Tri-Cities 2014 Trail Conditions (PoMo, Coq, PoCo) (Merged)

Feb. 3, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

We skied Saturday, but the sun was out (still) and the snow was getting old. Fortunately the girl had a soccer tournament on Sunday and I took the opportunity to take the boy for a longer ride, which he hammered out without complaint, including probably 5km of climbing over the loop. Even with ice on roots and snow at the top, he has such a relaxed style, that he was less fazed than me.

At about the halfway mark, still grinding… I loathe the day he passes me…

Rewarding views near the top out over the Fraser Valley:

Last pitch as we hit snowline:

He snapped a shot of me heading into the trail:

Leaving the snowline behind… he's going so fast I actually saw snow MELT under his tires:

Well out of snow and ice danger, time to pinn'r:

Braaaaaap!

Popping stuff like it's candy:

We opted for another short climb (1km) up to a sort of XC'ish trail to finish… but wound up chasing the fading light:

Then climbed back up to the truck. Good times with the boy…. looking forward to the summer.

Feb. 4, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

Nice one.

Feb. 4, 2014, 8:59 p.m.

Awesome shots of an awesome kid! I loved "saw snow melt under his tires"

Feb. 16, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Burke was awesome today. No standing water or mud on any trails that we rode (below the power lines). A little dusting of snow at the trailhead of Six which made for some slick roots but great conditions once you passed the snow line.

Shed head!

Feb. 18, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

I was up at Burke yesterday. There was quite a bit of snow on the road by the entrance to Six, and a bit on the top half of that trail. Lower down was running great.

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

did you take your boy down six when you get up there? Man, good for him. My boy does a lot of complaining just up to Braap.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Feb. 20, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

did you take your boy down six when you get up there? Man, good for him. My boy does a lot of complaining just up to Braap.

He loves it all and doesn't complain about the climb (fortunately) as he knows what it earns him. He gets bored of short Burke lower mountain laps pretty quickly. He's already asking to hit Sandinista when the snow is gone. On our last climb up to Slayer, he said to me "hey, I guess we're doing Enduro riding". Whatever works!

I guess it's sort of ingrained, as he's been hiking his bike up Burnaby Mtn for a couple years as they haven't shuttled that once they were older than 6 - it's Burnaby for goodness sake and the trail up is crushed gravel. I also find the kids ride more aware and safely when they are warm from the climb. They hit the descent with their bike balance ready and muscles warm. I think this holds true to adults too.

That all said, we do ride Park as well, so we're not puritan's. And last summer we did some huge shuttles in Oakride and Downieville that would simply not have been possible for them (or us) without the shuttle. (Alpine Trail, Downieville Classic, etc).

Feb. 27, 2014, 10:44 a.m.

Has anyone been up since last weekend's snows?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 27, 2014, 10:48 a.m.

I'm only hypothesising here, but soccer pitches at Heritage Woods are still closed due to snow cover. This is BELOW the elevation of Randy's on Eagle, so I'd be pretty doubtful. Guessing Bert Flynn trails would be good to go for multi-lap sessions. Lower Burke trails likely rideable as well, but anything above Lower Franks would be doubtful???

Feb. 27, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

I was at Bert Flynn 2 days ago and other than the main walking trail that goes right down the middle, everything was too slippery to ride. The main walking trail was good because it was so packed down. Everything else is very slippery/slushy to ride.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Feb. 28, 2014, 5:47 p.m.

Did a quick ride on Burke this morning.

Only rode up to Overtime. At that elevation the forest floor and trail was 50% snow and pretty mucky.

Lower trails were in better shape with much less snow, but wet conditions all around.

The climb has been cleared well by the construction crews. They're hauling machinery up the hill and the surface has been a little chewed up in some places.

March 1, 2014, 1:24 a.m.

Also rode some of the lower trails this afternoon, and must
Admit they were in better condition than expected. Due to the construction behicles Conifer DR actually had more snow than the
Main yellow gat road up to the second spur branch.
Honkey, i didnt know there is an upper Franks??

April 14, 2014, 10:05 a.m.

It's that time of year when snow bumps against dirt and both are equally appealing. What to do? Fortunately both can be in order.

Late afternoon rip with Mrs. WH on Eagle. Great conditions on Physio, Eastbound, and Hammertime. So good in fact, that we did two laps. Finished on Randy's. Drops are in good order.

After a winter on the 29r, fun to get back on the 26" wheeled all mountain ride with the new 30t NarrowWide ring up front - brilliant! Not a single dropped chain without a clutch rear derailleur:

Mrs. WH rediscovering the spring wood:

Mmmmm… looooam:

Classic West Coast:

April 30, 2014, 12:52 p.m.

Hey all,
Long time Burke Rider, never ridden Eagle Ridge - Would love to give it a go this Saturday AM.
Any tips/hints on parking/riding loops etc… would be great.
Group will be on all mtn's, not XC…

thanks
-Phil

April 30, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

First of all, Enduro bikes are better than All Mtn bikes for Eagle. Now that this critical point is out of the way…

There are not any good current maps for Eagle with all trails. This old thread on Blue Mountain Moto has some of the older maps with still relevant trails: http://www.bluemountainmotorcycleclub.com/forum/forum/main-section/lets-ride/4898-eagle

If you become involved with www.torca.ca you can participate in trail days and get to know the folks, read the forum, and find out more info on current trail status on Eagle.

It's an area well worth exploring!