Cypress Trail Plan

Nov. 17, 2015, 1:30 p.m.

economics are against us but the municipality still issues the permits and a little environmental rhetoric goes pretty far, even in circles of people who will rarely venture into the woods.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 17, 2015, 4:33 p.m.

Yup, developers must follow zoning regulations and can’t build anything without a permit. This is the zoning map of the Upper Lands.

http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/gov/docs/Committees-Groups/working-groups/upper-lands/2014/Map%204%20Zoning.pdf

And from the DWV website:

"Most of the land below 1,200 feet is zoned RS-2, which is single family housing at just over 2 (2.17) units per acre. Most of the land above 1,200 feet is zoned for Community Use, which allows for some community uses as well as private cabins at low densities"

Nov. 19, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

FIRST POST!!!

I live right near the bottom of Cypress below the highway so these trails are the ones Im on most of the time.

Im also vaguely familiar with the development plan and my understanding is that they will dribble plots of land out very slowly, not much at a time.

Also, if you look at the maps, you will see that its really only the bottom of the trails that are impacted. I dont see the development changing the higher areas in any way, and that is where most of the trails are. Plus, the higher land wont work well for residential - its too inaccessible!

Nov. 19, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

The "just the bottom" of Seymour was also impacted in the the past with new houses. Empress became Empress Bypass.

Nov. 19, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

FIRST POST!!!

I live right near the bottom of Cypress below the highway so these trails are the ones Im on most of the time.

Im also vaguely familiar with the development plan and my understanding is that they will dribble plots of land out very slowly, not much at a time.

Also, if you look at the maps, you will see that its really only the bottom of the trails that are impacted. I dont see the development changing the higher areas in any way, and that is where most of the trails are. Plus, the higher land wont work well for residential - its too inaccessible!

Welcome Ddean. Good to hear from a local rider. We should talk. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make areas accessible!

Don't be surprised if Cypress Village rolls out faster than the residences around it. Developing retail/commercial space if different from selling houses. Being first to market is more important, especially in recreation market. There's other factors too.

The potential for recreation on Cypress is huge. The increase in traffic alone will impact the trails higher up. Think big!

Nov. 19, 2015, 5:22 p.m.

Welcome Ddean. Good to hear from a local rider. We should talk. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make areas accessible!

Don't be surprised if Cypress Village rolls out faster than the residences around it. Developing retail/commercial space if different from selling houses. Being first to market is more important, especially in recreation market. There's other factors too.

The potential for recreation on Cypress is huge. The increase in traffic alone will impact the trails higher up. Think big!

We should talk. I just moved here from Toronto and would benefit from knowing more locals! Ive met a number of riders as I grind up BLT (with my dog) but most of them seem to be headed down!

Nov. 25, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

Thanks for stepping up and being a voice for the trail builders, Carolyn. I'm so glad you're involved.

Makes two of us. I am not a builder. Carolyn is. She knows trails, she knows zones, she knows the terrain. As the DWV gets into the trail conversation, she is the better person to take that on.

Feel free Carolyn to use the MTB Cypress news outlet for your messages. I offered it to you and Kever earlier this spring, offer is still open, let me know if that interests you for economies of scale- the interested parties are already there too. Thanks again.

Talk less, Say More.