Tri-cities 2015

Oct. 27, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

I just wanted to correct a few miss truths that are floating out there regarding the map:

1) BC Parks never requested me to omit the Burke Mountain bike trails. In fact, BC parks are currently using my maps as they are the most definitive trail resource for the area. I am also working with them on trail maintenance issues.
2) It’s true that no proceeds go to TORCA, but $2 from each map sale does go to Coquitlam SAR (which I am a member of). So far over $1,600 has been raised for the team which is great.
3) The comment “he gives nothing toward the trails” is completely untrue. I am a member of Pinecone Burke Stewards, a group formed in conjunction with BC Parks to maintain the other trails on Burke. Also, with Coquitlam SAR I am heading up a project to better mark all the trails around the Tri-Cities: http://www.tricitynews.com/news/coquitlam-sar-trail-markers-to-boost-safety-1.2034302 . I also lead guided hikes and write a weekly column in the Tri-Cities News encouraging people to get out and explore our trails.

The map is a great resource for anyone exploring the trails in the Tri-Cities and has had a very positive reception in the local community. To be clear, this is not just a mountain bike map, it is a recreation map that includes all of the Tri-Cities trails, of which the mountain bike trails are a small subset. From a public safety perspective, I don’t believe that any trails should be deliberately omitted from a navigation grade map.

This post was sent to the mod queue due to low post count and included link. I've approved it now.

Oct. 27, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

I just wanted to correct a few miss truths that are floating out there regarding the map:

1) BC Parks never requested me to omit the Burke Mountain bike trails. In fact, BC parks are currently using my maps as they are the most definitive trail resource for the area. I am also working with them on trail maintenance issues.
2) It’s true that no proceeds go to TORCA, but $2 from each map sale does go to Coquitlam SAR (which I am a member of). So far over $1,600 has been raised for the team which is great.
3) The comment “he gives nothing toward the trails” is completely untrue. I am a member of Pinecone Burke Stewards, a group formed in conjunction with BC Parks to maintain the other trails on Burke. Also, with Coquitlam SAR I am heading up a project to better mark all the trails around the Tri-Cities: http://www.tricitynews.com/news/coquitlam-sar-trail-markers-to-boost-safety-1.2034302 . I also lead guided hikes and write a weekly column in the Tri-Cities News encouraging people to get out and explore our trails.

The map is a great resource for anyone exploring the trails in the Tri-Cities and has had a very positive reception in the local community. To be clear, this is not just a mountain bike map, it is a recreation map that includes all of the Tri-Cities trails, of which the mountain bike trails are a small subset. From a public safety perspective, I don’t believe that any trails should be deliberately omitted from a navigation grade map.

You were asked, respectfully by TORCA and locals who maintain the trails to omit those maps. You put those trails in. Your action seems disrespectful of the builders and maintainers of the trails.

I'll leave it to others to address what you said about BC Parks but my experience shows that your remark in point 1 is dubious. The bike trails in BC Parks are unsanctioned and BC Parks has previously asked for the trails to not be in any maps. That BC Parks would say one thing to you and another thing to the local bikers and the local bike association is dubious. If I am wrong in this please confirm. I'll check into this matter with the Area Supervisor of Parks myself and update the thread so please understand that I'll verify your contention

Oct. 27, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

Thanks Lee

Oct. 27, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

Hmm I don't see any of the hidden trails when I try that on Trailforks.com but I do see a bunch on Google Maps. Is there a sign at the trailhead showing the network? I thought the trail association would sell a map to raise funds, or maybe it's a land manager issue.

We ended up going to Eagle yesterday and did Full Pull to Juan Valdez. I understand why people say Full Pull is a once or twice a season type ride because it is definitely a bitch to get up there. Next time I think we will try pushing up some of the bike trails, might be more comfortable than walking on rocks forever. The trail itself was in amazing condition, nice and soft top to bottom with no mud/water anywhere, we had an absolute blast on it, fun to ride some fall line stuff with dirt/loam on it for a change.

Click on say…Hustler trail…It shows on the map right?
drag the curser on the map to show, garbage, elevator, etc.
Maybe I am just special?

800 maps sold in just a few months, $16,000 and not a penny for the trails sucks

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 27, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

Also it should be mentioned that he received a pretty big grant to produce the map.

Sadly even when asked, he refuses to be a member of Torca which costs $20

Oct. 27, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

Also should be mentioned a certain map maker asked earlier if they could produce the map and was asked not to, which they gladly and respectfully complied.

So while someone refuses to help the trails gets to make and sell maps and the other map maker that would be helping the trails via support of the local mtb trail association is not making any…..irony?

Oct. 27, 2015, 8:37 p.m.

What a dick head

Oct. 27, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

The Burke trails have always been hidden on Trailforks. But this summer TORCA made some of the lower trails inside the "Northwest Burke Vision Area" public as they won't be around long-term, as development continues.

http://www.trailforks.com/region/burke-mountain/map/
Click the "overlay" checkbox under the map to view the land owner boundaries.

"burke ryder" you probably see all the trails on the map, like Sandinista, because you are one of the users with special permissions to view the hidden trails for that region. Others cannot.

While its nice if a percentage of profit from map products like the one mentioned in this thread could goto the local trail association, its often on a small percentage. If you enjoy riding the area its much better to donate directly to the trail association, that way they get 100%.

$722 CAD has been donated to TORCA through Trailforks so far this year
http://www.trailforks.com/region/burke-mountain/karma/

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Oct. 27, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

The Burke trails have always been hidden on Trailforks. But this summer TORCA made some of the lower trails inside the "Northwest Burke Vision Area" public as they won't be around long-term, as development continues.

http://www.trailforks.com/region/burke-mountain/map/
Click the "overlay" checkbox under the map to view the land owner boundaries.

"burke ryder" you probably see all the trails on the map, like Sandinista, because you are one of the users with special permissions to view the hidden trails for that region. Others cannot.

While its nice if a percentage of profit from map products like the one mentioned in this thread could goto the local trail association, its often on a small percentage. If you enjoy riding the area its much better to donate directly to the trail association, that way they get 100%.

$722 CAD has been donated to TORCA through Trailforks so far this year
http://www.trailforks.com/region/burke-mountain/karma/

I had no idea I was seeing anything different from anyone else.
My intention was to give the poster an alternative than to pad the pockets of the map maker.

Grambo, it is a long way up to the pull, but worth it. The easiest way is, IMBY, phisio, upper phisio to the hairpin on lungbuster. Usually about 75 minutes to the top for me.

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 2, 2015, 10:15 a.m.

anyone missing a Cannondale vest? It is hanging on a tree on triple T. It was getting a forest bath yesterday, should be dry later today.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 12, 2015, 5:33 a.m.

A electric trials motorcycle was riding on some burke mtb trails yesterday.
I had a talk with him while he was loading.
Hopefully he wont be back.

Chainsmoker 8)