Cumberland trails: a farewell to Thirsty Beaver and more

July 30, 2015, 6:04 p.m.

sentimentality alert. the following may annoy you if you are not a bleeding heart nature boy/girl….

so Thirsty Beaver is on the chopping block, pronto. the machines are forming and road building and logging is starting any time. the tape has been in place for weeks and it's really going to happen; this gorgeous trail and forest is going to be liquidated. there are a number of other favourites soon to follow.

i arrived in the Valley about 6 yrs ago with limited mtn biking experience and got immersed in the sport here. TB was brand new and i remember how far up and remote it felt and how challenging it was. it was also the most exciting and beautiful trail in an enchanted feeling forest. my girlfriend got pissed off at me the first time i brought her up there because she wasn't ready but i told her to just enjoy and walk it then. so she did and then rode part of it the next time and so on. now it's her fav and she rips it.

anyhow i'm sad to see it go because i'm that kind of guy and i know they will rebuild it in the cut block and all that but still. next time you are enduroing down the trail as fast as possible stop right in the middle and gaze around and think of all the wild things that live there and how long it took to get that way. i know lumber has to come from somewhere i wish it wasn't these nearby forests….

July 31, 2015, 5:16 a.m.

Sorry for your guys loss. I was lucky enough to ride it a couple of times.

July 31, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

Loops in Cumberland wont be the same without the beaver! Good to have known and ridden it several times….

July 31, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

Sad to hear. I rode it a couple of times last year, but my friends haven't invited me back again since I took them down Queso Grande.

July 31, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

did they not like Queso? the remotest trail in the area and my personal fav. not everyone's though. it's been taped and at least a section of it will be logged as well, this fall i believe.

July 31, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

Whhhhaaattt! Queso is being logged as well?!! Shit

Aug. 23, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

bummer, those trails were fun. its part of the life cycle of trails around here unfortunately. in general, the logging industry is very mountain bike friendly, but some losses are inevitable.