harden up and I'm not pedalling 'cause I know other people are shuttling, I want to get radical now!" Maybe they figure the trail is going to get worked regardless, and they need to get their "share" before it ruts out. Blaming it on the builders overlooks the obvious self(ish) interest at play here.

April 29, 2010, 8:01 p.m.

rode it today, and PP, and something else I'm not sure what…..gotta love fresh squamish trails! probably need a couple more laps on HN to feel comfortable, PP rework is mint! great work Rob!

April 29, 2010, 8:16 p.m.

what a joke. i hate the "sensitive terrain" argument. It's forest. Bears shit on it. If ever there was an excuse for bureaucratic office gnats to close a trail, this is their favourite.

If someone offered them enough $$$$ to develop the land they would snap it up like the hypocrites they are.

I like this.

April 29, 2010, 9:29 p.m.

The whole shuttling HN makes absolutely no sense to me. I watched a group shuttle it all day and by the time they drove up , biked down, drove up to retrieve ……… I did 2 laps for their 1. It is a 25 min bike up if you take your time. I originally deeper ditches would be a good idea but I have seen some pretty jacked up trucks going up there.
On a brighter note I have to agree with Flip. The trails are in amazing shape. Thanks you to all the people who put in their own time to create and maintain them. See you on Saturday for this weeks trail maintanence day.

April 29, 2010, 9:54 p.m.

ring creek fsr.If your just staying in that zone. leave your car at the conjunction. the FSR isn't that steep, no more than Fromme. Kicks up once you get around the corner from Psuedo Psuga. if your bike is too big for that climb than it's overkill for Half Nelson. a good loop we did the other day is park near the University, up to Half Nelson, back up to PP and over to Word of Mouth. puts you right back to your car in 2 hours. lots of options to extend that.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

April 29, 2010, 10:46 p.m.

This is not the boob thread.

April 30, 2010, 7:01 p.m.

Rode it today. We shuttled to top of the road to ride Powersmart from the top, which was awesome by the way, then we pushed peddaled to HN, were on big bikes. I don't have the skills to make a big bike shine on HN. Then we rode up to Psuetosuga and rode it plus the below trails down to the truck.
My view is that I wouldn't shuttle HN because next time I would ride it on a smaller bike and would rather ride up. That road up to it is too beat anyway. But that trail was built with public money in an area that is shuttle accesable and has been shuttled before, so if someone wants to ride a hardtail trail on a big bike and shuttle it, so be it. I think that people will tire of that practice anyway, the novelty will wear off. The shuttlers, like myself most of the time, will stick to the usual offerings.

TomPro

April 30, 2010, 11:19 p.m.

^^^ correct.
the vast majority are pedalling up with smallish bikes.
it is far faster to pedal/push than shuttle.
the trail doesn't work well on a big bike, the smaller the better.
dirt jumper = perfect.

May 1, 2010, 6:05 a.m.

I agree that HN is best ridden on a dirt jump bike, except that I don't think that most people that ride dirt jump bikes will ride them up there. Most dirt jump bikes are not set up to ride up hill and have only one brake. Not ideal at all since there is a fair bit of braking on that trail. People will have to build special HN bikes - dirt jumper with two brakes, rear deraileur, front deraileur, long seat post.
Just kidding, of course.

TomPro

May 1, 2010, 10:58 p.m.

there are a few of us pedalling up with 2:1 singlespeed dj's, stand up and mash, not easy but it works.
2 brakes are ideal for sure, though maybe some people could get by without the front, not sure.
couple laps on HN then a pumptrack session makes for a pleasant few hours.