Dales WTF?

Oct. 8, 2013, 3:58 p.m.

You need a permit to clear deadfall? Seriously?

Deadfall is serious business.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 8, 2013, 4:08 p.m.

round and round and round we go…
what could nsmba do or say to make this more clear?
more "stunts" will be removed in the future as they die, get over it.

Oct. 8, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

Apparently you need a permit to wipe your ass or skid on a 29er in North Van.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 8, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

Does anyone out there appreciate the work done on Dale's? How about the word done on Expresso?

They say that people are 13 times more likely to complain than praise. The internet suggest this stat is accurate.

Oct. 8, 2013, 4:48 p.m.

I don't ride it that often, but when I do I like Dale's more now than I did pre-TAP

Oct. 8, 2013, 4:51 p.m.

You are welcome to think that but I'm certain I'm safely on side.

We heard loud and clear from you and others that people didn't want us to change the character of the trail. So we left it. We haven't changed it, dumbed it down, nor dumbed it up. We've hardly even walked it. And we're not going to touch it. I guess you meant onus? Anyway we have made a line that is an alternative so those who yelled so loudly to have the line preserved could have their wishes come true. You can be sure that nobody from the district nor any riders would object to anyone repairing the aging stunts etc. But that hasn't happened.

I also didn't insult those who haven't lifted a finger aside from using it to push a sharpie and offensively giving us directions on stunts (you I presume). I was directing that comment at those people who were being offensive to Morgan who has done nothing to deserve it. Unless you consider me calling them whiners an insult. If that's the case your skin isn't thick enough for the internet.

Calm down big guy, I'm not attacking you or the great work you and your crew is doing on the trails. I appreciate the discretion you took with your approach to the trail. Nor am I defending the people that are insulting Morgan. In fact I didn't say anything about either subject. Sometimes I have a tough time expressing myself, and that short coming is worst on a forum. I appreciate how emotionally involved one can become in a trail building project, and how easily one can become defensive. Please bare with me and I'll try and say it a different way.

All I was commenting on is that there is permit process in place. The district only issues a permit for a trail to one person(or group) at one time. My understanding is that they do this to avoid conflicts between builders, and for better accountability. To do any saw work/dead fall clearing on the Expresso, you need to have that permission from the land manager, which they won't issue, as you (NSMB) already hold "the permit". One can get a "general trail permit" but you need to have an established relationship with the district to get one. With this in mind I feel that it is unfair to call out "whoever" on the subject of doing that work; they are simply not allowed.

With regards to the Sharpie stuff, that wasn't me.

Oct. 8, 2013, 5:02 p.m.

Dales is in great shape after being tapped.
Expresso is too but is over so fast now that the chunder is gone.

Oct. 8, 2013, 5:03 p.m.

Calm down big guy, I'm not attacking you or the great work you and your crew is doing on the trails. I appreciate the discretion you took with your approach to the trail. Nor am I defending the people that are insulting Morgan. In fact I didn't say anything about either subject. Sometimes I have a tough time expressing myself, and that short coming is worst on a forum. I appreciate how emotionally involved one can become in a trail building project, and how easily one can become defensive. Please bare with me and I'll try and say it a different way.

All I was commenting on is that there is permit process in place. The district only issues a permit for a trail to one person(or group) at one time. My understanding is that they do this to avoid conflicts between builders, and for better accountability. To do any saw work/dead fall clearing on the Expresso, you need to have that permission from the land manager, which they won't issue, as you (NSMB) already hold "the permit". One can get a "general trail permit" but you need to have an established relationship with the district to get one. With this in mind I feel that it is unfair to call out "whoever" on the subject of doing that work; they are simply not allowed.

With regards to the Sharpie stuff, that wasn't me.

Has anyone actually inquired to the district about restoring the original line? I doubt you need a permit to throw branches off a trail.

Has it been cleared of everything except where a saw is needed?

You see where I'm going here…

Oct. 8, 2013, 5:26 p.m.

When features such as the a-frame on Ned's, and the ladder on Dales are removed, can they be replaced? I don't want to ride rotten structures so I'm happy that old sketchy woodwork is assessed and removed when it needs to be, but I'd like to see them replaced with similar features and I'm happy to help out doing so. Apparently the NSMBA builders academy will be doing a session including woodwork soon…
I enjoy the fast flowy stuff as much as the next rider, especially when I am short of time, but on Fromme I prefer some slow tech challenges that make the descent a bit longer. It would be great if the original Expresso line was cleared also, I'd walk up and do it myself but I don't have a chainsaw, nor the knowledge to start cutting away possibly loaded deadfall.

Oct. 8, 2013, 6:04 p.m.

… or skid on a 29er in North Van.

29'rs should be on a permit only basis as is…maybe 100 /yr..

the devils whl size i tell you…

Oct. 8, 2013, 6:11 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2783421]What ???

no more memories being made while hammering chicken wire on wooden stunt with Uncle Duke ?[/QUOTE]

those were some good times (before they got out of hand:rave:)

..sadly the collided w my common law divorce so i wasnt always at my best..

stunts are bunk to maintain tho..

always love'd you + sven :)..im going to name a cat after you one day for sure..;)

Oct. 8, 2013, 6:24 p.m.

that's my other brother Daryl btw duke…

Oct. 8, 2013, 6:31 p.m.

yer going by hanna now? ok sorry about that….

Oct. 8, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

Does anyone out there appreciate the work done on Dale's? How about the word done on Expresso?

They say that people are 13 times more likely to complain than praise. The internet suggest this stat is accurate.

I like the new work. Rode Dales / AfterDales with friends in the sun on Sunday. I missed the bridge… but I had a hell of a fun ride on all the great new work. Thanks.

Oct. 9, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

Since we're all talking about Dale's here, I have an honest question: The big crux move, how many people actually ride it? Anyone have any tips for riding it?

Right now it's a little beyond my courage level. One day I hope to ride it, but it's a no go at the moment. Is there any plans for a viable b-line around that feature? I hate having to get off and walk every time.

After all the TAP work, the rest of the trail seems to run so nice that the crux sticks out a bit. A double black feature on a blue square trail.

EDIT: PS Cam, Dale's and Expresso are running great. I, for one, am loving all the TAPped trails.

Ride, don't slide.