Burnaby Mountain Trail Closure - Gearjammer

June 8, 2011, 9 a.m.

Please be advised of the upcoming trail improvement work on Gear Jammer Trail from University Drive to the Uppercut trail junction.

Gear Jammer Trail will be closed Monday – Friday, 8AM – 4 PM commencing June 13. For information and updates call the parks office at 604-294-7450.

The improvements will include ditching, culvert work, some re-grading and packing of soft areas and tuning up some switchbacks and major corners . This work may take up to 1 ½ months and will not impact weekends or scheduled events. The trail will be made safe for evening activities. The work is being undertaken by Rare Earth Recreation Developments Inc., and all work will be monitored by the City of Burnaby Parks Department.

June 8, 2011, 9:23 a.m.

Nice. I saw some flagging tape here and there… possible some re-routes?

June 10, 2011, 5:11 a.m.

Rare Earth Recreation Developments Inc., .

Are these the same guys who did the original work?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 10, 2011, 7:31 a.m.

Are these the same guys who did the original work?

No they're not

June 10, 2011, 9:07 a.m.

Upper Gear Jammer, soon to be an even better climb :)

flickr

June 15, 2011, 7:36 p.m.

2 days in. They are working from the top down. Pretty much driving a bobcat down the trail, clearing the 3+m swath and adding soil into any terrain feature to make it a butter smooth highway. We'll see, but this could be 'dumbing down' like more than anything we've seen. I know they machine built the upper half the first time round, but they left the natural flow of the land… not this time. We'll see.

Morgman was right… soon to be a very easy climb. The shuttler load on Nicole's is gonna' go way up!

Hopefully they go to shovel work in the lower part where it's too tight to machine build.

June 20, 2011, 12:44 p.m.

Rode GJ on the weekend, have to agree with WH, I hope the rest of trail isn't going to end up looking like the top 50' is already (ie paved over)…..

To be honest I'm not too sure why this work is being done, I always really liked the top half of that trail as it was.

June 20, 2011, 10:46 p.m.

Top half was always fun, perhaps the smoothing out is in preparation of some new higher berms for a mini-Bobsled-style run (in my dreams…).

Fingers crossed…

June 21, 2011, 7:12 p.m.

I hear the berms are on the way!

June 21, 2011, 10:38 p.m.

It is going to be a great climbing trail. LOL

Here is what I vision, I hope I am wrong.

Almost brings a tear to my eye or a sudden urge to flip them over. Seeing the soft track power wheel barrow and the mini excavator in there.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

June 21, 2011, 11:33 p.m.

God, I hope you're wrong, that little trail from the bike park to the velodrome is like this, no fun at all, not even for little kids or anyone learning to ride.

It is going to be a great climbing trail. LOL

Here is what I vision, I hope I am wrong.

Almost brings a tear to my eye or a sudden urge to flip them over. Seeing the soft track power wheel barrow and the mini excavator in there.

June 22, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

God, I hope you're wrong, that little trail from the bike park to the velodrome is like this, no fun at all, not even for little kids or anyone learning to ride.

I disagree, the mountain air trail has settled in now, the edges are re-greening, and it's a challenging, physical rip that's also quite scenic. The only part that really sucks is the rocked in switchback at the start.

June 23, 2011, 8:46 a.m.

I hear the berms are on the way!

some small berms spotted yesterday in the first wood section, thing is it makes you want to hit those corners fast when you can't really see whats around them, hopefully no conflicts with people coming up. Its fun in a bobsled type of way though but anything remotely looking like a root has been covered over, didn't ride the lower part. I think if the lower part is now all berms you'll see a lot of traffic on it.

June 23, 2011, 9:15 a.m.

doesn't make sense to me to turn a both-directions trail into a bermed highway. Fix or re-route the blown out corners, but what I saw when I rode up there last week made me cringe. it's usually nice to keep some kind of technical challenge. here's hoping.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 23, 2011, 6:09 p.m.

doesn't make sense to me to turn a both-directions trail into a bermed highway. Fix or re-route the blown out corners, but what I saw when I rode up there last week made me cringe. it's usually nice to keep some kind of technical challenge. here's hoping.

:werd:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.