Cambodia decommissioned

July 23, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

So sad. Cambodia was one of my all-time favourite shore trails. Glad I rode it recently.

July 23, 2015, 4:39 p.m.

ah man! whats next? First they tear down aftertaste and then hoodlumz and now cambodia!

July 23, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

I wonder how long it will be before the ride arounds and rock faces are reopened on Cambodia. Its not like the structures are really critical.

Yeah, it's a really nice natural line even if I have to 'lower' down some stuff….. Reminds me of Squamish at times for some reason.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 23, 2015, 8:21 p.m.

I was just talking to a friend about Cambodia this morning, and looking forward to riding it again. Unbelievable. It confirms my worst suspicions. All that stuff about them wanting to work together with the mountain bike community is complete and total bullshit. That much should be crystal clear by now. And the "hey aren't these new school milquetoast trails great" thing is getting really old. The new flow trails are great for my 7 y/o, but that's about it. And btw, I'm a total noob no skill rider, so there are a lot of lines I won't ride, and that's fine, that's how it should be. An essential element of mountain biking is adventure, discovery, and personal challenge. If you take those elements away, I don't know what you call it, but it's not mountain biking anymore.

So which trail is next on their chopping block? CBC?? That's why they nixed the maintenance proposal, because they have their own maintenance plan and it involves a bulldozer. I'm way too lazy and soft to be a revolutionary, but damnit, the pitch forks idea is starting to sound better and better. Either that or just take it up the arse and keep singing kumbaya. I guess that's the path of least resistance.

July 23, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

"I wonder how long it will be before the ride arounds and rock faces are reopened on Cambodia. Its not like the structures are really critical"

Good point, I wonder just how bad the trail is ? Why would'nt everywhere except for the few areas that cedar construction was present still be rideable today?
How did you all choose to assess Cambodia without the Lola option?

July 23, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 23, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

I hiked up Cambodia on the weekend and saw the damage to the bridges. At first I thought it was mtn bike haters who did it, but I'm just as angry to hear that it was likely LSCR staff.
Especially dismayed at the destruction to the long bridge over Boulder Creek's south tributary just before the tributary empties down to Boulder Creek itself.
I wrote a report here with photos.

July 24, 2015, 7:21 a.m.

I hiked up Cambodia on the weekend and saw the damage to the bridges. At first I thought it was mtn bike haters who did it, but I'm just as angry to hear that it was likely LSCR staff.
Especially dismayed at the destruction to the long bridge over Boulder Creek's south tributary just before the tributary empties down to Boulder Creek itself.
I wrote a report here with photos.

Thanks for the write up and pictures. I agree the way in which it was ripped out looks like someone who was seeking revenge or hateful towards mtn bikers. To me, that makes it even more frustrating that it was LSCR staff who did this, especially with no consultation to any of the communities that utilize the trail network.

Someone should have some splaining to do.

July 24, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

So how do we send metro van a message that their taxpayers require accountability for what they are doing in public lands? We could
A. Send a bunch of emails that may fall on deaf ears.
B. Reopen decommissioned trails and build new lines, making it an us vs them situation as they close them and we open them over and over
C. Newspaper article?
D. Do nothing and let metro close and change trails at their whim.
E. Something else.

July 24, 2015, 10:28 a.m.

News paper article.

July 24, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

So how do we send metro van a message that their taxpayers require accountability for what they are doing in public lands? We could
A. Send a bunch of emails that may fall on deaf ears.
B. Reopen decommissioned trails and build new lines, making it an us vs them situation as they close them and we open them over and over
C. Newspaper article?
D. Do nothing and let metro close and change trails at their whim.
E. Something else.

Good question. First of all, it is us versus them. Even though they have been very cagey and disingenuous about their plans, they've demonstrated exactly whose side they're on. Actions speak louder than words. It started as just a few rotten stunts getting removed, oh we don't have time to maintain this or that, ok fine, here's a new flow trail, great. They're making frog soup, turn up the heat just a little bit at a time so the frogs stay nice and compliant, and obediently stay in the pot without objection. It seems pretty obvious they won't be finished until everything has been completely lobotomized and is no longer recognizable.

What's wrong with CBC? If they destroy CBC, then they could destroy any trail anywhere any time (at least any trail under their jurisdiction wherever that is exactly I don't know). So where does this end? Will Ladies someday be on the chopping block too? It's got some hard parts, someone could get hurt. Maybe it will eventually be revamped to make another new improved Expresso? What about Boogieman? Is any part of that trail under their purview? They don't tell us much, and what they do tell us we can't trust because they're two faced liars.

If they plan on destroying CBC, and replacing it, TNT and Cambodia with wide bulldozed swaths of loose dirt and a bunch of dusty berms that are going to quickly turn into piles of poo, under the patently false pretense of "sustainability", then I think it's pretty clear they feel they can and will do whatever the hell they want, interested taxpayers and trail users be damned. They probably think we're too lazy and disorganized to do anything about it, which may or may not be true. I don't know, but I think we should read between the lines. Whether they realize it or not, basically they're telling us we can just go f- ourselves. Fair enough. But the flip side of that is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And where is NSBMA in all of this? I feel like we're being sold down the river and told we should just like it and be thankful that we get a new climbing trail. I'm torn between feelings of apathy and resignation, and disillusionment and anger. In California, all the good trails are off the grid, and all the sanctioned trails are wide machine groomed paths with a grade never to exceed 15%. Is that our future? They won't tell us, but I guess that's the new school "flow trail" model they intend to follow.

July 24, 2015, 12:08 p.m.

DON'T MENTION FROGS!!1!!1! She is watching.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 24, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

And where is NSBMA in all of this?

I've been wondering this. My guess: LSCR trails are just one piece of the Shore pie, and limited resources are better spent working with land managers that are cooperative. Plus, although not in the direction most of us would like to see, LSCR is using its own resources to maintain trails, resulting in less burden on NSMBA.

July 24, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

I've been wondering this. My guess: LSCR trails are just one piece of the Shore pie, and limited resources are better spent working with land managers that are cooperative. Plus, although not in the direction most of us would like to see, LSCR is using its own resources to maintain trails, resulting in less burden on NSMBA.

LSCR/Metro did not inform the NSMBA of it's intentions to decom Cambodia.

There were discussion previously to get approval to do work on Cambodia to bring things up to an approved level. Things were looking promising then they go and do this without communication.

July 24, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

And what about the poor guy who is currently recovering from his unfortunate injury? :hurt: I wonder how he feels about this. Way to kick a guy when he's down, LSCR. Real classy.