Dogs and slats

Aug. 12, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

Bullshit.
These are bridges built for hikers that have no business exiting a Costco parking lot.

Why so angry bro?

You not get sarcasm?

Aug. 12, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Uh oh, thread might go down the NSMB derail.

I am a trail builder. So familiar with building bridges. I was curious if there was truth to "dogs hurting themselves on bridges". Just wanted validation that this was a true concern and not some fictional fact.

A commentator stated, that when dogs, change their minds and turn around, on a bridge it is a sketchy move. I agree with that.

Personally, slat bridge spacing for me has a lot to do with how far my harvest tree is from the bridge zone. If it is close, my slats are close, if it is far… Well I get lazy and my spacing grows.

I guess I have learnt, that people prefer tight spacing, gunk is an issue, and no one has an anecdotal story of a dog breaking his leg - yet.

I do recognize that when my dog goes over bridges, he tends to become hyper aware of what his feet are doing and either walks like a ballerina, jumps the bridge, or runs beside it.

Aug. 12, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

Why so angry bro?

You not get sarcasm?

Aug. 12, 2015, 6:41 p.m.

Bullshit.
These are bridges built for hikers that have no business exiting a Costco parking lot.

hehehe, yes true. Hikers, along with bikers, maintenance vehicles, dogs, all travelling in either direction, occasionally at the same time. That monstrosity is on a highly used trail that is 12' in width for a few kilometres, so I think it works.

I only shared the photos to show that I apply my preferred deck spacing on the various styles of bridge construction.

..but as with anything, to each his own.

:):beer:

Builder for hire.

Sept. 13, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

It went right over my head I guess…haha

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:18 p.m.

i fell on a bridge and had my elbow slip between the rungs . almost broke my arm and shoulder had my son not stopped me from rolling off the bridge with my arm still caught between the rungs . , if a elbow with a pad on it can slip thru a rung , i can easily see a dog falling thru and breaking or injuring a leg or paw .

on the bridge projects i have been on we leave roughly 3/4" between the rungs , this is with split rungs on logs not saw cut boards .

#northsidetrailbuilders