Dales WTF?

Oct. 9, 2013, 9:18 a.m.

Speaking of wood work.

If anyone is interested in helping I will be up this holiday Monday near the top of Pipeline as I work to replace and upgrade all the wood on this trail.

Oct. 9, 2013, 9:47 a.m.

Since we're all talking about Dale's here, I have an honest question: The big crux move, how many people actually ride it? Anyone have any tips for riding it?

Tips? Hero conditions and commit? It's a gnarly chute.

There are definitely guys that ride it (not me), and it's pretty sick to watch them… but it's not worth lugging all the protective gear I would want on that trail just to hit that one move IMO. Dales/Afterdales is so much more pleasant in an AM lid and kneepads.

Oct. 9, 2013, 9:49 a.m.

Since we're all talking about Dale's here, I have an honest question: The big crux move, how many people actually ride it? Anyone have any tips for riding it?

Point and shoot and see how it goes. Actually there are 2 lines on the crux. The gnarly right hander or the line in the middle to the rock berm. The second option is not so bad and did it on my 29er all the time. You just have to get the approach and creep in.

As far as a reroute, the terrain is pretty rugged and would involve too much work from what I remember. With the good parts of AfterTaste gone, it's nice to have some gnar.

:canada:

Oct. 9, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

I used to swing wide on the rock to line up the approach to it straight. There used to be a little pecker pole on the left at the top of the roll in for reference,but now you need to spot a point on the rock.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 9, 2013, 10:28 a.m.

I start far left and head diagonally right. The chundry chute after is worse than the crux itself. The hardest part of the crux is getting far enough left at the top to line it up without stopping to reposition. It's a really fun line.

Oct. 9, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

I start far left and head diagonally right. The chundry chute after is worse than the crux itself. The hardest part of the crux is getting far enough left at the top to line it up without stopping to reposition. It's a really fun line.

This.

One of these days I need to man up and hit is straight down the gut.

Oct. 9, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

I used to hit that feature without a second thought, never had anything go terribly wrong. Just go for it.

Now I'm older and more controlled by my own fear. Also two significant injuries since I last rode that line means less tolerance for risk.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 9, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

yep, if you get the start the rest is not that bad. But the best part is you cant take that line out :P

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

I don't ride it. Even though I probably have the skills if I'd just sack up - the truth is I don't think that I'll ever ride it. I've seen friends do it clean and I've seen some mega-sketchy moves down it as well as some big crashes. The risk just seems too high for me.

Back when the line was was Dale's to Aftertaste, I feel like the crux move made more sense in the context of the zone's overall difficulty. But now that I really use Dale's/Forever After as part of an XC loop and the overall difficulty is lower (and I don't mean that negatively, I like it a lot), I'd love to see a squid line around the crux. I know I'm not the only one.

It's a cool move and I would never suggest to close it off - if you've got the skills to pay the bills then of course you want to hit it. But there's a large contingent of folks that are just never going to get there but love the rest of the trail as well as Forever After.

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

I don't ride it. Even though I probably have the skills if I'd just sack up - the truth is I don't think that I'll ever ride it.

that's where i'm at. i'm in xc mode when riding that trail (hardtail, clipped in, no armour) and usually solo; in a fairly risk adverse mindset. not cleaning tech lines used to really bother me, but I've come to grips with it in my old(er) age. killing the flow bothers me more than anything else. don't like stopping. sigh.

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:41 p.m.

So, who remembers that move when it was part of the Hell of the North "XC" race route?

Kn.

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

So, who remembers that move when it was part of the Hell of the North "XC" race route?

Kn.

Old people. :)

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

Kn.

The lower part was a lot easier back then

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:49 p.m.

The lower part was a lot easier back then

Shush, you. I remember it as being uphill both ways, except for the gnarly descending moves.

Kn.

Oct. 9, 2013, 1:55 p.m.

who remembers the hell of the north the year we climbed up teh pwr lines to drop into the down?