Attention: Ned's / Lower Seymour Trail Users

July 15, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

There is an important change to the Lower Seymour trail network. Mystery Creek trail was recently repaired by Metro Vancouver and will now be used for HIKING ONLY due to the unsustainable nature of the trail alignment for mountain bike use. Additionally, the lower exit from Ned[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s to the powerlines will be permanently closed to prevent bikes from exiting the area via Mystery Creek Trail (see attached map). These changes will only have a minor impact on mountain bike users of the area if the following routes are used.

For Ned[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s shuttle riders:
1) To exit to Riverside drive (which traditionally some riders do via Mystery Creek Trail), turn right where the powerlines exit will be closed and do the 10 minute ride/push up to bottletop trail (a mountain bike primary trail) to end up on Fisherman[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s Trail only 100m from the regular exit of Mystery Creek Trail. This route actually increases the amount of MTB specific trails you get to ride, and the NSMBA TAP program has recently worked on bottletop trail and there are more improvements on the way!
2) As an alternative, shuttle groups can exit Ned[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s to Hyannis Point at the top of Berkley Road. This exit is a LEFT turn immediately after the final log ride to drop stunt on Ned[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s and is currently marked with a sign post and map. At the powerlines, turn left, cross the small bridge, and follow Hyannis Trail to the right which is a flat/downhill ride to Berkley Road. This route does not involve any significant uphill riding.
3) A second exit to Riverside drive is to use the same route as option 2, except to take a right turn on the Bridle Path which is a multi-use trail between Hyannis and Fisherman[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s trail and will allow riders to exit to Riverside Drive again with very little climbing. Be sure to yield to uphill traffic and other trail users on Bridle Path.

For Lower Seymour XC/AM trail users:
1) These changes will have little impact on this rider group in the area, with the exception of those riders using Ridgerunner. There will be no downhill access to Fisherman[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s trail via Ridgerunner. Instead, all riders must climb back up the trail, or use the powerlines to return to the Hyannis or Bottletop to access. The powerlines trail will be groomed to smooth the climb making it the preferred option.

Numerous kissing gates have been installed on Mystery Creek Trail to prevent bikes from using it and Metro Vancouver staff will be monitoring the area through the summer to implement these minor changes. Respect of this closure will leave more time for Metro Vancouver staff to work on other parts of the Lower Seymour trail network and not have to repair Mystery Creek again due to bicycle traffic.

Additionally, signage will be installed soon that will direct bicycle traffic to the appropriate routes around the area. Questions / comments / concerns for the land managers are best sent to [email protected]

Happy Trails,

Metro Vancouver staff at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve

July 15, 2011, 10:47 a.m.

2) As an alternative, shuttle groups can exit Ned’s to Hyannis Point at the top of Berkley Road. This exit is a right turn immediately after the final log ride to drop stunt on Ned’s and is currently marked with a sign post and map. At the powerlines, turn left, cross the small bridge, and follow Hyannis Trail to the right which is a flat/downhill ride to Berkley Road. This route does not involve any significant uphill riding.

Exit is a left turn after the drop (assuming you've come down Neds).

July 15, 2011, 11:40 a.m.

I think you have the trail names backwards on your map. What is labelled Bridle Path is actually Hyannis. Thanks for the notice though. For the record, Mystery creek, aka Baby Heads, aka Amniotic Alley sucks on a bike anyway.

And couch is correct, left at the end of the Ned's Atomic Dustbin stunts.

Oh yeah, I am not positive but I believe that the so called Hyannis climb from Fishermen's used to actually be signed as Mystery Creek. Last time I looked at the sign it said Hyannis. Unless I am going stupid in mu y old age. Don't answer that!

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 15, 2011, 12:22 p.m.

is ridgerunner climbable on an xc bike?

July 15, 2011, 12:43 p.m.

is ridgerunner climbable on an xc bike?

Never tried myself but I think that would be very challenging. Very.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 16, 2011, 6:39 a.m.

ridgerunner would be one tough climb, but I won't say its impossible!

