Burnaby Mountain Trail Closure

Oct. 20, 2003, 5:02 p.m.

I got some information that the city is planning to shut down one of the North Road trails. As far as I can tell it is the last trail that runs parrallel to North Road. Its got some great natural built ladders and ramps. Does anyone else have any information on this? Shut down to happen in November.

Oct. 21, 2003, 3:36 p.m.

I just have some information that I saw in one of the trail kiosks (on the west end of Joes). They are going to be adding a new trail (probably gravelled though) that will connect the bottom of the Trans canada trail where it exits near the petrocan refinery to the powerline right-of-way (north side of the barnett).

THe trail they are closing down is on the south end of the North road trails. The reason is for environmental protection. There are a few creeks (stony creek I think is the biggest) that run through the area. Also when it's wet (Oct-Apr typically, the trails there get quite boggy. Yes I know the existence of all the housing and the powerline right-of-way have waaay more impact on the ecology there, but I don't think it's a huge sacrifice to lose this one trail.

Oct. 21, 2003, 3:49 p.m.

Dave,

I agree I dont think its a big deal but there is some confusion on which trail it is. It is not the trail that leads down to Stoney Creek but trail that is just south of the open area that has logs and the tee der toter (not sure on spelling) This trail is full of latters and ramps that the city is just going to dump. That material could be used in other areas of the mountain.

Oct. 22, 2003, 2:37 p.m.

Originally posted by sarts
**Dave,

I agree I dont think its a big deal but there is some confusion on which trail it is. It is not the trail that leads down to Stoney Creek but trail that is just south of the open area that has logs and the tee der toter (not sure on spelling) This trail is full of latters and ramps that the city is just going to dump. That material could be used in other areas of the mountain. **

dead moped? that's the one right after the playground at the end of north road. that would be shitty if so.

Oct. 22, 2003, 5:43 p.m.

TheRob works for the city. I can check into things and see if they can atleast salvage the wood for you guys if you want.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

Oct. 23, 2003, 8:41 a.m.

I was up there and read the sign. I don't think its dead moped or the playground (skinnies and tetter totter in the clearing). I think they are talking about the low trail that skirts the residential subdivision along the south edge of the woods and connects to the hydro ROW near Gagliardi. That area is pretty wet and if I stretch my imagination I can see how Burnaby may have feel there are some sensitive ecosystems there. If they are going to trash the trail after all the work that's been put into bridging the water crossings it would be cool if we could salvage the wood for other projects.

Oct. 23, 2003, 8:50 a.m.

I talked with the Parks Devo foreman today. He assured me that the trail with all the woodwork isn't going to be closed and won't be touched.

If anyone wants the planners number for that area PM me.

Cheers.

ESC 4 Life.

Oct. 23, 2003, 9:46 a.m.

They are definitely closing one of these trails. The information I got from the city is the trail just south of the playground. (dead moped) The info came from the Manager of Park Planning, Design and Development. How can we find out for sure.

Oct. 23, 2003, 10:09 a.m.

Sarts,

Check your PM's.

ESC 4 Life.