berm - the new skinny

April 29, 2009, 12:55 p.m.

A couple things among many to consider when building a berm (especially on an established technical trail)

1. Does the trail need a berm or is the skill-building of a flat corner a better option
2. If you're going to do it anyway, think Drainage. A berm is a big water collector just by virtue of it's shape. This is the 'wet' coast.

Just say no to berm bathtubs! Make it right.

April 29, 2009, 12:58 p.m.

like this?

Both are excellent points, although every trail day WILL see a berm built (experience from 25+ traildays). If you can direct where and how it should be built, then everyone comes out happier.

April 29, 2009, 1 p.m.

here's another interesting berm drawing to consider (seriously)…

April 29, 2009, 6:18 p.m.

put a drain in the berm….done

April 29, 2009, 8:34 p.m.

proper drains that will last are very time consuming to build, and there are few places where that would be considered the best option. building with an eye to drainage is relatively simple.

April 29, 2009, 8:46 p.m.

Both are excellent points, although every trail day WILL see a berm built.

Ha! That's so true. "Let's build a sick berm right here." Right Dave?

"It's, like, so much fun."

April 29, 2009, 8:53 p.m.

I use 6" pipes that I find on jobsites. I also try to run a "gutter" on the inside of the berm. Filled with small rocks.

All the drainage is planned before I start placing rocks. I also have to be able to see the line. A poorly placed berm is useless.

Another thing to consider about deciding on whether or not to build a berm is……Now there is a berm here. I can carry wicked speed through this corner……Now what. You might have just created more work for yourself.

April 29, 2009, 8:54 p.m.

it's the nature of the old designs of the trails we have and the new style of ridng. 15-20 years ago we didn't need berms b/c the style of riding was slow tech in large part due to the bikes. now everyone and their sister has a big suspension bike and wants to ride fast and in a straight line. hence berms are put in every where there is a tight corner.

thought out properly tho, berms can be set up to drain well .

but i could just be talking out my ass here.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 29, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

Oh c'mon… berms were around way before skinnies.

Future post-trail day complaints can be directed to [email protected]
Or all together avoided by showing up and providing input.

April 29, 2009, 11:03 p.m.

haven't you heard barry, people don't like change. they'd rather just ride rutted out trails instead.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 29, 2009, 11:37 p.m.

I predict rutted out trails will be the next big thing….

It'll be like riding a skinny that you can't possibly fall off of.
It also means less trail maintenance and safer trails.

Everybody wins!!

A rat is just a squirrel with street cred

April 29, 2009, 11:47 p.m.

nothing wrong with berms, as long as they keep the trail flowing and drain when it rains.

April 30, 2009, 6:30 a.m.

I predict rutted out trails will be the next big thing….

rutted out trails are already raging, full on. chunder is dead. long live chunder.

lots of good advice in this thread, except from synchro.

"It's, like, so much fun."

April 30, 2009, 7:28 a.m.

Barry, I'm going to keep this one nice. My post had absolutely NOTHING to do with the trail day. I haven't even seen the work done on Snakes and Ladders. My post has to do with work I've seen elsewhere and just happened to coincide with a trail day where apparently berms were built. News to me.

Don't drag me into a pissing contest on berms and Snakes and Ladders.

April 30, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

Barry, I'm going to keep this one nice. My post had absolutely NOTHING to do with the trail day. I haven't even seen the work done on Snakes and Ladders. My post has to do with work I've seen elsewhere and just happened to coincide with a trail day where apparently berms were built. News to me.

Don't drag me into a pissing contest on berms and Snakes and Ladders.

Sorry if my post was misunderstood, it's clear that you're just discussing a valid topic, and my post was in reference to Clark, not you.

I have no desire to enter a contest, pissing or otherwise, with anyone.

And so it's known… The Janitor is a huge supporter of the trail days through his business (Bean Around the World Brackendale). The biggest supporter actually, so I'm sure there is no beef.

In general, to get upset about trail work because it's not your style is weak. People have lives and can't make every day, this I totally understand. But it still stands: Show up and bitch, don't bitch afterwards on the e-web. Let's work together as a team ON THE GROUND. Not fight over a keyboard.

b