Tri-Cities 2014 Trail Conditions (PoMo, Coq, PoCo) (Merged)

Aug. 3, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

Hey Burke Riders - Had an AMAZING ride yesterday, but would like some guidance on what we actually rode - Send me an IM if you can help, and I'll send you the Google Tracks data for review…would love to know the trail we rode.

Aug. 5, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

Where is North Starz? Is it near Starz?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 5, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

go to trail day and find out.

Aug. 5, 2014, 12:53 p.m.

Well it was on June 1 so unless you've got a time machine you can lend me I'm S.O.L. :)

Unless it's near this new "climbing trail" I keep reading about. But seriously…is it in that Bert Flinn park place? I get out to that neck of the woods sometimes and really like riding Buntzen, the Eagle Mountain area, Backyard trails, Starz etc. Maybe I've been riding North Starz all along and didn't know it.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 5, 2014, 4:25 p.m.

Yes its bert flynn, torca/trailforks has a map

Aug. 10, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

Who would I talk to about helping maintain trails on Burke?

PM me.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Aug. 10, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

Are you looking at helping with a maintained trail?

I was going to post on the TORCA forum about the CRC (Coquitlam River Connecter) but since I'm here.

I used to maintain this trail years ago as well as the river trail, others have as well.

With the inevitable loss of all the lower gun club trails to development as well as BD, CRC will be the only line down to the river and will see more use. I was last down it a couple years ago, the river trail between CRC and Crystal falls was badly overgrown and CRC was in rough shape. It was in need of work as well as few short reroutes.

I took a look at the entrance a couple days back, it was badly overgrown. This may be an opportunity for someone looking to do some trail work. My plate is pretty full but could offer some help. Maybe it is being maintained, I would be shocked! I'm going to take a look tomorrow.

For anyone who may not know, CRC is off the woodland walk trail (road). It starts behind the last tower before the powerlines drop down into the valley. It comes out at the Coquitlam river. Several trails, including one I have started working on, link up to it for an epic 2000+' Burke decent.

Chainsmoker 8)

Aug. 10, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

Got chased by a big white/brown pitbull/mastif in the BYTs. No owner in sight, watch out.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 11, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

With the inevitable loss of all the lower gun club trails to development as well as BD, CRC will be the only line down to the river and will see more use.

What's happening with BD? Certainly there won't be housing unless they shut down the gun club?

:canada:

Aug. 11, 2014, 11:36 a.m.

What's happening with BD? Certainly there won't be housing unless they shut down the gun club?

They are going to push in at the top of Oxford st and go north and right down to the river. Taking another look at the map the trail is very close to the developers land, so is tough to say. Some of the trail may be in the "potential future neighborhood development plans" Hopefully when that's all done they will leave us the Coquitlam river trail =/ If not, we would probably have lots of community support to try and save that trail.

Here is a link to some maps http://www.coquitlam.ca/planning-and-development/community-plans/northeast.aspx

On another note they started putting in a gate at the hairpin skidder road today. Culverts, then a road, then houses on the south side of the road which will be called Harper. One of the workers said we have 2 to 3 years for the trails on the north side of the hairpin. He said his info is accurate.

Chainsmoker 8)

Aug. 11, 2014, 12:30 p.m.

Checked out CRC today.
It is not in bad shape, despite looking like it hasent seen much maintenance.
Overgrown entrance, one tree down, lots of face slappers. The trail would really benefit from some reroutes with several sections just being creek beds in the rain. If anyone has access to an industrial brush cutter (weed whacker), the bottom of the trail and most of the river trail to the falls would benefit. Its all ridable, its just slower.
These trails could use some work. Any takers? I may have some time this winter.

Thought it might be a good idea to grab the Wyoming saw out of the moto pack today.
It has seen lots of use this year hiking, biking and moto. Took out a mandatory dismount tree after some low hanging branch's on the river trail. It takes about 30 seconds to assemble.

Chainsmoker 8)

Aug. 14, 2014, 9:07 a.m.

Are you looking at helping with a maintained trail?

I sent you a PM.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Aug. 25, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

Hey folks. Anyone know any good xc-ish routes around Eagle Mtn? I'm on a chromag hardtail (which is quite capable) but I'm not nearly as capable as the bike. So far I've found climbing up along the powerline trail and then down Upper Eagle to Lower Eagle to Academy and that's a lot of fun (not too over my head) and a good work out. Any other routes up there that would be good as well? I have to ask because on trailforks Eagle is considered green and if that's green then I know Black diamonds are not going to work for me (yet.) Any other good pedally rides up there for a rugged hardtail (ridden by a hack?)

Thanks!
taco

Aug. 25, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

Have you ridden in Bert Flinn Park? It's a good starting point. Although there is not a ton of land there, you can link up the trails into multiple loops. There is North Starz, 3 lines of Starz, Stinger, Lower Backyard Trail and a few others. Basically, just go explore. At the worst, you'll come out in a development and can then just ride back up the road.

Aug. 25, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Got chased by a big white/brown pitbull/mastif in the BYTs. No owner in sight, watch out.

We saw the same dog last week… think it was Thursday. Looked menacing, so we just booted it by, plus we had a dog with us and didn't want any issues.

BTW, think we saw you pullin' the baby, as we were spinning home from the ride down near Rocky Point. We gave each other the "I'm too cool to actually be trying to see what kind of bike you're riding snob look" as we passed (we were on the road). Nice baby-pulling rig.