Chainsaw bag recommendation?

July 12, 2015, 9:03 a.m.

While its a desert out there I've been debating getting a bag for my saws as I usually hand carry up to the trails. Been looking at the dakine builders bag

Any other ideas? What do you guys use?

yeah bro!!

July 12, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

thats what i got - it's great. good volume, carries the saw snug so it doesnt swing around while hiking in

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 12, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

I have a Dakine pack but I don't use it to carry my saw for a couple of reasons:

1. the hole in the bottom of the saw pouch is not big enough for the rear handle of the saw so I find it doesn't fit in there all that snug.
2. if I happen to slip or stumble hiking down the trail then I don't like the idea of landing on my back on the saw or having the bar hit me in the back of the head/neck.

What I do is use a plastic scabbard for the bar with an old school roach style arm/elbow guard slipped over the scabbard and then carry it on my shoulder with the power head behind me and I hold onto the scabbard/bar. Between the padded shoulder strap of the pack and arm pad it's comfortable enough and I find it balances fairly well on my shoulder too. This leave a bit more room in the pack for other things like a roll of TP, an essential if you're out building all day.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 12, 2015, 9:55 a.m.

depends on the size of your saw but with a 16" bar I have no problem just using an old MEC hiking pack (probably 50/60l or so). Stick the saw right in the pack, plenty of space for other stuff inside too, better straps/harness than the dakine pack for carrying heavy loads. Often I use some of the other straps to secure my pulaski or other tools.

I happen to think that while the Dakine builder pack is cool it's kind of gimmicky and way overpriced for something that'll inevitably get drenched in gas and bar oil.

July 12, 2015, 10 a.m.

The green one is the original version, the newer model is black.

Main difference I've noticed is the fuel pockets on the green are too small for 1L MSR fuel bottles. The bottles fit, they just aren't deep enough to close the zippers.

I have the black version and have used it quite a bit for ride in trail clearing, it isn't perfect but does the job.

On my last trip I did crash while wearing it with a saw on my back. No issues with the saw hitting me, just bruises on shoulder [HTML_REMOVED] thigh from hitting the ground falling off the side of the trail.

I carry the chaps [HTML_REMOVED] ear muffs in the flat pocket right under the saw. It is reasonably quick to stop, take the saw off the bag, then get the chaps and ear muffs out. Make the cuts, then all it back on the pack.

I carry the bar oil, wrench, hatchet, wedges, spare chains [HTML_REMOVED] spare bar nuts in the main and smaller pockets.

(Normally I don't ride with hard hat attached but was planning to do a hike without the bike.)

Original green version, you might be able to see the top of the fuel bottle in the side pocket and the extra zip ties I added to stop the zipper creeping down.

July 12, 2015, 8:18 p.m.

Thanks guys!

yeah bro!!

July 12, 2015, 8:37 p.m.

I have the Dakine if you want to check it out?

I had an old backpack that I used to carry my saw and when I was hiking up the mountain it seemed decent but after a long day of working, hiking down the mountain it seemed to show its short coming. Didn't sit right, moved around a lot…and made my back sore(well worse than it should have been)

Anyhow, got the Dakine and it really seemed like an improvement. I've even used it on the trials bike and it seems to stay pretty snug and comfy.

July 12, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

A pack frame works well and can be used to carry all sorts of bulky items.

I also have one of these on my big saw and it is great for doing lots of hiking and clearing. It is quick to use and the shoulder pad keeps you somewhat protected.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Chainsaw-Bar-Scabbards/Miscellaneous/Green-Valley-Products-Chainsaw-Bar-Scabbard-and-Tool-Pouch.axd

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 12, 2015, 9:36 p.m.

I agree, if I was carrying a big saw I'd want to carry it close to my back like your frame pack, or use one of the packs forest fire fighters use.

When I looked into it, they are even more expensive than the Dakine Builder pack.

http://www.wildlandwarehouse.com/wwcatalog/Mackenzie_Chainsaw_Pack_P11612C68.cfm

July 12, 2015, 10:07 p.m.

^^^ That is a cool looking rig.

My pack frame was quite expensive but I can use it with a normal backpack type bag so I do get a lot of use out of it.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

July 13, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

any pack that can carry skis or snow boards can also carry a chainsaw

i would go around 50 L if you want room for lots of fuel, tools, safety gear, rain gear, etc. that Dakine pack is just too small.

July 13, 2015, 4:23 p.m.

Have used the dakine bag and really don't like it. It is really awkward and offers no support. I really think that bag is only appropriate for a small saw and for riding with a saw. The bag is so uncomfortable for my 362xp that I was on the verge of buying a smaller saw for carrying in to trails more than a 15 minute hike. My back and shoulders would just kill after hiking more than 10 minutes with it loaded up.

I them tried putting it in the arcteryx hiking pack and was amazed at how easy the saw carried. I forget the model but it's a 65 litre bag which is able to fit the entire saw inside (20 inch bar). I then stuff my chaps etc beside it to keep it snug and off you go. I've done 2 hour plus hikes with it easily. The extra nice part is the bag can be cinched up to fully enclose the saw which keeps it dry especially if I stash it overnight.

Highly recommend trying a good hiking pack over the dakine bag. However I'd be happy to send the dakine bag to someone who'd like it as I'll never use it again.

And in case you were wondering I build 5 days a week and carry my saw in each time so I'm speaking from experience.

Matt Preston

July 13, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

Highly recommend trying a good hiking pack over the dakine bag. However I'd be happy to send the dakine bag to someone who'd like it as I'll never use it

PM sent!

yeah bro!!

July 19, 2015, 3:42 p.m.

The green one is the original version, the newer model is black.

Main difference I've noticed is the fuel pockets on the green are too small for 1L MSR fuel bottles. The bottles fit, they just aren't deep enough to close the zippers.
]

I have found the trufuel pre-mix gas cans work in the green version. I just refill those as required.

I also can't carry a saw in my dakine pack - with all the beer I have to carry it gets too heavy too far back….so it all just goes on the big bob.

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

www.mmbts.com