bridge and tech. wood ......

Aug. 9, 2005, 3:47 p.m.

I was gonna start building some pre made bridge and technical stunt pcs. , then haul it to the trails with a buddy to assemble and secure them in place on site . They will be built to last thats for sure and probably heavy but i hope it will pay off . Wanna use as much natural wood and logs as possible , but having trouble finding descent wood to use , i heard cedar or fir are the most common to use and is fairly easy to split . Anyone know where to get some good trail building wood in bulk ?? Only other option is to truck it through the bush a scrounge up what is available there . Some spots are better than others but that can easily eat up half the day or more . Any info or advice ?? :grinno: Cheers ..

:crazy: Go down , just don't go down in flames …….:flame:

Aug. 9, 2005, 4:06 p.m.

Only other option is to truck it through the bush a scrounge up what is available there . Some spots are better than others but that can easily eat up half the day or more .

Thats half the fun.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 9, 2005, 4:26 p.m.

your in vancouver eh? hauling in materials and pre built stunts IMO is the wrong approach. Your best bet is to use natural materials from the location you are working … it seems anywhere around the lwr mainland say (hope to squamish anyways) that there is loads of cedar ..some areas more than others. I did the whole haul in method for awhile and have since removed all of those structures and rebuilt them..also its damn expensive to go buy wood at REVY. just my $0.02.

Aug. 11, 2005, 10:19 p.m.

theres more cedar out here than you could possible use anyway.just look for stumps from lightning stricks and logs or whatever. I dont even use a chain saw, i use a 3 foot bow saw, axe, and mallet.

Aug. 25, 2005, 8:09 p.m.

Hey Tigg,
Yep, the guys are right, you want to build on-site.
Come on out to a Trail Day (next time you can) and they'll show you how it's done!
Kudos to all who work so hard to keep our trails maintained dynamic and fun!

Aug. 30, 2005, 2:12 p.m.

Cedar is not as easy to find as you guys think. I'm working a section of trail at the bottom of the mountain, and most the cedar has been picked over and there is not much left, any of the falled stuff is too old/rotted to work anymore, and there is very little new cedar growth, plus, I'm not gonna fall a small tree this low down, it wold be a political nightmare.

I have contacted a few tree service companies, and have been able to score a few rounds of cedar when they fall a tree in someones yard, i use this for rungs, as for stringers, I have been buying 4x8 cedar beams for this. (only once, and my wife doesn't know) but that was for a very small bridge section 8' long.

Best of luck

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Aug. 30, 2005, 4:18 p.m.

Where in vancouver are you planing on building a trail?

Aug. 30, 2005, 4:26 p.m.

Another possible option for stringers is treated material. All treated material now sold in Canada is treated with a copper plus quat preservative, which in English basically means a non-arsenic more environmentally friendly product. The treatment is referred to as ACQ.

http://www.treatedwood.com/products/preserve/

The cost will be a lot less than cedar. I would not consider using this product for rungs. The one down point is that special fasteners are required and any end cuts must be treated.

Sept. 29, 2005, 7:48 a.m.

Cedar is not as easy to find as you guys think. I'm working a section of trail at the bottom of the mountain, and most the cedar has been picked over and there is not much left, any of the falled stuff is too old/rotted to work anymore, and there is very little new cedar growth, plus, I'm not gonna fall a small tree this low down, it wold be a political nightmare.

I have contacted a few tree service companies, and have been able to score a few rounds of cedar when they fall a tree in someones yard, i use this for rungs, as for stringers, I have been buying 4x8 cedar beams for this. (only once, and my wife doesn't know) but that was for a very small bridge section 8' long.

Best of luck

there are sections of fromme that are literally littered with cedar as you found out on the trail day. it may mean packing some wood down the mtn but it's better than buying it and packing it up the mtn

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 29, 2005, 5:12 p.m.

Yeah, You're right Synchro

And thanks for the lesson on Sunday AM. I'm sorry I had to split after lunch, I just saw the Photos, It look great.

I would need to hook up with someone who can get a vehicle up there so I can tow some logs down the road from above. It is a long hike from the cedar strewn forest floor to the switchbacks on Griffen. It was a long hike home from Expresso on sunday, I would hate to have to do that with a log on my shoulder.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Sept. 30, 2005, 1:20 p.m.

hard work is the name of the game

Try hauling 2 50lb boxes of nails in 2 backpacks to the 5th swithback through the woods…

Hauling the material is 75% of the work.

Look on the good side, you will lose a lot of weight and gain some muscle.

Sept. 30, 2005, 3:22 p.m.

you will lose a lot of weight and gain some muscle.

Are you trying to tell me something????? :crybaby:

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Sept. 30, 2005, 3:30 p.m.

Are you trying to tell me something????? :crybaby:

HAHA, no dude I have not meet you yet.

But, I do have 4 cases of nails to be carried to the top for the tools that are working
on ladies if you would like the experience :)

Sept. 30, 2005, 3:48 p.m.

Is sunday afternoon too late, Cuase I'll do it then

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Sept. 30, 2005, 3:52 p.m.

To early

Rumor is one of the fools is taking all of October off to work up there and wont need the nails until next weekend.

If you want to help grunt the nails up later next week. If you can carry 2 at once I will buy yo u beverages of your choice at the black bear :)