16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Jan. 21, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

Thats definately not a tall boy back there.

diggin

Jan. 21, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

One kid I grew up with tried to cut his head in half from a kick back so I quite conscience of safety. Of course back then none of us wore much protective gear.

I had to drive in my dad's van for a few years with the blood stain on the passenger seat from when he drove our neighbour to the Emerg with his finger in a bag. Chainsaws are not a toy, and I was reluctant to use one until we got the training from BCIT.

PS - February 1, March 1 and March 22 - $230. Hopefully non students can attend.

http://www.bcit.ca/study/courses/renr1145

Jan. 21, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

Uhoh, when svennie spots those assless chaps he is going to get some. I predict he goes scottish kilt style.. Aka commando.. Oh the humanity….

Got me some chaps a long time ago. I also have heavy kevlar pants (used, with a test cut in the leg that didn't cut flesh), but they're far to heavy for trailwork. Just for the bedroom.

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:17 p.m.

Is it cool to collect firewood from trees that are already on the ground on fromme or similar? I am having trouble understanding where the legal/illegal line is when it comes to cutting a log that is already down. For example is it ok to cut a tree when you are using the materials for a trail but not for firewood? What about the rest of the tree once that is used? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I would rather not have an altercation in the forest with chainsaws.
Is there an actual document out there for reference?

Jan. 23, 2014, 10:58 p.m.

collection of firewood is not authorized anywhere on the north shore. you can probably get some off an FSR in crown land off the north shore, but i believe there is a permit you need.

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:03 a.m.

Still a wee bit confused regarding the legality of purposing a log for trail development… (Chainsawing it to rounds and then splitting to planks) vs a guy going in to cut rounds and splitting it. Do you need a permit for that when doing trail work of that type?

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:06 a.m.

i don't know for sure,, but i don't think you can just go trail building on the shore..?

Jan. 24, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

I had to drive in my dad's van for a few years with the blood stain on the passenger seat from when he drove our neighbour to the Emerg with his finger in a bag. Chainsaws are not a toy, and I was reluctant to use one until we got the training from BCIT.

PS - February 1, March 1 and March 22 - $230. Hopefully non students can attend.

http://www.bcit.ca/study/courses/renr1145

I took this course through BCIT around 10yrs ago, good course I would recommend it for sure. The instructor (not sure if it's still the same guy) was very knowledgeable and did a good job conveying the material across.

Jan. 24, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

…..but they're far to heavy for trailwork. Just for the bedroom.

boom chicka wow wow….

Jan. 24, 2014, 9:35 a.m.

collection of firewood is not authorized anywhere on the north shore. you can probably get some off an FSR in crown land off the north shore, but i believe there is a permit you need.

Use of a chainsaw on DNV or Metro Land (most of Fromme and Seymour) is not permitted in the forest unless you have a permit to use it, issued by the landowner.

Parks Bylaw:

No person shall cut, break, injure or in any way destroy, despoil, remove or damage any tree, shrub, plant, turf or flower, or any building, structure, fence, sign, seat, bench or ornament of any kind, or in any way foul or pollute any fountain, lake, stream, pool, pond, well or spring in or on any park, or injure, deface or destroy any notices, rules or regulations posted in any park.

Permits to build trail and use tools can be arranged from the DNV Parks Department, through the NSMBA. It's a very simple process, just contact the NSMBA to learn how to adopt a trail.

I'm sure every municipality has similar bylaws, and each area of land has a specific land owner who make their own rules.

Jan. 24, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

Then you've also got Tree Protection Bylaw 7671 which you can read for yourself. Same link, scroll down.

Jan. 24, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2010-03_fromme-update

old news, but still relevant.

Trail Walkthroughs and Permitting
Since February, the NSMBA has been working with the DNV on completing trail walkthroughs on Fromme. During a walkthrough, representatives from the DNV and the NSMBA meet with the trail maintainer to develop an understanding for the vision of the trail and work to be done during the year. Areas of concern, such as trail erosion and riparian area crossing, are identified and work plans are agreed upon. At the end of a walkthrough (which usually takes at least 4 hours), the maintainer is generally issued a trail work permit for the year. So far we have completed walkthroughs and permits have been issued for Espresso, Lower Oilcan, Lower Crippler, Digger, and Boundary. Additional permits for Ladies Only, King of the Shore, Natural High and Floppy Bunny have also been issued. Walkthroughs for Air Supply, Jerry Rig, Grannies and Upper Crippler have been completed with positive feedback, however additional discussion is still needed and no plans have been finalized as of yet.

From a landowners perspective, the DNV has an obligation and bureaucratic need to be knowledgeable about, oversee, and approve any changes or improvements to the trail network. The NSMBA and the maintainers on Fromme have an enormous amount of experience and knowledge about the mountain and how to build and maintain trails. By organizing these walkthroughs, the NSMBA is working to develop a mutual understanding of interests, formalize agreements, and build a positive working relationship with the landowners on the North Shore.

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:28 p.m.

What are the deets regarding Crown land? No lease…not a park…

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:37 p.m.

Section 57 approval if you're asking about trails.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_02069_01#section57

probably section 52 if you want to cut wood

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_02069_01

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

and I didn't know section 55 was a law, but you can't nail into any timber, let alone live trees (duh)