Burke Thread 2: The Mountain Of Lost Shovels

May 22, 2003, 8:10 p.m.

I rode --[HTML_REMOVED]UPPER RED R[HTML_REMOVED]-- this past long weekend and it's in the worst shape I've ever seen it.
LOWER RED R is not quite as bad, but still getting shabby in places.
Galloway is just a mudpit, good luck with that.
Upper and lower Vics aren't too shabby it seems.
I rode Nescafe for the first time.. not a great trail, and not in super great shape either.
Last Run is getting worse every day.
I don't ride Flywheel.

Burke is seeing an amount of traffic that most of the trails can not handle. Especially now with 8"+ couches all over the mountain. It's going to be a hard fight to keep up with all of it, and in the end it could come down to paving the trails with rocks. Good luck.

May 22, 2003, 8:18 p.m.

I know what you mean Steve. I do have a problem of being either a) too ambitious or b) very very lazy. Burke is a mtn that sees most of it's traffic on one run (triple crown through flywheel) so maybe it will need to be paved, or more creative techniques used, perhaps less organic soil.

I know work's gotta be done, but I will try my best to STFU until I can actually go up there and do some. I also gotta start not waiting for other people to accompany me.

School's over in 3 weeks, the last bike race is Saturday, and the weather should improve, so hopefully I can work something out.

May 29, 2003, 5:32 p.m.

I'll try to remember to pile rocks when I see mudholes from now on. I know it probably made me sound like a hypocrite, but I meant it when I said "good luck."

May 29, 2003, 6:09 p.m.

"Good luck" describes it well.

Good on you for piling rocks, it's always nice to pull up to a trouble section on a NSMBA trail day to find a nice pile of beauties waiting for your use… unfortunately I tend to not find those sections…

The worst was on Bottletop… the trail was switchbacked, but the terrain was really steep straight down (seymour river canyon), so getting rocks from below the trail meant one hell of a climb and getting them from above meant you had to stop the rock from rolling over the trail, which is next to impossible.

As for when I'm heading up Burke again, I don't know.

June 1, 2003, 9 p.m.

i was up flywheel a few days ago cause i was bored and it was sunny for a while hopping it would be "dryer" it was pretty dry except for som eparts and there is quite a few new work up there like there are 2 new a frames 1 is over the tree that is in the middle of the trail and u have to go around it then over a rock, you loose all your speed their but he put a a frame over the log and after that tp the right their is another a frame. i also see some new ladders in the process. good work, i saw the guy and talked to hiom for a bit finally someon eis doind work on flywheel.

CHUUCH

June 1, 2003, 9:13 p.m.

Originally posted by Stathis
i was up flywheel a few days ago cause i was bored and it was sunny for a while hopping it would be "dryer" it was pretty dry except for som eparts and there is quite a few new work up there like there are 2 new a frames 1 is over the tree that is in the middle of the trail and u have to go around it then over a rock, you loose all your speed their but he put a a frame over the log and after that tp the right their is another a frame. i also see some new ladders in the process. good work, i saw the guy and talked to hiom for a bit finally someon eis doind work on flywheel.

Frank's been working up there for a while. I always seem to run into him, but I haven't been that way lately.

I'd really love to get some dry cedar in that area, it's actually quite light to hike in.

What I did see today that was really cool were 10cm high burlap flaps sticking up to drain water off the trail, but you can easily ride over them. Those would require less materials and work than a cattle-grate drain, and they freak ppl out (the first time they ever see one)!

June 1, 2003, 9:15 p.m.

does frank ride the sasquatch?

CHUUCH

June 1, 2003, 9:17 p.m.

Frank is on a Norco XCS1 last time I saw him, blue Marz z5 I believe, he's also older than most of the guys you see up there.

June 1, 2003, 9:20 p.m.

oh i think i have seen him and the guy that made the a frames was a guy on a 03 sasquatch

CHUUCH

June 1, 2003, 9:25 p.m.

Originally posted by Stathis
oh i think i have seen him and the guy that made the a frames was a guy on a 03 sasquatch

I don't know who it could be….

When I think about it, the Sasquatch isn't ridden much by people older than high school age, so they woulda stood out.

June 2, 2003, 5:32 p.m.

Hey everybody, it's been a couple of months since i've been on here, I've been super busy lately. I'm assuming my original burke thread got a little out of hand…

Anyways, yeah, I haven't been the best at this, but hopefully this summer I too will be able to put my money where my mouth is. I'm becoming of the opinion that we should concentrate on upper burke, and leave flywheel for the masses to drown in (literally), I'm still not convinced that flywhel won't be someones backyard in a couple of years. That being said, the last time I was up burke was 2 months ago, and even then, I was noticing it is really getting alot of traffic. As far as I'm concerned, I say we don't advertise unknown/less-known trails any more than necessary. I probably won't be on here much until I'm done exams, but this summer, I'll be up burke working:)

cheers
Paul

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

June 2, 2003, 5:38 p.m.

Hey Paul,

This summer I'm thinking of getting the phantoms to supply some cedar, and going up and doing upper ryan's, just some anti-erosion work…. a couple of days, when it's dry. You interested?

June 2, 2003, 5:44 p.m.

I'm interested in doing anything. Not till probably july though, at least late june (stupid freaking broken collar bone).

I'm out of here now. Gotta go do homework, yay.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

June 2, 2003, 8:01 p.m.

Originally posted by Trail Rider 1.0
stupid freaking broken collar bone

awww, shitty, was it biking related?

June 11, 2003, 7:03 p.m.

i sthat new trail triple"A going to be up near triple crown or near upper galloway or lower