16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Feb. 1, 2013, 8:31 p.m.

LOL,I was wondering when you would pickup on that one

Your comment doesn't factor in how much it gets used, how far it has to get hiked in, etc. I'm not building structures, it's purely for clearing deadfall on new lines and existing trails, which doesn't take a lot. One of the trails I work on requires a hike in with 800m elevation gain, so weight really is a consideration

Feb. 1, 2013, 8:32 p.m.

LOL,I was wondering when you would pickup on that one

Your comment doesn't factor in how much it gets used, how far it has to get hiked in, etc. I'm not building structures, it's purely for clearing deadfall on new lines and existing trails, which doesn't take a lot. One of the trails I work on requires a hike in with 800m elevation gain, so weight really is a consideration

but seriously the ranger will work fine for many yrs ….will your cheap saw ?

Feb. 1, 2013, 8:38 p.m.

but seriously the ranger will work fine for many yrs ….will your cheap saw ?

based on your logic of not using it all that much and not driving it too hard it should :)

its in perfect shape after a couple of low milage yrs cuz I drive on my terms, at only 15000kms a yr it could easily last 20yrs

but i digest…

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2013, 8:42 p.m.

Interior guys VS. coast guys

transition bikes

Feb. 1, 2013, 8:45 p.m.

at splittn cedar?

u guys are in trouble..

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:15 p.m.

Interior guys VS. coast guys

so? wtf does that have to do with anything? it doesn't mean squat in this circumstance.

don't get me wrong i think it's great when people are willing to share their experiences and give advice. like if the op had talked about buying a cordless reciprocating saw or battery opp'd chainsaw then the advice about getting something bigger would have been totally warranted.

but that's not the case here. the op was pretty clear in his intended use for the saw and he's not some fuckwit that just fell off of the back of the apple cart either. a point is being beat to fucking death here about getting a bigger, more expensive and supposedly better saw when it's totally clear that it isn't what the op wants OR needs.

edit - and by the way this insn't a rant at you specifically

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

at splittn cedar?

u guys are in trouble..

Ryan Berrecloth trucked out a heap of red cedar about 6 years ago to Penticton and build a pretty sick jump line.
The wood is gray and gross and doesn't look a thing like a red cedar plank you'd find in a rain forest on the shore.

You work with what you have given the type of forest you have to work with, I covered this already.

transition bikes

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:19 p.m.

We're 10 pages deep at this point, what are we talking about again?

transition bikes

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

We're 10 pages deep at this point, what are we talking about again?

Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

im just saying if it comes down to a cedar split showdown that splinky and the west coast shake cutters will let you know when its recess..

lol

Feb. 1, 2013, 10 p.m.

Insert milling the place of splitting and the tables would turn.8)

transition bikes

Feb. 1, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

ok ok..keg party!

Feb. 2, 2013, 7:26 a.m.

based on your logic of not using it all that much and not driving it too hard it should :)

exactly I tow a boler which is half the towing capacity of a ranger, I carry mostly just me and a pair of skis or a bike or a kayak, I don't use a lowly ranger to its rated capacity ever … it was well chosen for my app

whereas out in the bush you gotta cut whatever is there not just what you want to cut, since guys like to cut big trees and take take pictures there is more than one picture in this thread of a big fucking tree [HTML_REMOVED] buddy saying "see what I can cut with my saw this is all you need" yeah you cut it but for how long will it do that…time will tell ?

So we are comparing the usage patterns of a cheap truck which is always underutilised to a small low or lower quality saw that may be overutilised which is a very different usage pattern with a very different expectation, in any case the truck will cut it and like I said buy the small non-pro saw if you think its gona cut it

Feb. 2, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

Curious how many people bitching about less expensive saws not starting first pull, have fuel filters gummed up from mix sitting in the saw from its last use one month ago? Two months ago? Last Spring?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 2, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

I think we all agreed to disagree 5 pages ago and again on this page…

transition bikes