Addition to Stix n stones

Nov. 21, 2010, 4:50 p.m.

Keep the trail as is. It has been a little while since I rode Stix n Stones so I may not have rode the new addition, but I think the trail is an excellent addition to the trails on the shore. The trail is challenging to clean it, and has plenty of flow.

Hey Oldfart isn't the trail easier going counter-clockwise as then you have the roll down behind the big boulder. Running it clockwise would mean you'd have to climb the roll up and around the big boulder.

Regardless, IMO the trail is lots of fun. Major props to you for the build.

As for Cardiac Bypass, I like that as well, wish it was longer and had more features and was a little more chanllengig like Stix n Stones. Perhaps a trail could be worked that would snake up and down between Cardiac and Cardiac bypass. It would increase the length by looping up and down between the trails and possibly some nice features like were built on Stix n stones
could be incorporated.

PS, the last time I rode Stix n stones I got a good scare. Was out on a night ride by myself, struggling with lack of energy and having lots of dabs where I usually never dab. Looked down from just before the big boulder and say what looked to be a set of eyes looking back at me. Big green glowing eyes. Took off the headphones to hear if it was another rider with a dog, but couldn't see another light or the glowing eyes again. Needless to say I had a little better energy finishing the rest of the trail off.

Nov. 21, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

Hey Oldfart isn't the trail easier going counter-clockwise as then you have the roll down behind the big boulder. Running it clockwise would mean you'd have to climb the roll up and around the big boulder.

PS, the last time I rode Stix n stones I got a good scare. Was out on a night ride by myself, struggling with lack of energy and having lots of dabs where I usually never dab. Looked down from just before the big boulder and say what looked to be a set of eyes looking back at me. Big green glowing eyes. Took off the headphones to hear if it was another rider with a dog, but couldn't see another light or the glowing eyes again. Needless to say I had a little better energy finishing the rest of the trail off.

Damn digital watches. Yeah counter clockwise.

The green eyes would be the aliens. Wear tinfoil under your helmet and your golden.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 21, 2010, 5:59 p.m.

Damn digital watches. Yeah counter clockwise.

The green eyes would be the aliens. Wear tinfoil under your helmet and your golden.

I'm okay with the aliens, it's the other animals I worry about. Could there be cougars this low down. I've heard that cat's eyes tend to be greenish in the dark when light hits them.

Nov. 21, 2010, 6:06 p.m.

New addition is great, both directions rock, job well done!

And just in time for the winter lower mtn riding, should get lots of rubber on it. Look forward to more similar trails in that area to enlarge the network.

I have enjoyed doing figure 8 loops between the addition and the cardiac hills, good times!

Think the bypass is good as is, might do with a bit of love to clean it up, but i think it should be maintained as a straight shot that is a "bypass" not a weave, which might defeat the purpose… trail networks are good when there are options, sometimes the option of a quick route is important.

keep up the good work, big cheers again!

Nov. 21, 2010, 6:47 p.m.

What about continuing the addition past the bypass and up the hill to some weaving, making more creative use of the area without disrupting the straight-shot bypass as TRD mentions? I do enjoy the straightness of the bypass when my legs are about to give out.

flickr

Nov. 21, 2010, 7:27 p.m.

The plan would be for Sticks and Stones to be a complete loop. So it would continue up and then weave back down to eventually meet the original entrance to the first section.

As for Cardiac Bypass, I guess my question is more related to how attached people are to the technical features of the trail.

Like what if Cardiac Bypass became a smooth and wide, flowy line cut just above the old one? (with proper decom. of the old line)

Nov. 21, 2010, 7:49 p.m.

yikes!
i had a similar thing happen to me on burke, but it was a strange "thud" that shouldn't have been there more than a set of glowing eyes. i'm not sure which is worse… solo night rides can be interesting that's for sure.

Nov. 22, 2010, 9:25 a.m.

I've seen a black bear there before.

There are bears in the neighborhood fairly regularly. I think it was last year that there were reports of a cougar that had come down into lower Seymour area, but that's not the norm.

I'd be more concerned about getting skunked.

Nov. 22, 2010, 9:43 a.m.

The only cougars I have seen were wearing bright white and blue running bras. I have heard of the furry types too. Last fall I was advised by a ranger that one might have been spotted near the cemetery on Lilloet Road but the ranger seemed doubtful. I have seen deer there as well as further up towards the Seymour Dam so I would not think it too far out of the realm of possibility. I be willing to bet that many of us have been seen by a real cougar but we did not see it. My dog has at times become interested at something and barked at something off the trails.

Nov. 22, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

Its a two way trail and awesome! Matt thanks for all your hard work, always enjoy are trails side chats and know you got paid back by seeing all the sweet lululemon outfits as you put time in on the GG:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFIeXmxW2U

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 22, 2010, 11:40 a.m.

Nice one Dave.

Nov. 22, 2010, 3:10 p.m.

re: Green eyes in the woods

Probably a deer. This has happened to me a few times while wandering through the woods with the headlamp on - green eyes are deer. I think cougar are red in the dark…..but not 100% sure.

hoping to ride SnS soon but i need to train the new mutt first and that might take a while. Nice to meet ya the other night over beers.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Nov. 22, 2010, 9:02 p.m.

Its a two way trail and awesome! Matt thanks for all your hard work, always enjoy are trails side chats and know you got paid back by seeing all the sweet lululemon outfits as you put time in on the GG:D

Thanks for that Dave :woot: Now I want to grab the rig and head to North Van to explore the goods. It's been too long on Bridal and Seymour.

Nov. 23, 2010, 9:49 a.m.

Thanks for that Dave :woot: Now I want to grab the rig and head to North Van to explore the goods. It's been too long on Bridal and Seymour.

Bridle. Not wedding related but horse.

Nov. 23, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

Bridle. Not wedding related but horse.

No matter how you spell it: great work Matt!

A staple of the Tuesday Night Night ride (traction was unbelievable in both directions tonight by-the-by, love frozen dirt).

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather