16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Dec. 4, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

yea my 261 is in good shape, still new..my 270 needs some love..

Dec. 5, 2013, 7:58 a.m.

I'm a "pro"; I use saws every day for work. I work on a production basis so if my saw isn't running, I'm not making a dime. .

curious if you have ever run or seen somebody run non pro equipment how did that go?

Dec. 5, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

Promise i wont say the word pro in this post…ahhh fuck I just did. More flow out means more flow or air coming in which needs more fuel to make the air fuel ratio right. Is what I have been told, Im not the pro….shit again.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 5, 2013, 7:03 p.m.

^^ Thats a nice hole. Ive done the research and asked ppl who know.

diggin

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

^^ Thats a nice hole. Ive done the research and asked ppl who know.

who? Pros?

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:26 a.m.

cause pros know for sure..i met one once,,he was sharp..

Dec. 6, 2013, 1:37 p.m.

who? Pros?

I refrain from saying the word now, but maybe.

diggin

Dec. 8, 2013, 9:24 a.m.

curious if you have ever run or seen somebody run non pro equipment how did that go?

Yes, I worked on a brush cutting contract (just cutting thimbleberry, fireweed - nothing woody) with a guy we were supposed to pick up from the Greyhound depot on the way to the contract. He shows up with no saw in sight but says no problem, just has to stop at Wal-Mart around the corner where he picks up a $99 Weedwacker. He came to work for a few weeks and I think he did alright, probably making close to $300 a day until the saw blew up then he probably returned it and hopped back on the Greyhound and we never saw him again.

Dec. 9, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

Really?

I've used my saws for 3 seasons of non stop full throttle commercial day in/day out use with the muffler bored out with absolutely no problems, in fact those saws are still running better than when they came out of the store. They've seen well over 2500hrs with nothing more than fresh air filters and spark plugs as needed - absolutely no problems so far and I'd say I've put those saws through much more than the "average" user might.

I have a hard time believing you don't ever pull out your little screwdriver and adjust your carbs and that you've never rebuilt your carbs? No rings?

Ozibatla is not "wrong", but it's not neccesarily totally correct either. Most saws with the new EPA-BS muffler end up getting tuned too rich if tuned by ear (a tach will show they're often "under" rpm, even out of the shop).

When you open up the muffler it does in fact allow more air to flow, but the carb doesn't necessarily self adjust to put out that much more fuel to fully compensate so most of the time you just end up in the optimal rpm range for the saw by accident with a small muffler mod. If you were already on the rpm WOT no load spec for the saw, then in all likelihood, the saw would end up too lean and over rpm'd. EPA makes the manufacturers put on little plastic limiter caps that limit the amount of fuel you can jam into the cylinder so you do have to be cognizant of how big you go.

Unless you really gape the exhaust outlet (hehe) it is a really minor change that needs to be made (or none at all) - even my brazil muffler on my 066 (two 1" round holes, gutted baffles) was maybe a 1/8 turn more than the single outlet muffler. The big bore/port/squish tighten plus muff gape-age resulted in almost a full turn further open to keep the rpms below 15000. My modded ms260 required a MS440 carb to fuel it - the little carb just could not do it even with drilled jets [HTML_REMOVED] bored venturi.

regardless, I think we would all agree: a sharp chain [HTML_REMOVED] any motor mod you can do (for a work saw, anyways)…

www.mmbts.com

Dec. 9, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

When I said re-jet I was probably thinking of 2 stroke dirtbikes from the past which you could only adjust lowspeed, raise/lower needle or rejet

Internet stuff I have read indicated you might fiddle with the highspeed screw after the muffler mod on a saw but I'm no expurt and I am happy enough with my saw as is

I think I read you could pull those caps off with a dry wall screw?

Dec. 9, 2013, 7:15 p.m.

I have a hard time believing you don't ever pull out your little screwdriver and adjust your carbs and that you've never rebuilt your carbs? No rings?

You read it right the first time, never done anything of the sort.

Dec. 9, 2013, 7:34 p.m.

You read it right the first time, never done anything of the sort.

U make a living cutting?

Cool story bro.

www.mmbts.com

Dec. 10, 2013, 3:18 a.m.

Brushing is a hard job. Why are you guys busting his balls?

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Dec. 10, 2013, 6:06 p.m.

U make a living cutting?

Cool story bro.

Not any more actually :)
It's been a good way to work a flexible enough schedule to ride my bike and snowboard in my downtime while putting money in the bank but after 10yrs of various bush work from brushing to research work to forest engineering I've moved on to other things. Best way I could have spent my 20's with no regrets at all though

Sorry I wasn't able to agree with you earlier though, I see it rubbed you the wrong way ;)

Dec. 11, 2013, 7:45 a.m.

Sorry I wasn't able to agree with you earlier though, I see it rubbed you the wrong way ;)

Not at all. I just find your case to be the extreme exception. Never heard of a saw making 2000+ hours without a clutch drum, recoil, rings, carb etc… What brand and model? because I'm gonna buy a few. Like I said, cool story. lol

www.mmbts.com