Burnaby Mountain Gear Jammer Idiocity

Oct. 31, 2010, 10:07 p.m.

Are there two "Naheeno Trail" trail signs, there is one at the top of the entrance to Naheeno park (off S Campus road), orange spray painted brake rotor w/ "Naheeno Trail" - way up in a tree to the left of the entrance?

There are the two main trails that ultimately dump you out on University Dr. E, on the south side you have the start of Mels - or are these trails thru Naheeno considered "Mels" too?

yeah the orange one is what i was referring to, that's where mels starts. the trail splits, but both splits have always been referred to as mels. burnaby used to own all the property, but i believe sold it to SFU quite some time ago.

i have always understood that mels starts right below the univercity, crosses the ring road, meets up with gearjammer and eventually ends on the transcanada.

Nov. 1, 2010, 6:40 a.m.

yeah the orange one is what i was referring to, that's where mels starts. the trail splits, but both splits have always been referred to as mels. burnaby used to own all the property, but i believe sold it to SFU quite some time ago.

i have always understood that mels starts right below the univercity, crosses the ring road, meets up with gearjammer and eventually ends on the transcanada.

All the land above the ring road belongs to SFU. The land was gifted by Burnaby and some private individuals to build the University in the 1950s. The undeveloped area between the S Campus Road and University Rd E is known as Naheeno Park and belongs to the University. The other side of University Rd E is Burnaby Parks land (Burnaby Mtn Conservation Area). People call the trails before crossing the ring road the Naheeno trails. These trails are unofficial (they are not on the official Burnaby Parks map), and the University might someday build on this land. Mels starts after the road according to the official Burnaby Parks trail map:

http://www.bmba.ca/gallery/v/trail_maps/trailmap2008.pdf

but I recall there is a sign pointing to Mels after the steep climb and turn onto the left in Naheeno.

Nov. 1, 2010, 2:02 p.m.

Didn't hippies actually try to build a park out of natural materials in the area of Neheeanaeheeheahenooooooo back in the 70's? I remember seeing rotted old pole's driven into the ground in clusters out in the bush way back in the early 90's. That stuff's probably long gone now.

alright!!!

Nov. 1, 2010, 2:29 p.m.

Didn't hippies actually try to build a park out of natural materials in the area of Neheeanaeheeheahenooooooo back in the 70's? I remember seeing rotted old pole's driven into the ground in clusters out in the bush way back in the early 90's. That stuff's probably long gone now.

Some of it is still kinda there, buried in the bushes not far off the Naheeno trails. I found it when I was following a grown over trail from the power line and wondered what the hell it was.

Nov. 2, 2010, 9:25 p.m.

update: old plywood corner on mels has now been fixed

Nov. 3, 2010, 12:20 a.m.

From way back in the day I understood that the trails from South Campus Road to University Drive East were called the Naheeno Park Trails. So I believe that the new sign is technically correct. There used to be an old wooden arch near the start of the trail. Mel's as I understand it used to officially start on University Drive East and traverses the mountain until Joes.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Nov. 4, 2010, 12:33 p.m.

update: old plywood corner on mels has now been fixed

Woot! thank you magic trail gnomes!

alright!!!

May 29, 2011, 1:26 a.m.

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I'd like to make a case. Naming things is good. All of the unnamed features we all love no doubt have some kind of reference in our own minds or informal names we use with our buddies. But when we want to talk publicly (here for example) we are left trying to describe what and where we are talking about. Over time names tend to accrue until you get really cool embodiments of whole trails like in Italy where practically every bend has some kind of public reference or name (often from a built up history) and all the locals share a rich ability to talk about it all. I 'enjoyed' reading and recognizing whitehonky's trail descriptions at the start of this thread . . . which were very good . . . but most of us struggle to get across what or where we are talking about.

