Tri-cities 2015

Aug. 10, 2015, 12:08 p.m.

Isn't IMBY great? Damn challenging and swear inducing tho. For me, anyway.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 11, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

Isn't IMBY great? Damn challenging and swear inducing tho. For me, anyway.

Haha there was definitely swearing and a bunch of on/off the bike for both of us on IMBY and Physio. Great climb trails though, I was just a tad too hungover (and have a 180mm fork on my "XC" bike). Was cool and gripy in the forest for sure.

Aug. 11, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

I am going to try it again soon but with clipless pedals. Curious to see if it reduces my dabs, dismounts and overall despair. ;)

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 17, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

I thought IMBY would be easier to ride if I warmed up by riding from my house in Moody Centre (It wasn't) however I wasn't discouraged and continued to ride/push/carry/push/ride all the way to massage therapy and found everything in good shape (except my skills) when I got there. Usual confusion on the way down meant short excursions onto woodburner and three little pigs for further skills erosion - dignity was not recovered until Starz. Excellent trailwork out there made all the better by some rain.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

Anyone seen what sort of damage resulted from the storm? I was riding in the Eagle Buntzen area when it started hitting and it was bloody scary..

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

Yeah, the TORCA Facebook page has some info… look for the David Hasselhoff picture. Haha. Tons of blow down all over. A lot of Eagle and Burke cleaned up, but big messes on Burnaby included Mel's, Gear Jammer, Dead Moped and more. Not sure what got cleaned up since then, but according to the BMBA page they were advising the city about the big trees. Area is mostly rideable, but you'll have to carry your bike in random spots.

Sept. 12, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

burke was running great today!

we found an almost new camelbak podium waterbottle on slayer (i think?) - if it's yours, get in touch to get it back

(but i kinda hope you don't because it matches my bike really well ;))

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 22, 2015, 4:27 p.m.

I see that trails for Burke aren't shown on Trailforks. Can one purchase a map from TORCA or local bike shops? Or is there good signage up there?

Buddy and I are debating between checking out Burke for the first time or going and doing Full Pull on Eagle this weekend. Or maybe Massage Therapy/Eastbound/Hammertime and tacking something on after.

Oct. 22, 2015, 5:21 p.m.

http://www.tricitiesmap.com/

Most burke trails are on this map and eagle/ buntzen.

Oct. 23, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

Check out Strava.

:canada:

Oct. 23, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

Don't buy the map, he gives nothing toward the trails.
There all on trailforks, just click on one of the trails that is shown on the map and move the map to see them.
Google maps are not totally accurate but they are there too

Chainsmoker 8)

Oct. 26, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

Don't buy the map, he gives nothing toward the trails.
There all on trailforks, just click on one of the trails that is shown on the map and move the map to see them.
Google maps are not totally accurate but they are there too

Hmm I don't see any of the hidden trails when I try that on Trailforks.com but I do see a bunch on Google Maps. Is there a sign at the trailhead showing the network? I thought the trail association would sell a map to raise funds, or maybe it's a land manager issue.

We ended up going to Eagle yesterday and did Full Pull to Juan Valdez. I understand why people say Full Pull is a once or twice a season type ride because it is definitely a bitch to get up there. Next time I think we will try pushing up some of the bike trails, might be more comfortable than walking on rocks forever. The trail itself was in amazing condition, nice and soft top to bottom with no mud/water anywhere, we had an absolute blast on it, fun to ride some fall line stuff with dirt/loam on it for a change.

Oct. 26, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

BC Parks has requested that TORCA does not provide maps or signage for Burke Mountain at this point in time. They are working on the draft management plan for the park and are working with TORCA to bring mtb trails into the plan. Until we can legitimize trails or have permission otherwise from BC Parks, they will remain off Trail Forks etc.

Also, Steve Chapman was told by BC Parks to not include bike trails on his map until the management plan was done. He disregarded their request and has done nothing to support TORCA's efforts. Buying a map from him is not helping the local builders or association.

If you show up on a weekend, I'm sure someone would be more than happy to show you around. The trail network is pretty easy to navigate.

Oct. 27, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

I just wanted to correct a few miss truths that are floating out there regarding the map:

1) BC Parks never requested me to omit the Burke Mountain bike trails. In fact, BC parks are currently using my maps as they are the most definitive trail resource for the area. I am also working with them on trail maintenance issues.
2) It’s true that no proceeds go to TORCA, but $2 from each map sale does go to Coquitlam SAR (which I am a member of). So far over $1,600 has been raised for the team which is great.
3) The comment “he gives nothing toward the trails” is completely untrue. I am a member of Pinecone Burke Stewards, a group formed in conjunction with BC Parks to maintain the other trails on Burke. Also, with Coquitlam SAR I am heading up a project to better mark all the trails around the Tri-Cities: http://www.tricitynews.com/news/coquitlam-sar-trail-markers-to-boost-safety-1.2034302 . I also lead guided hikes and write a weekly column in the Tri-Cities News encouraging people to get out and explore our trails.

The map is a great resource for anyone exploring the trails in the Tri-Cities and has had a very positive reception in the local community. To be clear, this is not just a mountain bike map, it is a recreation map that includes all of the Tri-Cities trails, of which the mountain bike trails are a small subset. From a public safety perspective, I don’t believe that any trails should be deliberately omitted from a navigation grade map.

Oct. 27, 2015, 11:03 a.m.

BC Parks has requested that TORCA does not provide maps or signage for Burke Mountain at this point in time. They are working on the draft management plan for the park and are working with TORCA to bring mtb trails into the plan. Until we can legitimize trails or have permission otherwise from BC Parks, they will remain off Trail Forks etc.

Also, Steve Chapman was told by BC Parks to not include bike trails on his map until the management plan was done. He disregarded their request and has done nothing to support TORCA's efforts. Buying a map from him is not helping the local builders or association.

If you show up on a weekend, I'm sure someone would be more than happy to show you around. The trail network is pretty easy to navigate.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I see this explanation is also on Trailforks for Burke, I just missed it the first time I looked. Hope things go well with the negotiations and it sucks this guy selling his maps isn't playing ball, I won't be supporting him.