Winter 2010 Downed Trees thread

Nov. 25, 2010, 9:11 a.m.

Crinkum crankum is clear of the mentioned fallen trees(there were 2 of them)
Posted via Mobile Device

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 26, 2010, 8:53 a.m.

you guys are the best.

Dec. 9, 2010, 12:52 p.m.

Since you asked…hiked some of the lower trails on Fromme last night. There are a few trees down on the Griffin switchbacks. Or it may have been 1 tree that blocked the trail in a few spots. Sorry, we couldn't move em!

"I'm not an ambi-turner. I can't turn left."

Dec. 9, 2010, 2:22 p.m.

one on bridle path heading west just past baden powell I think.

I think it can be moved by hand. We were hammering today so couldn't stop…

i can prolly get that on Saturday if I remember

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 9, 2010, 8:28 p.m.

There's a tree down on the Baden Powell on Fromme after the hiking and biking parts of the trail split, on the part labelled as "new bike route" just before you hit Mountain Highway. Not that big, but still attached to the ground and not going anywhere for me without tools tonight.

Dec. 10, 2010, 3:11 p.m.

Since you asked…hiked some of the lower trails on Fromme last night. There are a few trees down on the Griffin switchbacks. Or it may have been 1 tree that blocked the trail in a few spots. Sorry, we couldn't move em!

Yeah, it seems to be one thick tree across the trail in 2 places with lots of branches.
It's probably 8 or 10 inches thick, might need bigger than a pruning saw. I'll give it a go if I get out again tomorrow.

Dec. 10, 2010, 3:12 p.m.

There's a tree down on the Baden Powell on Fromme after the hiking and biking parts of the trail split, on the part labelled as "new bike route" just before you hit Mountain Highway. Not that big, but still attached to the ground and not going anywhere for me without tools tonight.

This one is resting on top of those wires, too.

Dec. 10, 2010, 4:45 p.m.

Hand sawable tree across Old Buck about half way up… I didn't have saw today.

flickr

Dec. 10, 2010, 6:16 p.m.

There are some trees across the Chadsey lake trail (lowest ,where it exits out onto lower Sumas road) today went in a took a couple big trees out with a new friend on Chadsey and some more out of TimeKiller.
Lower Chadsey is in poor shape as we look to redo this section with the approval of TrailsBC,who have agreed to partner up with fvmba, to get it done.
A new section is planned to hook up with lower Chadsey (Centennial Trail).
This is what we love to see hikers /bikers getting along and with limited resources banding together for each of our beneifit.
With all the problems of our TimeOut exit (developer $$$$,fence's blocking exit) we look to making more options.
MIdweek Chadsey work this winter interested? pm me
G

FVMBA Website

Dec. 11, 2010, 9:55 a.m.

Tree down on Kirkford, about halfway down. Trail runs alongside a big old log, a couple of little drops, and then the tree.

I've been carrying the "pocket chainsaw". It's the saw in a can. Works well for little trees, 8" or less. This tree is 12" plus, needs a bigger saw.

I've always wanted to ask, is there any etiquette with clearing deadfall? Where you cut the fall, leave the drebris or anything like that?

Good question to ask. Most people take the lazy route and cut the tree at the edge of the trail. Make sure you take your cut back at least a foot..

I know of one person up in Nelson who almost lost his life due to a lazy cut. Unpredictable things happen when riding, and having an unmovable pole lining the trail is just begging for Darwin to pay you a visit.

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:15 a.m.

Good question to ask. Most people take the lazy route and cut the tree at the edge of the trail. Make sure you take your cut back at least a foot..

I know of one person up in Nelson who almost lost his life due to a lazy cut. Unpredictable things happen when riding, and having an unmovable pole lining the trail is just begging for Darwin to pay you a visit.

Well said.

I am another one that thinks trees should be trimmed well back from trails.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:36 a.m.

Depends on the situation IMO. Trees off the ground, definitely trim well back. Large trees on the ground can be cut just wide enough to pass through if it's a slow section of trail. Otherwise, trim well back, or build a booter or A-frame over it.

Though an A-frame is not likely a good choice for a really fast section. Maybe a launch with optional roll-down, or just a launch if it's a black diamond trail.

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:45 a.m.

If the tree was not right beside a trail before it fell, then you shouldn't trim it back leaving it close to the trail.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:14 a.m.

Tree's cut out with the butt end looking at you can be most dangerous.
Like branch's cut off a couple of inchs from the tree,can be very dangerous.
The son almost had his hand ripped badly(he still had to get down and to the hospital)
Common sense should rule the day.
g

FVMBA Website

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:44 a.m.

If the tree was not right beside a trail before it fell, then you shouldn't trim it back leaving it close to the trail.

Care to explain the logic behind that statement?

Common sense should rule the day.

Common sense isn't all that common ;)