SSC 2015 trail conditions

June 30, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

I'll chalk my inability to discover that section of Trailforks to "duhhhhhhhh me"…. I was looking I the 'Routes' section and didn't even think to check the 'Ridelogs' section. Appreciate the links and details!

June 30, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

I'll chalk my inability to discover that section of Trailforks to "duhhhhhhhh me"…. I was looking I the 'Routes' section and didn't even think to check the 'Ridelogs' section. Appreciate the links and details!

The "Routes" section is still pretty new and for most areas locals haven't added recommended routes, its mostly being used by race courses atm. In the future I might try auto-generating some routes based on the most popular ridelog data.

I find the ridelogs tab on trail pages super useful when I wanna go checkout a new trail in an area I don't know.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

July 3, 2015, 11:07 a.m.

Due to the forest fire West of Sechelt, it is likely some of those trails are now closed. They are asking the public to stay out of the area.

Story posted about 1/2 hour ago:
http://www.coastreporter.net/news/local-news/forest-fire-grows-near-sechelt-1.1988902

Story from last night:
http://www.theprovince.com/Wildfires+spring+near+Nanaimo+Sechelt+amid+blistering+heat+wave/11186003/story.html

Marg Drysdale of the B.C. Wildfire Service says a blaze about 10 kilometres northeast of Sechelt has grown to eight hectares.

She says crews don't know the cause yet and are asking people to stay away from the area near an abandoned mine.

Drysdale says there is a cellular tower about two kilometres from the fire, but at this time crews don't believe the blaze threatens any structures.

July 6, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

http://www.coastreporter.net/news/local-news/curious-onlookers-endangering-fire-crews-in-sechelt-1.1989864

Curious onlookers endangering fire crews in Sechelt
RCMP

Curious onlookers found within the area restricted by the fire have presented a serious safety concern for fire crews and themselves.

Fire crews and the Sunshine Coast RCMP are asking the public to stay away from the areas south from Mason into Old Minesite Road, East from Halfmoon Crowston and South from Halfmoon Carlson Road, which have been deemed areas of exclusion under the Wildfire Act.

Fire crews have reported seeing several curious members of the public within the immediate area of the fire, which has been restricted to the public. Some are walking into the area; others are riding bicycles or motorbikes and ATVs. Not only are they putting themselves at risk, but the distraction is putting fire crews in danger as well.

“What the public needs to know is that the fire crews need to remain focused on the fire,” said Sgt. Chubey, Operations NCO for the Sunshine Coast RCMP. “This is a very dangerous fire. The crews not only have to fight the fire, but they are watching for falling trees and operating heavy equipment and helicopters in the area. Any distraction can be life-threatening.”

Fire crews and the RCMP are requesting that the public stay out of the area. Anyone found within the restricted area could expect to be charged under the Wildfire Act. Additionally, operating motorbikes and ATVs in the area presents an additional fire risk due to the dry conditions, which could lead to additional charges should the act ignite another fire.