16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:06 p.m.

so when is a pro saw necessary, if you are REALLY REALLY only EVER going to cut the odd skinny tree for a bike trail but then why not just use a bow saw?

I think my point was if you always buy cheap saws are they still cheap after you are buying your 2nd or 3rd cheap saw and how many people are buying [HTML_REMOVED]1 saw?

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

do you want a saw you can stash in the woods for weeks on end? do you cut blowdown only and maybe 10-15 hrs year? are you not sure how much cutting you will be doing and it's your first saw? no need to go pro.

do you love chainsawing, actually get out cutting a shit ton, and enjoy running the best … pro for sure

yadda yadda yadda ad naseum and we can rinse and repeat this all next year

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:23 p.m.

Maybe if you aren't sure you DO need the better saw in case your use changes, you won't know till down the road?

I actualy have zero practical use for any saw let alone a pro but I cut ski runs and I enjoy running the best

agreed this thread will be back to shit saw love by next fall … whatever

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:28 p.m.

Maybe if you aren't sure you DO need the better saw in case your use changes, you won't know till down the road?

then you keep the homeowner saw as a backup, as a loaner to give out, leave it in your truck when driving FSRs, or leave it up on the mountain for months with no concern if where you're working is a stiff enough hike. not a bad thing to have more than one saw in my books.

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

so when is a pro saw necessary, if you are REALLY REALLY only EVER going to cut the odd skinny tree for a bike trail but then why not just use a bow saw?

because the chainsaw is faster.
edit - i'd say the pro saw is necessary if you're using it to make a living and/or running it for multiple hours every day, say 15hrs a week or more.

I think my point was if you always buy cheap saws are they still cheap after you are buying your 2nd or 3rd cheap saw and how many people are buying [HTML_REMOVED]1 saw?

i guess it depends on how you're defining cheap. personally i know i got a lot of use out of my poulan and still have it but rarely use it anymore unless i want to stash a saw on the mtn for a little bit. for me i'd consider the poulan a mid grade saw, but not as good as the major brands homeower type saw. if you look after that saw properly it will last a long, long time. probably even a lifetime with anything up to 25hrs of running time/per year - which is actually a fair bit of cutting time.

it's not that i completely disagree with you here, i just think you're taking the cheap vs pro saw comparison to an extreme that really doesn't apply for the avg occasional user.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

oh no, not this again..cmon we were havn a good talk here…

Dec. 11, 2013, 10 p.m.

oh no, not this again..cmon we were havn a good talk here…

yeah, cause like we're all pro n'shit. :D

it's not thaaaat bad, i think there's some good questions being raised and answered.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 11, 2013, 10:34 p.m.

Upgraded to a 362 from a 170 a couple months ago. I probably don't really need a pro saw. And I definitely didn't need to buy the 362 instead of the 261. But I did. And it's friggin awesome! :rocker:

Dec. 11, 2013, 10:39 p.m.

I've been snowshoeing in and doing a bit of this lately. Cut's like butter.

Dec. 11, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

yeah, cause like we're all pro n'shit. :D

it's not thaaaat bad, i think there's some good questions being raised and answered.

thats it, everybody is getting 6 pm's!!!

Dec. 12, 2013, 12:35 a.m.

Ima muffler mod my poulan, maybe get some badass pinstrping on there too. Pro.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 12, 2013, 7:32 a.m.

Bro.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 12, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

One thing to consider when buying a saw is the availability of service and parts support if you need it. Around the LML Stihl is probably the best supported then Husky. It might be hard to find parts for the other brands depending on the model and age. Also the service shops dont like working on Canadian Tire bought saws and the bill will show it…

Nothing more frustrating than packing your saw up a few KM only to pull your guts out trying to start it. At that point the only solution is the hammer throw by the pull cord into the trees.

Dec. 12, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

Upgraded to a 362 from a 170 a couple months ago. I probably don't really need a pro saw. And I definitely didn't need to buy the 362 instead of the 261. But I did. And it's friggin awesome! :rocker:

yup when you pull the trigger pro saw goes WAAAAAH!!

pull the trigger on the cheap saw it goes uuuuuuh?

also you can get heated grips starting on the 361 my buddy the old aviy teck got frost bite too many times loves them

This thread is kind of like trying to explain to your parents who bought the really nice mtnbikes at costco why you paid 10x mo money for the santa cruz

Dec. 12, 2013, 2:30 p.m.

This thread is kind of like trying to explain to your parents who bought the really nice mtnbikes at costco why you paid 10x mo money for the santa cruz

if all they use the bikes for is riding mild gravel paths they're not gonna see the value in a product that is 3-4 times or more expensive.

Ellen Langer