Dales WTF?

Oct. 9, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

^ i did both iterations of the race. the powerline climb was sinister. i seem to recall (foggily) that there was actually dirt on the dales line back then. also remember snapping my rear brake cable mid race [HTML_REMOVED] riding severed w/ front brake only. fun events.

Oct. 9, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

^ i did both iterations of the race. the powerline climb was sinister. i seem to recall (foggily) that there was actually dirt on the dales line back then. also remember snapping my rear brake cable mid race [HTML_REMOVED] riding severed w/ front brake only. fun events.

yea i raced that race 4 or 5 times.. i def recall that pwr line climb as being burly…im thinkn that was 93-94? i placed 2nd there as an expert in 94 or 95… /glory days retelling

there was dirt on dales and in general the shore looked a lot different than it does today…

Oct. 9, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

who remembers the hell of the north the year we climbed up teh pwr lines to drop into the down?

I do. Vaguely. I think that year that was pro expert but not vets so I didn't have to do that. No recollection of riding hell of the north down Dales. Ned's and Severed featured the years I did it.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 9, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

This.

One of these days I need to man up and hit is straight down the gut.

do it at night.

i did a night ride with rat ages ago using a single halogen light.
actually i had a candle taped to the handlebars, but whatever.

anyway i was bombing along and thinking that big roll is coming up somewhere.
gotta look for the left turn to do the tailwhip into the chute.
then i got to a flat spot where rat was waiting and i was like "where's that big roll?"

i had just pinned it without even blinking.

so ya, at night, with sunglasses on, no problemo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 9, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

I do. Vaguely. I think that year that was pro expert but not vets so I didn't have to do that. No recollection of riding hell of the north down Dales. Ned's and Severed featured the years I did it.

Agree with you - I don't remember Dales either. I believe it was '95 that I raced it and I remember the 3 laps being Severed, Neds, and down the powerlines back into bridlepath/badenpowell. The climbing was brutal, that much I recall vividly.

Oct. 9, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

So, who remembers that move when it was part of the Hell of the North "XC" race route?

I remember the rope that hung down the rockface!

Kn.

Old people. :)

Ya young whippersnappers! The good ol' days, on my Kona Explosif, with those great v-brakes….I do recall actual loam on the top part of Dales.

Oct. 9, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

Asphalt. That's the answer, asphalt.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 10, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

what's the point. haters gonna hate. builders gonna build what they wanna build. whiners gonna whine. mountain bikers gonna douche up the backcountry and generally be tools.

The force is strong with this one.

Oct. 10, 2013, 11:32 a.m.

what's the point. haters gonna hate. builders gonna build what they wanna build. whiners gonna whine. mountain bikers gonna douche up the backcountry and generally be tools.

May I ask why you build trails? It seems like you hate mountain cyclists.

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 10, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

May I ask why you build trails? ….

if you have to ask ,you will never know….

Oct. 10, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

Jump biking.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 10, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

in its last year ~1999 the Hell of the North did 3 laps (at least for vet expert) Dales and Severed back to Old Buck

Oct. 10, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

in its last year ~1999 the Hell of the North did 3 laps (at least for vet expert) Dales and Severed back to Old Buck

Yup, up the gravel power line climb from Dales 3 times and I didn't clean it once.

Oct. 10, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

Jump biking.

Kn.

Ernie Crist IS dead, isn't he?

Thread killer