Burnaby mountain needs new trails

where r some good places to build on bby mountain

near where trails are already built
57.1%
somewhere where no trails have been built
42.9%
Total votes: 7
Dec. 24, 2004, 11:46 a.m.

First off Burnaby mountain needs to have some new trails built. I live right next to burnaby mountain and i ride it all the time. I'm getting tired of the same trails all the time like nicoles, mels and all the o ther lower ones like the north road trails and lower snake and all that. Although Gear Jammer is wut i've been riding lately, thats about the only trail that i really enjoy riding right now. And the trail takes about 5 mins to get down.

What this mountain needs is some more ladders and bigger hits and just some more trails i guess is the best way to state it. I've tried with my friends to build a couple new trails around the trail head of lower snake but it got totaly destroyed. I think it was too much in the open and we just didn't have the good enough supplies or somethin but i want to build or somebody build a new good trail for all of us that ride the mountain alot and r getting a bit bored with riding the same easy trails every day. I wanna find a hidden spot away from other trails in the spring so that they won't get wrecked. Who's got ideas of where to build where it won't get wrecked. :(

those who question approch, find wrong answer in landing.

Dec. 24, 2004, 12:12 p.m.

Originally posted by ~canadianfreeridr~
**First off Burnaby mountain needs to have some new trails built. I live right next to burnaby mountain and i ride it all the time. I'm getting tired of the same trails all the time like nicoles, mels and all the o ther lower ones like the north road trails and lower snake and all that. Although Gear Jammer is wut i've been riding lately, thats about the only trail that i really enjoy riding right now. And the trail takes about 5 mins to get down.

What this mountain needs is some more ladders and bigger hits and just some more trails i guess is the best way to state it. I've tried with my friends to build a couple new trails around the trail head of lower snake but it got totaly destroyed. I think it was too much in the open and we just didn't have the good enough supplies or somethin but i want to build or somebody build a new good trail for all of us that ride the mountain alot and r getting a bit bored with riding the same easy trails every day. I wanna find a hidden spot away from other trails in the spring so that they won't get wrecked. Who's got ideas of where to build where it won't get wrecked. :( **

READ THE OTHER THREADS

Dec. 24, 2004, 12:30 p.m.

The City is very nervous about the illegal trail building on the mountain and WILL take down any structure they see as posing too great of a liability risk.

Some of us having been working with the City to secure a place for biking and to improve the trails. Making them more fun and challenging is part of the deal, but if its big hits you want, Burnaby Mountain ain't the place. If some kid breaks his neck on a bandit trail, it could jeopardize riding for everyone.

We do recognize that for young guys who don't drive yet, the mountain may be the only place within riding distance. We'd like to see some tabletops built next to the powerline someday, but it'll never happen if the City gets pissed - or worse - sued.

I'll get off my soapbox now. No one can tell you what to build and what not to build, but please think about what it could mean for everyone else.

Dec. 24, 2004, 12:36 p.m.

If your looking for bigger hits this mountian is not for you. As mentioned by Gazz the city is really watching the mountain lately and has no intention of allowing any extreme stuff being built. If your interested there is a group working with the city. Keep an eye on upcoming posts.

Dec. 24, 2004, 12:59 p.m.

At least now you guys know who has been putting the mountain in jeopardy.

Dec. 25, 2004, 11:37 a.m.

Is this sean or any of the other guys from banting (well the guys im thinking of are all at the high school now)? anyways a new trail will not be built just because you guys or above the skill level of burnaby mountain, Go hit up seymoure fromme or Cypress. when you build huge stuff like you did you jepordise the use of the mountain for all of us. please dont build any more.

so who is this anyway by the way this is Carnell

Visit www.t-runky.tk

Dec. 25, 2004, 11:38 a.m.

There is a group of hikers that walk that mountain every day (retired naturalist types) and they have the trail managers cel number. You likely won't be half finished before it's found, and the crews come in and take it out.
And once again, the whole Mtn Bike community takes another hit in the eyes of the City Parks Dept.

Like Gazz said, there are chances we might be able to get some new stuff built…
but if people go in, cut down trees and build shoddy stuff, that minimizes our chances.

There's a group of us trying to maintain cyclist's rights to existing trails that allready are there, as new home construction up top and the resulting influx of residents are going to cause a whole host of issues in the future.

PM me if you want to get involved.

Dec. 25, 2004, 2:45 p.m.

Originally posted by davet
At least now you guys know who has been putting the mountain in jeopardy.

no kidding :(

DO NOT…repeat DO NOT build on burnaby mtn without approval from the required people (see post above). learn to take a bus to the shore if it's too easy for you.

