Golden Ears Park Management Plan

Feb. 6, 2013, 3:05 p.m.

Bc Parks has presented a draft management plan: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/golden_ears/golden-ears-mp-public-rev.pdf

A comments section for public input due on Weds. Feb. 15th: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/golden_ears/golden-ears-draftMP-comments.html

I urge any [HTML_REMOVED] all mountain bikers who have an interest in expanded single track opportunity (Everyone??) to read the draft plan and provide comments in support of expanded mountain bike opportunities within Golden Ears Park.

If the mountain bike community stays too quiet with regard to this plan, expect lots more of where this came from (taken from the Horse Council of BC website):

Fabulous turnout at the open house on Jan.31st - thanks to everyone who was able to be there in person to voice their support!

Now that we've got their attention, it is time to SHARE YOUR WISH LIST for equestrian use at Golden Ears Park.

Fill out the online form at the BC Parks web site and list your ideas/needs in the "General Comments" section.

Here are some thoughts from other riders - if you like these ideas, please fill out the online form and let the park planners know, because NUMBERS COUNT!
- horse camping at Gold Creek
- horse camping at east side of lake
- another place for trailer parking deeper in the park
- sign in 'corral' parking that it is for horses only
- horse trail conditions updates on Park website
- provision for horse groups to do volunteer work in the park, e.g. work on campsites, build corrals, put in hitching posts
- expanded horse trails (variety, longer, more loops)
- tell BC Parks how you currently use the park as a rider
- tell BC Parks the ways you would like to use the park over the next 10 years:

Feb. 6, 2013, 5:55 p.m.

Commented. I Did say that it was disappointing to see the continued lack of support for mountain biking.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 6, 2013, 7:09 p.m.

you know what? we don't have to deal with horses on Seymour, Cypress, Fromme, Eagle, Sumas, Vedder, Red, Bear, Woodlot, Squamish…

(well, maybe we do occasionally in the valley, but you gotta admit we have it pretty good)

Just saying, maybe there's a place for everyone, and everyone can have their place.

Feb. 6, 2013, 8:48 p.m.

you know what? we don't have to deal with horses on Seymour, Cypress, Fromme, Eagle, Sumas, Vedder, Red, Bear, Woodlot, Squamish…

(well, maybe we do occasionally in the valley, but you gotta admit we have it pretty good)

Just saying, maybe there's a place for everyone, and everyone can have their place.

Admittedly, it's not going to matter to everyone, but I have supported or do support mountain biking in most of the areas you have mentioned so I think it's ok to ask for a bit of support back.

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:03 p.m.

Maple Ridge has over 70 km of horse trails. If you take into account the total distance of bike trails in the three Ridge riding spots (Woodlot, Golden Ears, and Thornhill) it pales in comparison.

I do agree that there is a place for everyone but I also think that Golden Ears park, with its huge area and trail network, could improve and/or create a better experience for mountain bikers.

www.FVMBA.com

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

only cause they aren't as strong a lobby as they used to be.

NSHA Loop - North Shore Horse Association
Bridle Path - Built by the NSHA back in the 80's.

Guess you haven't talked to Rich much about the Cranks trail on Bear. I think that issue is resolved now.

They would also love to establish a route on Seymour on the ridge east of Wills's way, in what is now called the High school loop area. They just don't have the resources.

The horses at the stable near Inter River use the trails in Canyon park quite a bit, probably why the DNV isn't keen on letting Mountain bikers work on those trails. They would also use the RJ loop more if they could.

Also there is a stable on Fromme, and they were trying to have more input AFTER The ARRG but they weren't consulted in time.

Its in our interest to support all areas to support mountain biking.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 6, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Eagle yes. there are horses all over, and quads, dirtbikes.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 7, 2013, 6:42 a.m.

Yes we do.

Feb. 7, 2013, 7:42 a.m.

Are horses not allowed on the Bridle path? If not, then it seems like a silly name for it really.

Feb. 7, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

Man I hate running into wild horses on Eagle. And the fucking Zebras. Jesus!

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 8, 2013, 2 p.m.

Are horses not allowed on the Bridle path? If not, then it seems like a silly name for it really.

I've never seen anything to suggest that they can't ride there but I'd imagine it would really suck, with all the people and bridges and stuff. Even around Lynn Canyon their numbers have dwindled a lot in the last 10 years. Can't really say I miss the huge piles of shit.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 15, 2013, 11:11 a.m.

Bump.

Last day for comments.

Oct. 21, 2014, 3:40 p.m.

Old thread, but the park final management plan is here:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/#Management

Trail map with mtn bikes allowed trails shown here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/goldenears.pdf

Bicycling is restricted to park roads, parking lot, the Alouette Mountain Fire Access Trail, the East Canyon Trail, the Menzies Trail, the Eric Dunning Trail, and the North Beach Service Road.

Who doesn't enjoy a good parking lot ride?

Oct. 22, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

Lame, so nothing has changed, oh well

Oct. 22, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

Well, lots has actually changed, but the official position on mountain biking hasn't.

There's a whole lot more commercial activity up there, including a horseback riding outfit running tours out of the Corral parking area, a larger day use area at Alouette Lake, etc, etc.

I'm under the impression that the equestrian groups were well represented at all of the public meetings, so that could partially explain things given that almost every horseback rider I've ever met up there has been unfriendly and unreceptive to a shared trail.

"It's, like, so much fun."