16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Dec. 31, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

Cutting tension wood scares the crap out of me. Are there online resources for proper use of saws in these type of situations?

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:23 p.m.

I was wondering if that mess would be a tough one. I was just saying to Jon today, that in situations like that it would likely be a good idea to have a second person around just incase things go wrong. I second Davem's post. There is a downed tree on OT that is pretty sprung, but thankfully only the top was blocking the trail and could be removed safely.

One thing that Ewan mentioned to me earlier in the year and I've yet to implement, is to carry a tension bandage when doing saw work. Something to stop the bleeding if things goes terrible wrong.

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

anybody recommend a good place for pricing when buying a saw?

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:29 p.m.

I was wondering if that mess would be a tough one. I was just saying to Jon today, that in situations like that it would likely be a good idea to have a second person around just incase things go wrong. I second Davem's post. There is a downed tree on OT that is pretty sprung, but thankfully only the top was blocking the trail and could be removed safely.

One thing that Ewan mentioned to me earlier in the year and I've yet to implement, is to carry a tension bandage when doing saw work. Something to stop the bleeding if things goes terrible wrong.

I was thinking about asking for some help, but this was last minute. Lower elevator has got a monster on it, but I don't think its under tension like those trees.

If anyone wants to go up in the next couple of days let me know.

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:46 p.m.

ya jon was saying about lower.

it pretty much is the case of last minute or running into the unexpected and you just happen to have saw with you.

DaveM and I could give you a hand tomorrow morning if you like?

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:53 p.m.

ya jon was saying about lower.

it pretty much is the case of last minute or running into the unexpected and you just happen to have saw with you.

DaveM and I could give you a hand tomorrow morning if you like?

That sounds good, I'm sure I could use some tips as well as help getting my ass out of the bush if need be. 10 at the gun club?
I got my saw at Surfwood. I think that they put the Stihls on sale now and then

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 31, 2012, 5:55 p.m.

Dave? 10 work for you?

Dec. 31, 2012, 6:01 p.m.

I'll be there

Dec. 31, 2012, 6:43 p.m.

I use wedges to prevent the bar from getting pinched…

Dec. 31, 2012, 6:58 p.m.

I think anyone who is operating a saw should take the BCIT course. Ive seen season vets make simple mistakes and playing around in the "bite" is no joke. I cant see very well in the picture, but releasing pressure in tension can be very dangerous but sometimes you have no choice. Be safe, clear your surroundings and take your time and examine what's exactly going on. Happy new year.

Cutting tension wood scares the crap out of me. Are there online resources for proper use of saws in these type of situations?

Dec. 31, 2012, 7:01 p.m.

I carry a tension bandage in my hard hat. (handy should it be needed.)
That pix by Syncros is a great tool for sharpening,i have two for the different sizes of chain I use.
When cutting leaners or those bastard under tension. Remember your life.
when in doubt should you want to go for it. Always cut compression first.
Just took a two day course for worksafeBC certification ,it really helped.
when cutting I always make sure I have my cutting pants on , helmut /faceshield/earprotection.
If this course taught me one thing it was be safe and watch what you are cutting.
I always carry wedge's, watch where my feet are,so I am not the author of my own doom.(I try not cut alone)

No matter what leaners ,and trees under pressure,sometimes the smart guy just leaves it alone and calls for the proffesionals to take it out.
On numerous occasions I have had those who have aquired a saw ask to come and help,but no safety gear ,no thanks.
I am far from perfect and after years of cutting ,have come to one conclusion.
Its very dangerous, I love it when I get to work with a pro, I am all ears .
I like my life,be safe.
g

FVMBA Website

Jan. 1, 2013, 12:39 a.m.

Chainsaw massacre tomorrow. Looks like Jon's coming too.

I always wear my steel toes, carharts, gloves and glasses but have to admit don't have chaps and a face shield/helmet.

Gary, did you pay for everything including your training out of your own pocket or is there an organization that can subsidize?

HAPPY NEW YEAR…………

Chainsmoker 8)

Jan. 1, 2013, 9:56 a.m.

The fvmba paid for my safety gear . Just this year I have bought four sets of helmut/faceshield/ear /cutting pants protection,
for builders who asked.
Last year I bought about the same .
In the beginning of fvmba , we even bought chainsaws for the chief builders in our area's.
I am the quartermaster , which means I buy supplies for our builders.
That means I have/and do buy bars,chains,files,oil and lots of wedge's.
Have just ordered a box of tensior bandages ,to give away to our builders.( the safety kits are really expensive,I felt the most important thing in them was the sterile tensior bandages)
We have a quartermaster thread on fvmba.com forum. This is where member/builders can ask for things.
As long as your a member , as membership dues is what pays for this .
Each area has a rep, ask your rep and he will contact me. If we have the money in our budget ,we will do our best to get it to you. DeanW is mapleridge rep.
At fvmba talk is nice,but I know getting supplies into the hands of our builders ,makes everyone happier.
We also give out shovels,picks,crazy expensive tools,and spiral galvanized spikes,in huge numbers.
This year alone, we have hosted a TAP seminar, in Abby a IMBA work crew.
At the moment we are currently looking to put on a chainsaw course. We have applied for grants,and also are looking at paying for the course ourselves if we can afford it.
The two day course I took ,gave me and one other fvmba builder "worksafeBC certification."
It was paid for by Moforestry at something like $600 a piece.
The more riders who are members,the more money from membership we can give out and keep upping the bar for our builders. Supporting those who support us.
We have a huge number of riders out there, if we do it right our membership numbers should reflect that.
g

FVMBA Website

Jan. 1, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

holy crap! i had no idea the fvmba was so organized..

Jan. 1, 2013, 3 p.m.

anybody recommend a good place for pricing when buying a saw?

you can get the prices off the internet to give you a baseline price and check the specs but I don't think the prices are gona vary a whole bunch but IMO the good dealer is more important than saving what will literaly be a few bucks cuz this isn't like buying a big screen TV … shit is gona break [HTML_REMOVED] need maintaining

I talked to the husky dealer in town for 3 min and I can tell they obviously know [HTML_REMOVED] SFA but 15kms away in the next town the husky guy really knows his stuff so he will get my business, the local sthil guy is also good but I decided on husky

I guess my point was that Husky makes everything, the low end stuff as well as the pro stuff

Husky also makes really nice guns