Dec. 25, 2004, 11:18 p.m.

this graham? ya bby is pretty done for trails now, or anything up there, a hobo built some kinda structure or somtin on the trail that was known as 911 and even that got torn out. that trail is already there tho and the damage is already done and the step up is still intact there, mayb it would b a good area to negotiate with the city to build a new trail over the old one

i live in a box :)

Dec. 27, 2004, 8:15 p.m.

Hey, why are u guys getting all mad cuz we have been building stuff? We dont have cars to get us to and from like whistler n seymour n stuff so where else are we gunna ride? Plus we live right beside burnaby mountain n if the city doesnt build anything and thers people who have a higher ability level what do you expect? "that person" if you are intimidated by what we and other people are building i suggest you take a bus and ride somewhere else. You people have also been mentioning that the city might build some stuff for us, but seen as you ride burnaby for fun, it still would be retarded for us… i have noticed the city has built some stuff… but its all garbage, do they not understand we need more than a ladder a foot wide, and a foot high? Id also like too know how we are putting the mountain at jepardy?? anything we build just gets torn down within a month n plus how are they gunna close the mountain for riding? i highly doubt they will have gaurds standing at the trail heads r entrances to the mountain hahaha. Im not getting mad at any of you people but we do understand everything gets wrecked n stuff, and too cut us some slack because its not like what we are building doesnt harm you in any way. If the mountain does "ban biking" why dont you ride down the sidewalk? same thing :rolleyes:

Dec. 27, 2004, 8:21 p.m.

before anyone flames this guy, from the few kids on BBY mtn, i've talked to, this is the attitude of them all. and honestly, i don't blame them too much… had I been living there at that age, I certainly would be part of the problem!

all i'm saying is that instead of telling these kids to essentially "fuck off" (i.e. you are ruining it for US) you need to work with them to get them some djs and ladders somewhere.

and most of what we tell them is "you are ruining it for US". most of them do not give a shit about Mels and Nicoles. they have nothing, so losing the existing trails doesn't really concern them.

flame me if anything. i'm just ranting about what the BBY Mtn bike assoc. should be doing. but seeing as i devote my time to fromme i don't feel to bad.

Dec. 27, 2004, 8:57 p.m.

YES! thank you statix!! someone understands
its not that we are trying to mess your guys riding up, its that we have nothing too ride ourselves so we build stuff of our own… i too agree that the city should build some dirt jumps n other things…maybe even trails that are more advanced so everyone can enjoy the mountain. Im not trying to be an idiot but when you guys are getting angry at us for trying to have fun it pisses me off…i do not know ANYTHING about how this all works so dont get all mad at me but cant they just put up a sign saying they are lyable? or like ride at your own risk kinda thing? haha n yaaa i also think its really stupid of you guys to get mad at because we are building harder stuff on the mountain…we could be getting mad at you for riding the trails you do on burnaby n not being capable of what we are… but we arnt are we?

Dec. 27, 2004, 9:06 p.m.

oh ya, for those of you guys that go to the councill meetings and what not what do they say about the riding on the mountain, and stuff being built?

Dec. 27, 2004, 9:35 p.m.

Originally posted by E-unit
Hey, why are u guys getting all mad cuz we have been building stuff? We dont have cars to get us to and from like whistler n seymour n stuff so where else are we gunna ride? Plus we live right beside burnaby mountain n if the city doesnt build anything and thers people who have a higher ability level what do you expect? "that person" if you are intimidated by what we and other people are building i suggest you take a bus and ride somewhere else. You people have also been mentioning that the city might build some stuff for us, but seen as you ride burnaby for fun, it still would be retarded for us… i have noticed the city has built some stuff… but its all garbage, do they not understand we need more than a ladder a foot wide, and a foot high? Id also like too know how we are putting the mountain at jepardy?? anything we build just gets torn down within a month n plus how are they gunna close the mountain for riding? i highly doubt they will have gaurds standing at the trail heads r entrances to the mountain hahaha. Im not getting mad at any of you people but we do understand everything gets wrecked n stuff, and too cut us some slack because its not like what we are building doesnt harm you in any way. If the mountain does "ban biking" why dont you ride down the sidewalk? same thing :rolleyes:

intimidated? no i dont think so, i used to build trails and stunts on that mountain and all im saying is it's just not worth it anymore. seriously no matter where u build on that mountain and how much effort u put into keeping a trail secret its gonna get torn down. trust me i know from expeirience. so no one can stop u i guess from building on bby but ull see one day its just not worth it anymore. eagle mtn is reletively close to there and can get there easy on bus, it b worth it to go the extra bit on a trip to build somthing that wouldnt get torn down, but it has to b built sound or u will have issues with builders there

i live in a box :)

Dec. 27, 2004, 10:17 p.m.

if the city has such a problem with us building why dont they build some stuff of there own