Fromme: Singletrack climbing trail.

April 12, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

"Phase 3 has twinned sections of Dreamweaver for directional use and re-aligned the old Executioner exit to utilize as climbing access."

What does "twinned sections of Dreamweaver" mean? Is there both an uphill and downhill route that run parallel to each other?

Yes, there are certain sections of parallel trails

April 12, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Oh dreamweaver heads off in many directions! I have only passed a few people ever on that trail because there are options all over the place! :)

One of my first times riding it, I took a wrong turn near the BP junction and ended up riding down the St. Georges hiking trail, clapped out and over quickly. So disappointing!

April 12, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

Me too. Rode from the tennis courts all the way to the middle of Executioner. Awesome. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Note: The section of the climber between St. Mary's and the skid road (where Dreamweaver intersects) - I encountered many riders coming downhill through here at high speed (7 riders in 3 groups). They all seemed to think that section was a legit descending option preferable to the actual lower section of Dreamweaver (which, admittedly is a bit blown out). So beware of incoming riders.

On weekdays, this section is very popular with commercial dog walkers, but I never encounter riders. I avoid Fromme on weekends while I still can lol

April 12, 2015, 11:26 p.m.

So weird…..I've been up and down the trail from St Marys to Skid Road so many times…..even hiked with wife and dawg…..I've looked on maps countless times…..yet I've never noticed that DW carries on down! I'll have to explore further but I do like the XC feel of the 'climber'.

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 13, 2015, 6:52 a.m.

With a couple of uncertain points, made the climb route to Executioner. Not certain where the next parts will be as yet. The parts that are done are fantastic. Aside from one section just after turning onto the BP (ramp and steps) everything is rideable, although lungs and legs may beg to differ.

Ended up with the hike a bike up Executioner to Mtn Hwy. Takes longer than Mtn Hwy, although if you factored in going across the BP then up Mtn Hwy, it might be similar times. The climbing trail, while harder than climbing up Mtn Hwy is my more satisfying.

Well done !!!

April 17, 2015, 12:34 p.m.

The climbing trail, while harder than climbing up Mtn Hwy is my more satisfying.

Well done !!!

Indeed. Rode up from Dempsey Braemar to Executioner last night. Got disoriented going down Dreamweaver and did not see the trail signes and went down St Georges a short distance until I came upon a couple dudes walking their bikes up St G. They not so politely told us that the trail was hiking only. Fair enough but they didn't need to be so blunt and rude. But that's OK. I had a way nicer bike that they did.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 6, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

Have many of you been using the new climbing trail? I haven't gotten a chance to but want to check it out soon. For someone parking at Dempsey/Braemar, what is the total climbing time of the new route to the 6th switchback (assuming you hike up the upper half of Executioner) compared to going east on BP and then climbing up the road?

May 6, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

Have many of you been using the new climbing trail? I haven't gotten a chance to but want to check it out soon. For someone parking at Dempsey/Braemar, what is the total climbing time of the new route to the 6th switchback (assuming you hike up the upper half of Executioner) compared to going east on BP and then climbing up the road?

Unless you are a total machine and can charge it in one shot I don't think it saves much time over the road. It's just a nice change that's a fun fitness challenge. Pushing up the top half of Executioner sucks (did it once and won't likely bother doing it again).

Instead try parking at the tennis courts on Braemar then pedal up the climber to where it meets Executioner (the second time) then descend Executioner to the BP. Ride the BP across to the yellow gate, which is much nicer now that those few sections have been buffed up. Then up to Seventh [HTML_REMOVED] Espresso [HTML_REMOVED] Dempsey [HTML_REMOVED] Pennzoil to end up pretty much right at the car.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 7, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

Unless you are a total machine and can charge it in one shot I don't think it saves much time over the road. It's just a nice change that's a fun fitness challenge. Pushing up the top half of Executioner sucks (did it once and won't likely bother doing it again).

Oh really? Hopefully once the climbing trail is extended all the way up to the 6th then this becomes the overall quicker route (from Dempsey/Braemar). Looking at the trailforks map I think the total climb trail once completed should be about 3km less than than the BP + road climb, and plus the climbing trail should have less total elevation gain since you have to descend down BP to climb the road. In theory it should be the more efficient route but I'm sure the steeper grade + more challenging climb would complicate this.

I think the ultimate way to have an efficient Fromme climb would be to have a connector from the BP to the 2nd SB, but not sure if this is possible with the Van Tan club in the way… would be great for multiple laps too.

May 7, 2015, 9:28 a.m.

Yes the climbing trail sucks….and the Braemar area as well….please avoid it!

May 7, 2015, 9:29 a.m.

Oh really? Hopefully once the climbing trail is extended all the way up to the 6th then this becomes the overall quicker route (from Dempsey/Braemar). Looking at the trailforks map I think the total climb trail once completed should be about 3km less than than the BP + road climb, and plus the climbing trail should have less total elevation gain since you have to descend down BP to climb the road. In theory it should be the more efficient route but I'm sure the steeper grade + more challenging climb would complicate this.

I think the ultimate way to have an efficient Fromme climb would be to have a connector from the BP to the 2nd SB, but not sure if this is possible with the Van Tan club in the way… would be great for multiple laps too.

I think that right now it's about the same time to climb. I usually park at Braemar/Princess and it's about an hour to climb up to the BP, across to the road, and up to the 6th. For my second lap the other day (i.e. not fresh legs) I did the climbing trail plus hiked up an old loamer to the 6th and it was about an hour as well.

My guess is that it'll maybe save 5 min once the climb goes all the way up but it'll be about a thousand times nicer than the road.

Totally agree that it would be great to have a 2nd SB connector as well. Always great to have better ways to create loops.

May 7, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

FYI. For those that have not checked out the climbing trail yet.

It is an advanced level climbing trail, this is not an easy route for new climbers, you have to have good fitness and be a proficient climber to make this climb worth while. By all means, have at it, but don't expect an easy "access road" like climb. Even good climbers will walk some sections the first time up, there is some punchy stuff that you won't get until you know the trail better.

This is from my personal experience, riding it with a variety of people that are proficient climbers.

May 7, 2015, 10:49 a.m.

FYI. For those that have not checked out the climbing trail yet.

It is an advanced level climbing trail, this is not an easy route for new climbers, you have to have good fitness and be a proficient climber to make this climb worth while. By all means, have at it, but don't expect an easy "access road" like climb. Even good climbers will walk some sections the first time up, there is some punchy stuff that you won't get until you know the trail better.

This is from my personal experience, riding it with a variety of people that are proficient climbers.

Agreed. Technically the climbing route it is a good challenge, but completely doable. For me the bigger challenge is the fitness to pedal from bottom to top. Last time I rode it, my lungs and legs to some extent, forced me to stop and catch my breath, more than once I must say.

For those who have not done the new Fromme climbing trail, think a much longer version of Sticks [HTML_REMOVED] Stones, Salamander, Academy Climb or the new R [HTML_REMOVED] R climb. All very fun and able to be done but definitely a challenge on the fitness side.

It's great to have so many fantastic options !!!

May 10, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

props to all involved in No Quarter. what an awesome addition to the mountain!

May 25, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

I'm confused as to where it is supposed to leave you. Actually ON Executioner, so that you climb up ON Executioner to the road?

That's what happened to me, and I figured I'd screwed something up in my exhaustion-induced delirium. Hats off to anyone who can climb Executioner on a bike…