Burnaby Mountain Trail Closure - Gearjammer

June 23, 2011, 6:11 p.m.

anything remotely looking like a root has been covered over, .

:scream:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 23, 2011, 6:42 p.m.

Just came down that way from work to see the updates. Not as bad as I'd feared a few days ago, but not the result I'm a big fan of. It sort of the 'Bobsledification' of trails. The upper part of GJ down to Mel's is near completion. The thing is buff. And I mean BUFF. As in BUFF. Super smooth, nice mineral soil base, nicely compacted, and some decent berms and a couple little 'pops'. It's not ALL super-wide, as the sections that were holding up well were left 'grown in' and just filled and the bridges have not been widened. Still, anything considered a 'natural' trail feature like a rock or a root is GONE. As in GONE.

This is a trail you could take your granny on. It's a trail you could stroll your 3 year old on.

Unfortunately, if you do either of the above, especially in the uphill direction, you will likely be mowed down by someone in a full face with goggles. The trail is now FAST. And I mean FAST. As in FAST.

Morgman is bang on. This is now an even better climb. Unfortunately, it's also going to be a super fast (sure, it's fun) reckless ripper that will possibly endanger the poor spandex clad Scott Genius rider and remember, carbon splinters when impacted. That's ugly.

So… for a multi-use trail in a multi-use zone (3 hikers on it tonight), it's not the right choice. As an intermediate level downhill track on a bike dedicated one-way trail… it's pretty cool. I just don't think the two mix in this environment.

I'm still hoping for a return to simple repairs to the hand-built lower Gear Jammer that stays in the character of trails on the mountain. Lots of the big bike kids don't even like technical riding - meaning roots and rocks - anymore, as evidenced here: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=910[HTML_REMOVED]pagenum=24 Quote for those that are afraid to click: "It's soooooooooooo sick now."

June 23, 2011, 10:10 p.m.

Morgman is bang on. This is now an even better climb. Unfortunately, it's also going to be a super fast (sure, it's fun) reckless ripper that will possibly endanger the poor spandex clad Scott Genius rider and remember, carbon splinters when impacted. That's ugly.

Hey, I resemble that comment. ;)

June 23, 2011, 10:12 p.m.

Just a heads up, there was a huge pile of shit at the start of gear jammer last night, and just seen that there has been a few bear sightings this week, so be careful.

June 23, 2011, 11:27 p.m.

Hey, I resemble that comment. ;)

Same here. I loved that climb before. Sounds like all the challenge is gone.

:canada:

June 24, 2011, 3:38 a.m.

It's cooptation. :evil: You just watch, Gearjammer today, Nicoles tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 24, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

almost ran into a pair of bears on the little bridge where jim's jungle crosses the power line ROW.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 24, 2011, 11:47 p.m.

i sure as hell hope they don't touch lower snake at all, it's a beautiful climb just the way it is. pretty fun descent too.

from the report of the work it sounds like there's going to be conflict eventually on GJ.

my question is what the hell is the city of burnaby doing with bby mtn? do they not have a comprehensive trail plan for the entire network? do they not realize the type of riding area bby mtn has traditionally been? what is their goal with all this trail work?

and another thing; those steps they put in at the bottom of lower snake a few weeks back are completely useless; they're going to cause more eroision than what they've tried to solve.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 25, 2011, 11:34 p.m.

I rode it today to get ready for tomorrow's race. I enjoyed the parts of the trail they haven't touched yet.

June 26, 2011, 8:09 a.m.

just to be clear…

the BMBA has had no involvement with the rebuilding of gearjammer. any comments/complaints about the improvements should be directed to the city of burnaby.

July 1, 2011, 7:29 p.m.

Wow! That is _soooooooooooo sick now!_

But I still can't ride up it. Couldn't they make it a little less steep?

July 5, 2011, 10:39 p.m.

Rode GJ today. For the last time :( Really miss the old line.

And I really think it's just a matter of time before a hiker/jogger gets absolutely creamed on this trail. For a multi-use up/down trail it is very fast, and the lines of sight around most of the corners are quite poor.

July 6, 2011, 12:14 p.m.

just to be clear…

the BMBA has had no involvement with the rebuilding of gearjammer. any comments/complaints about the improvements should be directed to the city of burnaby.

Recommended!

:canada:

July 6, 2011, 1:39 p.m.

i rode it last week. i think the trail is a bit more buff than what it was, but imo it's only a little faster now than it was before. some of the work that's started on the lower half looks to be along the same lines, basically cleaning up the trail and fixing the holes. so i personally don't miss the old line as i don't see that much of a difference with the maintenance work that's being done.

the problem with the trail, and this has been my opinion from the begining, is the original design. the corners are too tight and they will continue to get blown out becuase you've got fast straight stretches running into tight corners. and like some others have said, the trail is really too fast for a multi-use trail.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 7, 2011, 2 p.m.

Saw what I believe to be a bear scat on Pandora yesterday. Not totally certain as I didn't stop to check it out, but it was thicker and blacker than most dogs could produce, though a smaller pile than a bear normally would. Maybe he was doing the poop 'n walk.

flickr