Bridle Path Realignment

Nov. 18, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

I'm gonna chime in and say that "young" trail builders generally have immense respect for "old" trail builders. Although we build trails that appeal to us, ie. faster and easier to flow, we still employ many of the techniques used by more experienced builders to make our trails withstand heavy use and rain. Personally I enjoy riding old school trails quite often but I build what I'm passionate about which is new school flow.

Nov. 18, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

I'd like to hear how macaroo would deal with a section of trail like above.

Nov. 18, 2013, 11:27 a.m.

i think it helps to take a step back and ask why that happens before asking how to deal with it. if the issues of why aren't adressed then it's a shot in the dark deciding how to fix it.

i'd say it comes down to two things.

1. trail user's level of knowledge wrt trail use
2. trail design

point #2 is highly dependent on point #1

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2013, 2:28 p.m.

As I have stated repeatedly…the question was 'why destroy something that was already there?'. But since you ask I would have considered this.
The plan for bridle I believe is/was to allow more two way traffic. ie. the new climbing lines (that I personally hate but understand) with the nifty rules of traffic and the TWO not one enormous bridges after the initial west side climbs over the swamp area that both merge back to the original skinny nsmba one (must have been the province that designed that traffic mitigation idea). Two way traffic.

So that seemed to be the plan.

Enter the new 'realignment'. What would I have done there?
I would have probably gone with the fancy new flat gold trail that I am NOT bitching about and I would have rock armoured the original section that is pretty much not going to ever come back. It would have been nice to have a small 's' bend rock armoured into that section allowing people to enjoy their eastbound ride/descent. Two way traffic. I would have then put debris around that armoured new line that would mediate the water runoff. That's what I would have done. Essentially take a problem, remedy it and make it better for everyone.

If you want help doing that I would volunteer my time. That's what I was hoping this past weekend was for with the posted bridle/buck trail day.

Nov. 18, 2013, 4:46 p.m.

sven is a whippersnapper youngster!

Nov. 18, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

Sven looks older than I remember.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 18, 2013, 6:25 p.m.

Sven looks older than I remember.

that marriage stuff will kill ya!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 19, 2013, 1:13 a.m.

Enter the new 'realignment'. What would I have done there?
I would have probably gone with the fancy new flat gold trail that I am NOT bitching about and I would have rock armoured the original section that is pretty much not going to ever come back. It would have been nice to have a small 's' bend rock armoured into that section allowing people to enjoy their eastbound ride/descent. Two way traffic. I would have then put debris around that armoured new line that would mediate the water runoff. That's what I would have done. Essentially take a problem, remedy it and make it better for everyone.

If you want help doing that I would volunteer my time. That's what I was hoping this past weekend was for with the posted bridle/buck trail day.

Criticizing the renewal of the Shore's most well-known XC trail to XC-bike standards is not going to get you far, but there are plenty of other projects to put time into.

If you truly want to learn and preserve the practice of rock armouring, you need to work with one of the masters who still does that kind of work. Peter Morin is still up on Fromme doing this kind of work on trails like 7th Secret and Crinkum/Kirkford.

There's also plenty of work to be done on the old Expresso line, which I know you have expressed interest in continuing to ride.

Builders have moved away from this style for a number of reasons beyond the fact that it is extremely labour intensive and doesn't lend itself as well to group projects. Showing up to a Bridle trail day expecting to do rock work (that isn't going to get covered in gold) is not realistic.

flickr

Nov. 19, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

Incline is in way worse condition that. I wander if that will be closed as well?
I think it makes for good conversation to have Macaroos point of view. He did come out to an Expresso trail day last year.

:canada:

Nov. 19, 2013, 10:41 a.m.

Don't be surprised if the old line gets opened up again. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

formally wernie

Nov. 20, 2013, 9 a.m.

If that old trench really means that much to you [HTML_REMOVED] Jerry [HTML_REMOVED] Macaroo.
Just don't let me catch you doing it.
Only on the Shore…

Lol… I actually like the new line better but simply asked if heavier eroded lines are going to be closed like that one pictured? Have a cupcake Woods.

:canada:

Nov. 20, 2013, 11:28 a.m.

Criticizing the renewal of the Shore's most well-known XC trail to XC-bike standards is not going to get you far, but there are plenty of other projects to put time into.

If you truly want to learn and preserve the practice of rock armouring, you need to work with one of the masters who still does that kind of work. Peter Morin is still up on Fromme doing this kind of work on trails like 7th Secret and Crinkum/Kirkford.

There's also plenty of work to be done on the old Expresso line, which I know you have expressed interest in continuing to ride.

Builders have moved away from this style for a number of reasons beyond the fact that it is extremely labour intensive and doesn't lend itself as well to group projects. Showing up to a Bridle trail day expecting to do rock work (that isn't going to get covered in gold) is not realistic.

good post morgan.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

Only on the Shore…

unfortunately not, same issues in Campbell River. Don't fix my favourite eroded trail!!1!

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com