Burnaby Mountain Gear Jammer Idiocity

May 29, 2011, 8:35 p.m.

i've been doing that as part of a new loop, climbing up lower snake, upper cut and then gear gammer. it makes for a great technical climb.

I've been grooving on the PCT/TCT traverse onto Mountain air, pandora and Gnome's, not as technical, but pretty long.

May 30, 2011, 4:24 p.m.

The main line of the Naheno Park trail is a 'recognised trail' and is protected by a statutory public access right of way on the SFU land title. The SROW can be moved or removed, but the goal is to protect the right for a multi-use trail through that part of the forest with a crossing of the Ringroad at the point of best sitelines. If there were to be future development that jeopardised the trail, then given the status of the SROW, it is likley that the local community would be consulted to discuss the compensation and replacement/alteration routing of the trail.

As for Lower Gear Jammer, the massive holes between the 2 bridges on the second corner have been repaired. About 40 flat stones, packed with good draining soils. Will likely settle in over the next couple weeks of rain, but then a "topping up" and it'll be solid. Good first step to fixing a complete sh!t-hole.

The piece after the second bridge is still too wet and next week a proper drainage trench will be installed and then the holes fixed. For now it's just filled in to keep the flow.

May 31, 2011, 11:41 a.m.

:crybaby: Somebody burnt down the little A-frame in the middle of North Road (somebody's already cleaned it up - thanks).

But somebody has taken to riding their horse up Jims, North road, and Gear Jammer - big horse shoe divots and fertilizer everywhere this morning.

@Whitehonky: Thanks for filling those holes on Gear Jammer, came down that on Sunday thought I'd fallen into a bottomless pit. PM if you need an extra hand with the drainage.

Bby Mtn Trail day - June 25

May 31, 2011, 12:26 p.m.

I rode lower north road on the weekend - someone has been filling in a few low spots with a mixture of bark and rotting wood, felt like i was riding over a sponge. Need to go and fix that up….

May 31, 2011, 12:35 p.m.

I rode lower north road on the weekend - someone has been filling in a few low spots with a mixture of bark and rotting wood, felt like i was riding over a sponge. Need to go and fix that up….

Yes… such a thick layer of duff on Bby mtn that it's hard to find gold. I noticed the squishy stuff as well. Too bad you can't go grab some of the trail base clear crush gravel that is sitting in piles along the powerline and wheel it in. It was brought in for the CoB trail repair work and is used by BMBC (I would guess) for filling holes…..

The gooey piece after the major repair on GJ will be hardwired to drain - meaning pipe/culvert rather than drainage ditch/water bar. Next week. Further packing where the big hole was, once it's settled in a bit. Full face buddy rips past me twice yesterday without a word or a warning. Dork. Saw him get off the bus again this morning to go ride it again… not even the upper Naheno stuff. Just straight to GJ. What a waste of shuttling. There's other trails people, where you could spend much longer on the downhill with better link-ups including GJ. Riders normally stop and say hi. One female hiker stopped and carried rocks for about 15 minutes. 2 parties of Asian hikers all very chatty and thankful. Oh well.

May 31, 2011, 1:34 p.m.

yes, it's terrible, last time i rode there we tried to remove as much as possible. i'm guessing whoever did it has no clue about how to build a trail.

gold isn't that hard to find actually, you just have to head in to the trees so the digging isn't that noticeable.

too bad about that a-frame :(

May 31, 2011, 2:10 p.m.

Glad to hear that the fire was contained. I think a trail fairy needs to rebuild something on that spot, basically replace it nothing fancy. I did miss it on my weekly rip up NR trail. Lower NR trail needs some gold to fix a few drainage issues. Someone is taking out rocks :crazy: and putting rotten wood on the trail. I think a note at the rotten stump, source of material, might help.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

May 31, 2011, 2:14 p.m.

Too bad you can't go grab some of the trail base clear crush gravel that is sitting in piles along the powerline and wheel it in. It was brought in for the CoB trail repair work and is used by BMBC (I would guess) for filling holes…..

I would not like to ride on crush gravel in the forest, unless it is covered with gold.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

May 31, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

I would not like to ride on crush gravel in the forest, unless it is covered with gold.

Exactly.

May 31, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

yes, it's terrible, last time i rode there we tried to remove as much as possible. i'm guessing whoever did it has no clue about how to build a trail.
(

Might be some of the hikers, there was a gentleman a few weeks back clearing the area around the stump ride on North Road - the braid has been filled in again and again, and he was just finishing moving everything aside - can understand walking over those roots in the wet can't be fun. Mind you I see a new hikers braid on Jims to avoid the muddy areas.

And some one pull up one of the rock ramps on the middle section of North Road and tossed the rocks in the bush - need to dig those back in.

Any ideas yet what trails we're working on for the trail day?

PoMo Trail day (Backyard Trail), June 17 (TORCC sponsored)