And the map is correct. Bridle path starts on fishermans and connects thru hyannis trail, where for a short distance, bridal and hyannis are the same trail. Hyannis trail goes from the powerlines to hyannis point at the top of berkley road. Trust me I know these things, I work there!

Sept. 1, 2011, 4:09 a.m.

I notice that on this map it shows a trail that supposedly links up to the top of bottle top. I rode back there once (the first time I was looking for bottle top) and noticed some really old structures that were no longer in use. But they looked pretty involved, like it was a popular trail at some point. However, I've never seen that trail listed on any map, and nobody ever seems to know what I'm talking about. Anybody know?

And just for the record, can I say how much I hate the bottom of bottle top? Unless you're flying, it's just a sliding mess. I feel like it's worse this year (I went a couple weeks ago) than it was a few years ago, and people worked on it this summer? Too bad, because the top is fast and fun.

Sept. 1, 2011, 10:02 a.m.

I notice that on this map it shows a trail that supposedly links up to the top of bottle top. I rode back there once (the first time I was looking for bottle top) and noticed some really old structures that were no longer in use. But they looked pretty involved, like it was a popular trail at some point. However, I've never seen that trail listed on any map, and nobody ever seems to know what I'm talking about. Anybody know?

And just for the record, can I say how much I hate the bottom of bottle top? Unless you're flying, it's just a sliding mess. I feel like it's worse this year (I went a couple weeks ago) than it was a few years ago, and people worked on it this summer? Too bad, because the top is fast and fun.

The trail that continues north then turns west is flat then it climbs up to bottletop closer to lizard lake.

There are not stunts on it.

The bottom of Bottle top always gets likes this in the summer when its dry. It firms up in the winter with more moisture.
There is an NSMBA tap trail project on Bottle top this year. They were going to reroute parts of the trail, I think the whole bottom should be rerouted. Its starting to slump near the bottom. You can see where the area below the trail slid about 2-3 years ago.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 1, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

The trail that continues north then turns west is flat then it climbs up to bottletop closer to lizard lake.

There are not stunts on it.

Perhaps the exact trail I'm speaking of slightly veers off the mapped trail? There are definitely old features back there. I'm going to have to take pictures because nobody seems to have a clue as to what I'm talking about and I'm starting to think I dreamt it. I wish I had the time right now. It's going to drive me crazy all weekend.

Sept. 1, 2011, 5:15 p.m.

nope, there's no trails that aren't on the map. Sorry.

Sept. 1, 2011, 5:49 p.m.

Hi this is my first post and I am fishing for info, so don't think I am being sneaky. And don't be suspicious, even though my name is a cool play on words… I notice that on this map it shows a trail that supposedly links up to the top of bottle top. I rode back there once (the first time I was looking for bottle top) and noticed some really old structures that were no longer in use. But they looked pretty involved, like it was a popular trail at some point. However, I've never seen that trail listed on any map, and nobody ever seems to know what I'm talking about. Anybody know?

Fixed…

Sept. 4, 2011, 1:55 a.m.

Fixed…

Huh?

First of all… friendly bunch, aren't you. Secondly, I wasn't "fishing." I blatantly asked exactly what I wanted to know. Not sure how that is "sneaky." Third, the trail I'm speaking of wasn't even rideable, so not sure what what there is to be suspicious about. And last, what you consider a "play on words" (which it hardly is), is simply a song lyric. Paranoid much?

Sept. 4, 2011, 8:33 a.m.

Huh?

First of all… friendly bunch, aren't you.

Welcome to the boys club….

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Sept. 13, 2011, 8:51 p.m.

Rode Bottletop today and it's in fine summer form! The work that was done this year has really smoothed out some of the sketchier sections. The marbles on the lower traverse are inevitable and there's actually a sweet track of clean dirt right now.

flickr

Sept. 14, 2011, 6:11 p.m.

That marbly section is the best part of that trail.

Thread killer