Here's an example. I would like to see what everyone thinks about the very large fallen tree midway on Mel's where the trail goes beneath. Over the winter it has cracked on the bottom side and the whole thing has settled a few inches. Has anyone else been bumping their head more often? After hitting mine once I stopped (well it sort of stopped me) and took a look at it. It seemed pretty stable but the engineer in me thought about whether it might move down over the trail in a more threatening way sometime soon. A week later there was a crew cutting trees along University Drive, so I stopped and asked them if they knew who to talk to at City Hall if it ever became a hazard. I could not get across to them where or what I was talking about. They knew I was talking about Mel's, and though they said they knew the trails pretty well (one rode), they kept asking if I was talking about Nicole's Pole. And so, back to my point: I replied that Nicole's Pole was on, uhh, Nicole's. "Of course," they said, and then started talking in fair detail about Nicole's Pole and its history and recent partial demise. So, two 'poles,' both noteworthy points on their respective trails, but recognition only for the named one. I want a name for the other. Maybe Head Smashed In Mud Dip, I don't know.

Now I do like the idea of at least a few names for trail features. Meet me in 1/2 hour at Head Smashed In. But lets start at the bigger level. The name "Mel's" has referred to the whole length of the Naheeno section and Mel's proper. Whenever I've used it to refer to the Naheeno section people often don't know it exists or are confused about what they think is the start (at University Drive) of Mel's and what I am talking about as the start. Lets go back to the beginning and call the upper portion the Naheeno Trail. Then we have two reference points instead of just one. We also then have names for two distinct sections of trail. Finally we have a trail called Naheeno which refers to its original name plus marks the park (makes sense with the ghostly playground) that once existed there.

Remember, naming is a democratic function: the names we use become the names official.

fall any fall line

May 29, 2011, 1:36 a.m.

Oh yeah, Lady Gravity: why so grumpy back then. I hope you can see some positive credit in my post above. Your take on the history and land ownership in this area is actually not correct. Naheeno Park was a city park before being turned over for SFU's creation. The park and the name Naheeno refer only to a small area which interestingly just surrounds the first 85% of the trail section I have always known as Naheeno. (and I'm old)
Except for that you have always known it as Mel's, what is the advantage of continuing to know it that way?
(with respect)

fall any fall line

May 29, 2011, 7:30 a.m.

The limbo tree on Mels is slowly moving down the hill. Each week it gets a little lower. If naming is a democratic thing I vote for the name Limbo Tree.

The naming is not an issue. The placement of a home made sign on a trail that cut through private land is the issue. We need to keep a low profile or run the risk of getting shut out. Almost as bad as the launch off the landscaping near the stairs across the road from the entrance to the trail. I used to launch that all the time. Then I turned and opened my eyes! Looked at the damage we as bikers are doing to the landscaping at the entrance to that building. It makes us all look like vandals. Not a good image to carry as a group. Now I stay out of the flower beds and off the landscaping.:nono: Keep the wear and tear on the trails and out of sight. :ohthedrama:

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

May 29, 2011, 11:07 a.m.

Since that "upper" section of Mel's starts at Science Road, I have always referred to it as such. I suppose that's more of a geographic location than an accurate name.

And I had noticed I was hitting my bag on the log on Mel's pretty much every time recently… thought it was just me!

flickr

May 29, 2011, 11:27 a.m.

i love seeing the looks on peoples face as we climb up gear jammer

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 29, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

And I had noticed I was hitting my bag on the log on Mel's pretty much every time recently… thought it was just me!

are you doing some kind of yoga move while riding or something?

May 29, 2011, 5:47 p.m.

i love seeing the looks on peoples face as we climb up gear jammer

GJ is a really good climb. Only done it at night, but it's a lot steeper than it looks.

May 29, 2011, 7:24 p.m.

GJ is a really good climb. Only done it at night, but it's a lot steeper than it looks.

i've been doing that as part of a new loop, climbing up lower snake, upper cut and then gear gammer. it makes for a great technical climb.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer