Vedder Washout

Jan. 21, 2009, 1:10 p.m.

I rode again this morning and to my surprise Emil Anderson had machines up past the first "Y" repairing the culvert and it appeared that they were heading up past the second "Y". It appears that they may be prepping to repair the mighty hole despite the decommisioned status of this roadway.

If there are still culverts in the road then it has not been "decommisioned ". As you can see by the current washout situation, culverts are a major liability, and if there are culverts in a road then someone is still on the hook for maintenance and repair.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 21, 2009, 9:51 p.m.

If there are still culverts in the road then it has not been "decommisioned ". As you can see by the current washout situation, culverts are a major liability, and if there are culverts in a road then someone is still on the hook for maintenance and repair.

I don't disagree with you at all Tom. The terms are MOF's not mine (though I think De-Activated is what they prefer to use these days). VMTA's take on this is that while the public can still access the area in any way (even on foot) and there is an injury potential stemming from the roadway, MOF and BCGov has legal liability exposure. We like to use this to motivate them to act and in this case it seems that it may have been helpful.

Regardless, a little washout isn't going to keep me at home.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:36 p.m.

The terms are MOF's not mine (though I think De-Activated is what they prefer to use these days).

yup, deactivated is the preferred term. If there are still culverts in the road, with waterbars and failsafes added to protect the surfacing and manage extreme flows, then it is a temporarily deactivated road. If no waterbars or failsafes were present, the road is not considered deactivated, and is an active road.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 21, 2009, 11:49 p.m.

So I learned today that MoF has new standard regarding road maintenance and repair and that is the "4x4 access standard" , ie; fix up the road just enough for a 4x4 truck to get over it or as I look at it, do it as cheap as possible.
Anyways, if anyone plans on shuttling vedder anytime in the near future, you better have a vehicle with 4wd and lots of ground clearance or you're SOL

A rat is just a squirrel with street cred

Jan. 22, 2009, 10:13 a.m.

So I learned today that MoF has new standard regarding road maintenance and repair and that is the "4x4 access standard" , ie; fix up the road just enough for a 4x4 truck to get over it or as I look at it, do it as cheap as possible.
Anyways, if anyone plans on shuttling vedder anytime in the near future, you better have a vehicle with 4wd and lots of ground clearance or you're SOL

Uh, so it will be the same as its been for the past few years then.

Thanks!

Jan. 22, 2009, 12:56 p.m.

I was up riding on Saturday and

Regardless, the ride up was awesome and more that 50% of the snow that was present on Saturday is now gone and I was able to ride about 95% the way up to Skidder. Rode down TurdFerg to Ditch Chicken. Turdferg is so ridiculously awesome and in summertime riding shape. Ditch Chicken has a biggish Maple down after the second bridge but the rest was superb. Gerald has been a busy beaver putting in a new line to replace the decrapitated Mango Mango and it looks pretty ambitious. Femur was the same as ever.

i have never heard of these trails, Ditch Chicken, Turdferg, huuuh??

WTF, Over?

Jan. 22, 2009, 3:39 p.m.

Baloom's been at the cat medicine again.

Jan. 22, 2009, 6:13 p.m.

they're secret trails:shhh:

A rat is just a squirrel with street cred

Jan. 22, 2009, 10:36 p.m.

i wonder how big of a dent that bump in the road would put in a Socom?

Jan. 22, 2009, 11:06 p.m.

:lol:

Jan. 23, 2009, 8:23 a.m.

lol!

Jan. 24, 2009, 7:09 p.m.

The road is now fixed!

GO HUCK YOUR SELF!

Jan. 27, 2009, 12:17 p.m.

Baloom's been at the cat medicine again.

I am regularly into the cat medicine. It's what gives me an edge, though it causes me to be unduly interested in licking myself.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Jan. 27, 2009, 12:20 p.m.

don't you mean 2 Socoms??

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 27, 2009, 12:27 p.m.

don't you mean 2 Socoms??

And a Reign X.