Forever After-Voluntary Closure

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:20 a.m.

The NSMBA Facebook page is actually a really good place to get recent updates.

flickr

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:26 a.m.

good point, but not everybody uses facebook. it might be worthwhile to have that info posted on other sources too.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 20, 2013, 8:07 a.m.

Question:
How would a person reliably find out about trail closures such as this in the future? Before they are standing at the trail entrance looking at the closed sign?

fair question. slow down and read the signs?

There's a sign at the top of Dales, and the top of FA, and the kiosk at the base of Old Buck, and at the Corkscrew kiosk.

to be fair, it was a 1 week long request for closure during a rainy period

Nov. 20, 2013, 9:50 a.m.

good point, but not everybody uses facebook. it might be worthwhile to have that info posted on other sources too.

Info has to be included elsewhere ….even though I get my info here on NSMB.
I dont Facebook, never have …never will

Nov. 20, 2013, 10:54 a.m.

Info has to be included elsewhere ….even though I get my info here on NSMB.
I dont Facebook, never have …never will

I don’t “Facebook” either. I hate the concept, interface, etc. That said, accessing a publicly accessible Facebook profile (i.e. https://www.facebook.com/nsmba) with relevant trail information is no different than getting it through nsmb. If you want the latest on where your favorite band is playing, you don’t go to their website anymore

Nov. 20, 2013, 11:01 a.m.

In my mind the most logical place to have trail closures displayed would be on the notice boards in the parking lots (ie Old Buck [HTML_REMOVED] Mushroom) That gives the rider the opportunity to change their ride plan before starting the ride

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Nov. 20, 2013, 11:56 p.m.

either here on nsmb (shore or trail maintenance forums) or on the nsmba's website under trails:

http://nsmba.ca/trails

I've been riding all summer and I honestly didn't know the nsmb forums existed until this past Monday. I wasn't sure how often/reliably trail closure notices like this are posted here. I guess I will have to add this to my list of forums to check regularly.

And I often checked the NSMBA main page, but they don't seem to post much minor news there. And unfortunately the "trails" section just links to the TrailForks website info which is pretty hit or miss at the moment (I.e. this Forever After closure was not updated on TrailForks as far as I can tell).

This was a bit of a hand on forehead moment for me. I get almost all my ski resort info from the resort's Facebook pages… but I never thought to check and see if the NSMBA had a Facebook page. I've "liked" it now, so can keep an eye on it.

fair question. slow down and read the signs?

I did word my question stupidly. What I am really looking for is a reliable place to find out about trail closures before I leave my apartment in the morning. So I do not plan a bike ride [HTML_REMOVED] invite everyone out only to find the "objective" trail is closed (it's a problem if the blue trail is closed and not everyone that was invited can switch to a black trail next door, etc.)

Although I'll admit I have a bad habit of not reading the signs at night, especially if I'm the last in the group to arrive and we're all heading out. I had read your suggestion this morning, so I made a point of stopping to read the Fromme board tonight on my way past.

Thanks all for the suggestions (and the kitty pictures). I had hoped there would be one easy place to find all the info all the time, but I guess I'll keep an eye on the above places.

-hps

Nov. 21, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

I think as users we need to be super patient when it comes to this type of info (not that anyone is being a douche).

Info in more places means more updates, and more work to keep ever changing data correct.

I'd say updates are in 1 or 2 locations (trail head [HTML_REMOVED] NSMBA website for ex), and directions on how to find that info at trail kiosks and forums.