Cambodia decommissioned

July 25, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

The real question is why Metro was on good terms with the NSMBa and now are not? Mike Mayers is the main guy at Metro.

:canada:

July 25, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

So taking a step back, I have a few questions:

- How can we get clarity on the boundaries of the different mangement areas? Surely someone must have this information and an accurate map that can be overlaid with bike trails.

This map may be one you are looking for. Although it has been said by others here that the various maps of this area are not exactly the same as this one.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2881284[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=27

In general, both West Van and DNV have map websites of their areas, and if you have the time and patience you can eventually find/make a map of any specific area on the north shore.

July 25, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

The real question is why Metro was on good terms with the NSMBa and now are not? Mike Mayers is the main guy at Metro.

This is hearsay but it appears that Mike Mayers has been dangling a carrot in front of the NSMBA. First Lola was to be rebuilt with cedar to replace hemlock, with nothing above 4ft. Then it was 2ft. Then it was decommissioned. Then Cambodia was to become sanctioned. Now it is gone. There was a proposition to build a new trail into Cambodia that was being considered, but it was declined in the end. Then there's the non-existent bridge spanning the creek on TNT. NSMBA could build a bridge, but metro wants to do it, probably on their terms which would mean a full trail rebuild with a machine.

So, if the NSMBA and Mike Mayers are not on good terms, then it is probably because metro changes its mind so much and is strictly limiting what the NSMBA is allowed to do up there.

July 25, 2015, 11:39 p.m.

Has anyone considered passive resistance? In the meaning of taking action to oppose destruction of bridges etc? Likely metrovan is not finished their "work" on trails in the LSCR. And most of that "work" is likely done early in the day, weekdays, when they think mtn bikers are all asleep. But if we had people posted at trailheads into the lower seymour area where we knew they might enter, we could do things like lie down on bridges and other structures when we saw them coming.

Imagine the publicity this would get. Poor mtn bikers have trails destroyed by local government!

Just a suggestion…

BTW: Some of those bridges that have been taken out had LSCR stickers on them with a number, which is done to approve the structure. Such as the first two I mentioned in an earlier post. But those small labels appear to have been removed.

July 26, 2015, 8:57 a.m.

The decommissioning of Cambodia puts Metros "work" if you call it that on Dales in a whole new light. I suspect for liability reasons only Metro wants nothing of any challenge at all. Pure groomed trails with minimal risk. Dales was not redone to restore it but to groom out the challenging bits that offered obvious risk (the rockfaces are hard and the results of failure are not going to be light, especially for newer riders). So it seems to me the mandate by these idiots is to groom everything and remove any challenge or risk. If I am right, then any trail on Metro land will be either: decommissioned since the work involved will be too great or groomed out. Bright future indeed.

July 26, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

It would seem the NSMBA has failed. Once again.

July 26, 2015, 10:08 a.m.

I'd bet good money (if I had it….) that it's the 'flow' trails in WBP that send the majority of people to the clinic / hospital.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 26, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

It would seem the NSMBA has failed. Once again.

no, you can't say that.

the nsmba does not really have any influence with metro and the lscr and it is clear by now that metro and the lscr are going to do what they feel is best on the land they manage.

the nsmba has done a great job in working with the DNV and i think both groups are to be commended on the working relationship they have achieved.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 26, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

no, you can't say that.

the nsmba does not really have any influence with metro and the lscr and it is clear by now that metro and the lscr are going to do what they feel is best on the land they manage.

the nsmba has done a great job in working with the DNV and i think both groups are to be commended on the working relationship they have achieved.

i just want to second this.

as shirk said, the NSMBA was not consulted, and the way things have been going, there is no reason to doubt this.

bottom line is Metro is just doing whatever the hell they want and they clearly don't feel the need to consult anyone, including the NSMBA.

July 27, 2015, 12:07 a.m.

Lola was named after the woman who died on the trail. I hope that if Lola is decommissioned they will leave the metal plaque on a rock on the trail that commemorates her.

Cant leave this one alone. Not even fucken close to the truth. Dubprof, ask him.

diggin

July 27, 2015, 2:27 p.m.

you must have missed this:

Thanks for the detailed info, Syncro, I will study it.

Board meeting this Fri at 9am? Yeesh. Nice that they make it pretty damn near impossible for working members of the public to attend.

July 27, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

the other thing i want to know is how Metro was able to run chain saws up there during the recent fire danger before last weekend's rain. Metro risking forest fires to cut out a few wood structures?

July 27, 2015, 3:10 p.m.

Has anyone considered passive resistance?

Yes. Pitch forks. Civil disobedience. I was thinking about that too.

What they're doing is so wrong, wasteful and ineffective on many levels. What would people be willing to accept, in terms of legal risk, if it were to come to that? What if they call the cops? If they ask you to leave and you don't, what is that? Misdemeanor trespassing? I don't know how many mountain bikers would be willing to lie down and be arrested to save a trail, but yes, that thought did occur to me.

Cambodia is really cool, and if the situation was different, a sanctioned version of Cambodia would be fantastic. But I can understand why they don't want trails as rowdy as Cambodia in its present form. It's a trail I would have liked to ride at least a couple more times, but it's not a trail that I would be willing to be arrested for.

CBC is another matter altogether. Losing CBC to a bulldozer, wanton destruction funded by public monies, to put a beginner trail in its place that nobody needs or wants at that location, that would be so cruel and hurtful, so needlessly punitive and spiteful, it would be impossible to accept.

CBC may or may not be everyone's favourite best trail ever, but it is a beautiful community trail that was built by all for all and should be preserved for all. It's risk profile is no different than neighbouring trails. It should not be bulldozed by executive decree. To me, CBC is a red line. I'm not sure what I'd be willing to sacrifice to stand up and be counted, to show myself that I have some self respect. I'm still thinking about that. Passive resistive, potentially getting arrested, that would be pretty inconvenient, but if I knew when they were going to show up with the bulldozer, it's a tempting idea. The hard part would be finding out when they're going to do it and coordinating with other like minded individuals. And finding enough people who would be willing to go that route.

In some ways, they have us by the balls and they know it. But we still have to call them out on it and be heard, at the very least. The fact that people are brainstorming and thinking about it is positive. Let me know if you have any specific ideas.

July 27, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

Why is there all this talk about losing CBC to a bulldozer? It's the one trail on Seymour where I still take the DH bike. The trail is fantastic. It could do with perhaps some transition woodwork from rock to dirt - like we have on Corkscrew and Pangor - but that's it.

July 27, 2015, 5:10 p.m.

I think there is an underlying issue here I don't believe that the management of Metro Parks recognizes mountain biking as a legitimate activity. This is the beginning and I think you will see that mountain biking will be restricted to existing roads in all parks managed by Metro Parks.