Executioner

June 13, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2656529] I'm stoked for what Tap is doing and appreciate the work they're putting in. These guys are securing the future of trails on the North shore and this vocal minority have the nerve to whine about it.

Mapped trails on the North Shore need to be legit and sustainable, and the key Tap players and NSMBA know how to make that happen. Not only that, but they're doing their best to please everyone, they should at least be thanked for that.

This is appreciated by all of us. Thanks!

June 13, 2012, 7:03 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2656529]This debate is played but I'm just going to go on record again to say I'm stoked for what Tap is doing and appreciate the work they're putting in. These guys are securing the future of trails on the North shore and this vocal minority have the nerve to whine about it.

Mapped trails on the North Shore need to be legit and sustainable, and the key Tap players and NSMBA know how to make that happen. Not only that, but they're doing their best to please everyone, they should at least be thanked for that.

The dinosaurs need to realize the comet hit the North Shore sometime around 2000 and need to adapt, migrate or die off. What is truly ridiculous is how much "old school gnar" (old school gnar is a semantic debate unto itself) is still out there. Pretty sure if you just got off the map you'd find some gems that would make you forget about clinging to your chunderf*cked mapped trails pretty quick.

I'm also curious to hear what kind of bikes the whiners are on. I really wonder if they're set up as old school as their taste in trails.

Agreed, like it or not things must change. I'm just happy we still have trails after all these years and I'm relatively still in one piece… well plus a few screws!:P

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 13, 2012, 7:48 p.m.

I think when trails slowly change over time, we as riders either grow with them or grow apart from them. If a trail you loved over a long period of time suddenly changes overnight, exceptance can be a little tough. Sometimes those changes are just bringing it back to what it originally was, sometimes not….I think if these trails are securing the future of mtb'ing on the North Shore(or anywhere for that matter)than the change is good.

I had the chance to ride Boundry late last year and was amazed at how much fun it was….it had been a while since I had the chance to ride that much woodwork in one trail. Sure hope that type of trail can still be a part of MTB'ings future.

To me it seems like at the end of the day, TAP is a huge success. Props to all involved and thanks for all your efforts.

June 13, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

trailfairy appreciates the TAP work and all work done by all people and other fairies.

When trailfairy is in the woods happily fairying away building sweet Scrotum lines trailfairy is happy. Trailfairy sees happy riders. Trailfairy sees happy builders.

In fact, the only place trailfairy sees misery and complainypants is in Crazy Frog Lady's abode and hear in this crazy interwebz board amidst the bleatings of old schoolers and people who, for some reason or other, cannot seem to find rooty, steep trails. In the North Shore! :lol: :lol:

Trailfairy does not care to speculate why old schoolers are unhappy. All this fairy can say is that fairies everywhere :heart::heart::heart: everyone who digs dirt.

Lee Lau

June 13, 2012, 8:40 p.m.

I had the chance to ride Boundry late last year and was amazed at how much fun it was….

Funny you should mention Boundary - when I'm riding well (and it doesn't happen very often!) that is one of my favourite trails, but unfortunately it's going as well

From the DNV ARSS (which has been adopted by council and is still on their website:

Reduce Trail Density for Ecological Gains
A healthy forest understory, higher species diversity, and mature tree stands make for good overall structural diversity on the west side of the Multiple Purpose Recreation Zone. It is recommended to reduce trail density, and lower the intensity of recreational use, in this area

June 13, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

Reduce Trail Density for Ecological Gains
A healthy forest understory, higher species diversity, and mature tree stands make for good overall structural diversity on the west side of the Multiple Purpose Recreation Zone. It is recommended to reduce trail density, and lower the intensity of recreational use, in this area [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; specifically the area adjacent to the Mosquito Creek Preservation Zone. It is recommended to re-classify this area as a Limited Mountain Recreation Zone

(This is basically the area west of Espresso or Kilmer Creek and East of Mosquito Crk - the map isn't accurate to draw exact boundaries)

6. Consolidate Unsustainable Trails for Sustianable MTB Trails
Consolidate Oil Can, Granny's and Crippler into two sustainable Advanced MTB-Primary trails. This will continue to support MTB capacity on the mountain. Consolidation is required as the current trails are unsustainably routed and require a high level of maintenance resources.

Consolidate Trails into Sustainable Lines
Consolidate three trails into two sustainable Advanced MTB-primary trails, making use of the available terrain. Consolidation is required as the current trails are unsustainably routed, infringe upon riparian areas.

(This is the Boundary, Digger and Lower Crippler)

8. Consolidate Skidder Trails
There are numerous skidder and singeltrack trails. Recommend consolidation of multiple LOW USE routes into one hiking only route and one advanced, MTB-primary route with intermediate options. This route to be locatated outside the Preservation Zone

This is the Executioneer, Bitches Brew and Dreamweaver area

(Dunno what happened there, Chrome must not like my pasting text in)

See the long game people…

June 13, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

strange little fairies some of them are…

Thanks to those that are doing the work on the shore and remember that most of the land is PUBLIC land and the "land managers" are supposedly working for the taxpayer, which should be us, and not the other way around. Although we all know the bureaucracy has got to most of them, it is still our job to remind them and fight for our rights to use OUR public land as WE deem appropriate.

Of course we can't go around wrecking the shit, but they do need to be regularly reminded what the shore looked like 60 years ago…..

(surveyors somewhere in North Van)

Here's the top of Neds.

…..and the minimal damage the bike trails do whether "sustainable" or not. Especially when it comes to closing lines or entire trails for whatever reason.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

June 13, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

CBC tower: 1956

June 13, 2012, 10:27 p.m.

Mushroom parking lot! Good Find!

QFT, they're land Managers, they have a job and go home at the end of the day. They don't share the same passion for the trails that we do.

the "land managers" are supposedly working for the taxpayer, which should be us, and not the other way around. Although we all know the bureaucracy has got to most of them, it is still our job to remind them and fight for our rights to use OUR public land as WE deem appropriate.

Here's the top of Neds.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 13, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

Here's the top of Neds.

An excellent, excellent observation. Those skidder roads could deserve heritage protection!

June 14, 2012, 7:51 a.m.

Not many smooth bermed jumpy trails in this vid.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/261458/

June 14, 2012, 9:23 a.m.

Now that was an awesome vid! Not too many mapped trails in that one though. I'm surprised how much I didn't recognize.

June 14, 2012, 10:20 p.m.

this thread needs some of this.

June 15, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

Not many smooth bermed jumpy trails in this vid.

Not a "TAP"ped trail ? Therefore bumpy and rooty….

Stirs pot….

June 16, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

……