Galvanized of Brite

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:50 p.m.

OK - the question is galvanized or brite spikes? I figure youre going to be fine with brites, especially considering the extra cost of galvanized - eg

50lb box 12" spiral brites - appx $65
50lb box 12" spiral Gal appx $95

whats the expectancy of a wood structure on the shore (cedar) - 15 years? will a brite rust to the point of failure in this same time frame or will it still be holding on long after the wood fails? I figure a nail embedded in wood is good to go for at lest 15 years..but what do i know? I do know that a brite nail sitting in a bucket for 2 years in the rain on the shore sure looks rusty, but is still solid enough to be used without a worry..

$30 saved on every $50 box means I can drink 311 Lager on the trail instead of cariboo…

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 2, 2013, 10 p.m.

OK - the question is galvanized or brite spikes? I figure youre going to be fine with brites, especially considering the extra cost of galvanized - eg

50lb box 12" spiral brites - appx $65
50lb box 12" spiral Gal appx $95

whats the expectancy of a wood structure on the shore (cedar) - 15 years? will a brite rust to the point of failure in this same time frame or will it still be holding on long after the wood fails? I figure a nail embedded in wood is good to go for at lest 15 years..but what do i know? I do know that a brite nail sitting in a bucket for 2 years in the rain on the shore sure looks rusty, but is still solid enough to be used without a worry..

$30 saved on every $50 box means I can drink 311 Lager on the trail instead of cariboo…

builders used to be able to get nails for free - a program i set up for the nsmba through tree island industries. not sure if they've continued on with that or not. the boxes they got were factory seconds tho, so maybe 10% of the box was bad - but who cares if they're free. we used to get 5", 6", 8" and 12" galv spikes.

if they've stopped doing this i'm sure it would be easy to set up again. either way maybe fire off an email to the nsmba and see what they have to say.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 2, 2013, 10:21 p.m.

I tried to get this fired up again and got denied.
I never take no for an answer, and asked again…denied twice.
Now we either buy them or ask for support from the LMs for specific projects.

shit, that's too bad as we had it running for a few years. at the time it was almost take as much as we needed.
i've been to their plant and it's not like a 1/2 dozen boxes per year would put them out, esp considering they were seconds.

who did you contact?

was there any chance of buying direct from tree island?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer