A challenge join the fvmba!

Jan. 28, 2011, 4:15 p.m.

A challenge has been issued by the fvmba executive.
As a executive member I am answering it .
To bring up our membership numbers.
Todate fvmba funds the bulk have come from the Bear Mtn race.
We know we cannot rely on this formula and we have looked at how we do things and how we can make it better.
Riders in our area's can see the changes and how maintenance issues are dealt with fast. We have a expanded executive this year and have come up with a plan.
Our website is so much better (no more looking at dave's manboobs.)video's onsite.
We continue to move ahead on signage (vedder/ sumas/ mission is next)
Maps can now be bought at most bike shops of Vedder/Woodlot/Mission's RED/BEAR / and Sumas mtn. gpsed and ready,with the funds going to fvmba.
Twoonie 6 race series coming starting March 6 (Mattbc )will announce this .
We have affiliated with cyclingbc for insurance for this,and we will be looking for volunteers to help make this happen. Fvmba is a affliated with IMBA and holds a insurance policy for our volunteers /traildays and todate for Sumas Mtn. where we have signed an agreement with Ministry of tourism/sports and culture /arts for the legalization of Sumas mtn trails ,fvmba carrys the liability ins. for these trails. Look to Sumas mtn XC trails the whole E. side which I just rode is fantastic,new extensions ,nearly the whole system here in the bush.
We have partnered with TrailsBC (TransCanada trail) and City of Abbotsford to put in a new exit for TimeKiller and Chadsey Lake ,which will lengthen (read more dh ) onto this great trail system,as well as put another new exit to the fsr.
The fvmba has helped out other clubs in their startup, have represented all bikers if they are in our area,continues on countless meetings to represent all riders.
So answer this challenge, send in that $20 .
Those who were members,it doesn't count if you haven't re signed up.
Together we stand divided we fall, now make me look good, signs zee paper….
g

FVMBA Website

Jan. 29, 2011, 12:15 a.m.

Too bad that Bear Mtn race is on the same day as Test of Metal. I was either going to volunteer or race in that…..oh well maybe next year.

I think anyone that rides these trails should really pony up the 20$. Such a small cost for what I see has been alot of work.

The maps are great. It would be cool to get the .gpx file off the website and pull into my Garmin (I dont know all the trails yet), I'd pay few bucks for that. But the GPS coordinates with the map will probably work fine.

I am more of a XC kind of rider, so in the spring i will start riding Sumas MTN. I ride Red and love it.

Keep up the great work FVMBA! Thanks. (yes, I am a new member as of a couple months ago)

Jan. 29, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

Cheque's in the mail (plus tip!).

Thanks for reminding me (and everyone) Gary. I hadn't pitched in since moving back to the valley last summer but am excited about what's to come!

Jan. 29, 2011, 11:48 a.m.

Right on, Gary! I'm taking up the challenge to increase membership as well. It's not so much the membership fees that we need, but the membership numbers so that we are a substantial voice when we go to government. This is what can really make a difference, especially when we need the politicians to get involved. Municipal elections are just around the corner, too.

FVMBA 2010 Accomplishments:

1. Built some incredible trails such as Rock Diva and extensions to Holiday Sauce and Emma Peel
2. Formalized a Partnership Agreement with Recreation Sites [HTML_REMOVED] Trails BC to establish the Sumas Mountain Bike Recreation Site
3. Partnered with Gutsploder.net to produce and distribute trail maps for the Woodlot, Bear Mountain, Red Mountain, Sumas Mountain and Vedder Mountain. These maps are available to anyone for a small fee and are sold in bike shops throughout the Lower Mainland.
4. New signage demarcating trail entrances and exits on Sumas Mountain
5. Group Rides and BBQ[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s on Sumas (Mar. 21), Bear [HTML_REMOVED] Red (Apr. 17), and Vedder (May 16 and Oct. 31)
6. The FVMBA organized a total of six trail days, including four days on Vedder, one day on Bear and one day on Sumas
7. The FVMBA has been carefully cultivating relationships with local governments to build on in the future to keep our trails open and support new trail development
8. New ground has been broken in the development of partnerships with other trail users such as Recreation Sites [HTML_REMOVED] Trails BC and the Vedder Mountain Trails Association
9. Development of the FVMBA brand and website to more effectively promote the sport of mountain biking in the Fraser Valley
10. Increased capacity to organize races, trail maintenance and attract funding for new trails by developing and strengthening the FVMBA team.

FVMBA 2011 Strategic Priorities:

[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Ongoing trail maintenance in all regions
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Development of Sumas Mountain (Beginner and Intermediate accessibility)
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Increase FVMBA membership
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Increase membership proportion of youth and female riders
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Increase FVMBA capacity through grant support and fund-raising initiatives
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Improve FVMBA website to attract more visitors
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Host events such as group rides, races, and social evenings
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Create FVMBA merchandise
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Red and Bear Mountain Signage and Trail Management Agreements in process and should be completed during the Summer of 2011.
[HTML_REMOVED]#8226; Partner with Bear Mountain Race Committee for the promotion and administration of the Bear Mountain Challenge (XC and DH) 2011. This will be a banner event for the FVMBA in 2011!

Please take the time to become a member and let the voice of the mountain biking community be heard throughout the Fraser Valley Region!

Soon, you will once again be able to purchase your membership online. In the meantime, just follow the link below for the form:

-http://www.fvmba.com/how-to-join/

Thanks for contributing!

d

www.fvmba.com

Jan. 29, 2011, 5:42 p.m.

Caution - the online registration for membership is not currently active, but should be by Monday.

Jan. 29, 2011, 6:33 p.m.

The maps are great. It would be cool to get the .gpx file off the website and pull into my Garmin (I dont know all the trails yet)

Goto http://www.gutsploder.net/ and choose a map. Save it.
Open google earth, and goto add, image overlay
It takes a bit to get it right but it's easy enough.

Now trace the trails you want and save the file as a .kml

Now go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and convert it to a .gpx

Copy and paste into windows notepad and save as whatever.gpx

Open in mapquest or whatever and load it onto your gps.

transition bikes

Jan. 29, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

^^
Or drop me a PM and I'll send you a .kml directly.

d

www.fvmba.com

Jan. 29, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

Done.

Jan. 29, 2011, 10:51 p.m.

^^
Or drop me a PM and I'll send you a .kml directly.

I did. Would love to have it!

:woot:

Feb. 1, 2011, 12:29 a.m.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gary Harder again.

Feb. 1, 2011, 6:54 a.m.

does fvmba have anything to do with ledgeview? it's the only valley area i ride (hoping to change that this year) and i'd like to pay my dues

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 1, 2011, 7:03 a.m.

does fvmba have anything to do with ledgeview? it's the only valley area i ride (hoping to change that this year) and i'd like to pay my dues

Well then you sir are sorely missing out.

Feb. 1, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

Ledgeview is private property,and this puts organizations in a bit of a pickle,over promoting this area. For years as some will know this green beauty of a area in the middle of Abbotsford trail builders cut their teeth there, and some continue. Those of us who grew up around here partied hard on second and third field and the cliffs way back. When the original trails got built (Buttuffuco/then little Amy Fisher) and then expanded and expanded, some of us tried our best to seek agreements with the land owners to no avail. Some keep the area clean of garbage and try our best to keep it safe,as well as continue to talk to the owners and city planning over what will become of this area. Latest was attending a sherrit with owners and consultants /fisheries etc.. The idea of donating some land to the city for a park has been put out there but the reality is this imo.
The many who own this land want to develop it and make their money,I have seen plans for solid houses top to bottom. MoFisheries has told some it will not turn out that way,the cliffs are safe ,as is the very top (most likely a park area) The Tretheweys (RGC area ) will most likey get to develop their area first,and the new road will ,get rid,of a big problem for developers , that is they must have two exits off the mountain in a emergency. The other being water capacity ( but enough money and a new tower would be put up,this would most likely satisfy fire/ subdivision usage) In the years to come look to approx. 30% of this area to stay green and undeveloped ,over the years all the planners I have talked to have left ? Some like the last demanded a better vision of this area. I am not privy to their thoughts and maybe the planners have just naturally quit or moved on ? I have always said those who ride there , respect it and keep it clean.
don't go putting up massive structures just off the road where the owners can't but see it.
Sitting on the cliffs looking over the valley is one of the gems of my life especially when done with my son or friends,ending the day riding home or finishing off at Clayburn Village ,lifes good.
There is a reason for building like mad on Sumas or other area's, when the changes come ,we can make new memories and smile while looking back on those days.
It's not all bad,though mtnbiking has never had so many dedicated rider/builders , great riding area's like woodlot/red/bear/sumas/vedder are all getting a lot of love and support.
So again to those who ride ,look to the positives and don't forget to enjoy what we have.
Riding a bike looking backwards is always trouble.
G

FVMBA Website

Feb. 1, 2011, 9:52 a.m.

Well said, Gary. Ledgeview is truly a gem, though. We must keep up the pressure to save some of our trails up there. Also, we must preserve trail-continuity from the summit of McKee Point to the Lost Oakley.

Back to the membership challenge, please visit the link below for Online Registration with the FVMBA:

-http://www.fvmba.com/how-to-join/

I'm just about to have a family join the FVMBA through the Family Membership option. That's five new members for me. Plus, I'll be re-registering my family, that's six more (assuming I can count my girls and baby boy, who will all be MTB'ers someday, guaranteed). I will win this challenge! Woo hoo!

d

www.fvmba.com

Feb. 1, 2011, 12:37 p.m.

Riding a bike looking backwards is always trouble.
G

Quoted for excellence.