Chainsaw supplies

July 20, 2012, 11:23 a.m.

I have a small/mid size chainsaw but need to get some supplies.

Ya, I know I could go to Cdn Tire but where are people buying their supplies?

Want to get a case for it so it doesn't tear up camping stuff in the back of the van, faller pants, chain oil, non-leaking fuel bottles.

(There used to be a chainsaw thread on NSMB but I searched and couldn't find it, maybe the title isn't obvious?)

As for chainsaw safety, I ran a saw for Park Canada for 2 summers back in the dark ages so I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Will pass out rep where I can.

July 20, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

Whomever your local stihl/husky dealer is. Prospect equipment in mission for me.

July 20, 2012, 11:53 a.m.

I use msr camp fuel bottles from mec.

July 20, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

Craig ! Sent you a p.m.

tim

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

July 20, 2012, 3:22 p.m.

I see you are in north delta…theres a place in surrey on the corner of 72 and 134…I think it's called Fraser valley equipment.

July 20, 2012, 4:25 p.m.

RR rentals in Ladner mate! I think you know Brett, pres of the SBC. Oh yeah hes a stihl dealer.

diggin

July 21, 2012, 2:37 p.m.

I see you are in north delta…theres a place in surrey on the corner of 72 and 134…I think it's called Fraser valley equipment.

Thanks for the tip, picked up a set of Stihl chaps this afternoon. They sure aren't cheap though.

Amazing that with the amount of chain saws that Cdn Tire sells, they don't sell the safety gear. Also they no longer have the chainsaw case they used to sell.

July 23, 2012, 11:11 a.m.

Thanks for the tip, pick up a set of Stihl chaps this afternoon. They sure aren't cheap though.

Amazing that with the amount of chain saws that Cdn Tire sells, they don't sell the safety gear. Also then no longer have the chain saw case they used to sell.

Check out Bailey's as well: http://www.baileysonline.com/

Lots of stuff and better prices on most everything. Some of their OEM part supply is limited as Stihl prohibits interwebs sales, but you just have to check. I buy almost all my parts and gear from these guys…lots of chain.

Also, if you wear a helmet/faceguard/muff combo, the one that Home Depot sells appears to be holding up to my abuse just as well as the Stihl one that I previously had at half the cost.

www.mmbts.com

July 23, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

Also, if you wear a helmet/faceguard/muff combo, the one that Home Depot sells appears to be holding up to my abuse just as well as the Stihl one that I previously had at half the cost.

Thanks for the tip. Last night I was using a set of ear muffs I already had and some safety glasses with side shields and was sweating up a storm. I need to get a face shield to be cooler.

July 23, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

Thanks for the tip. Last night I was using a set of ear muffs I already had and some safety glasses with side shields and was sweating up a storm. I need to get a face shield to be cooler.

Bugz-eyes work well if you don't need the full helmet and face shield. The hard had on the combo is hot as balls and I drill the hell out of mine for ventilation…it's not like I'm falling trees so much that I'd need a full hard hat anyways. Face shield is nice to keep getting whacked in the face with brush and flying debris…

www.mmbts.com

July 23, 2012, 7:45 p.m.

imo
I have tried lots of different combo's in cutting.
Pay the extra money for cutting pants min. 3900 cutting pants.
I know they cost a lot but dying is so final. don't be a statistic.
buy a four or six contact hardhat with faceshield and earmuffs.(they help the hardhat stay on as you bend over in the course of your work)
I go to a logger store in Mission (prospect equipment,), they know what they talk about as they deal with a lot of loggers.
people who make a living in the bush.
The more I cut in the bush, the more I know I don't know.
Never lose your attitude of, you could die.
I just finished a course paid for by MOF and did I learn a lot.
For a $1.95 a elastic pressure dressing compression bandage.
Ever been around someone where a ugly thing has happened?
you want to have this cheap " so important item"
I am going to pick up a couple of packages and give them to all of our builders,who use chainsaws.
I also downloaded so many vid on youtube to see if I could learn different ways to take out blowdown.
Personally ,not a very nice thing to do,but at times I have had to do it.
Good luck and be careful, mtnbikers need more helpers.
Gary
ps,
PM when you get a chance.

FVMBA Website

July 23, 2012, 10:41 p.m.

North Van - Pacific Arborist or Arrow Equipment. Don't cheap out on the safety gear.

BCIT has a very good chainsaw course, taught by one stormin Norman, retired logger. Well worth the investment if you want to keep your limbs in one piece and watch him swing a saw that's almost as long as he is tall.

July 24, 2012, 9:38 a.m.

BCIT has a very good chainsaw course, taught by one stormin Norman, retired logger.

Is this the course: http://www.bcit.ca/study/outlines/renr1145201230

July 25, 2012, 11:37 a.m.

Bugz-eyes work well if you don't need the full helmet and face shield. The hard had on the combo is hot as balls and I drill the hell out of mine for ventilation…it's not like I'm falling trees so much that I'd need a full hard hat anyways. Face shield is nice to keep getting whacked in the face with brush and flying debris…

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/outdoor-safety-eye-protection-metal-mesh-shield-goggle-black-57360?item=40

July 26, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

Is this the course: http://www.bcit.ca/study/outlines/renr1145201230

I don't know, but quite possibly (it was arranged through the GVRD/NSMBA when I went). Email Maryann http://www.bcit.ca/study/courses/renr1145 and ask her if Norman teaches it.