Squamish 2016 Trail Conditions

July 2, 2016, 11:42 p.m.

It's a shame that, with all the maintenance going on in Squamish, no one has put any effort into Grin and Holler. It was a super fun steep janky tech line just a few years ago, and I suspect it wouldn't take more than 10-15 build sessions to get running again. Maybe there's more to it than lack of initiative, but it still sucks to see a fun line fall into disrepair.

It would be sweet to get it running nice again but I think it needs a lot of drainage work so it doesn't just regress into the state it was before. I think the new climbing trail is supposed to switchback over top of it something ridiculous like 7 times so hopefully there can be a reroute and some work done to it after that goes through.

July 16, 2016, 6:43 p.m.

I uploaded a couple POV runs of some of the trails we talked about earlier in the thread in regards to slab difficulty. Might be useful for some…

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/wigal123/channel/all/

July 17, 2016, 6:24 p.m.

I uploaded a couple POV runs of some of the trails we talked about earlier in the thread in regards to slab difficulty. Might be useful for some…

Nice work! Larvicide looks like some fun jank..Hueso is another favourite of mine.

July 17, 2016, 6:37 p.m.

that larvicide vid is cool because you can hear your heart beat from wearing the chest mount for the gopro.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 18, 2016, 9:06 a.m.

How is the Legacy climb extension coming along? Is that whole project (including descent) expected to be completed in 2016 or is this a multi year project?

July 18, 2016, 10:59 a.m.

that larvicide vid is cool because you can hear your heart beat from wearing the chest mount for the gopro.

Good thing you can't hear me shitting my pants though ;)

July 18, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

Some nice vids. Haven't rode too many of the slab in Squamish, but those do look very challenging as normally the a camera tends to make the steeps look quite flat. Lavacide and few other slabs you rode look steep, so in real life they must be crazy steep.

Nice riding. I could see several spots where you rode through that I would have bailed or just crashed and died.

July 18, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Nice vids! Those off-cambers on Larvicide and the last roll on Intestinal Fortitude look pretty serious. I need another Alice Lake day…

July 18, 2016, 1:34 p.m.

Nice vids! Those off-cambers on Larvicide and the last roll on Intestinal Fortitude look pretty serious. I need another Alice Lake day…

Yeah those get the heart going for sure. Intestinal is probably my favorite trail there right now. If only it was a bit longer.

July 19, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

How is the Legacy climb extension coming along? Is that whole project (including descent) expected to be completed in 2016 or is this a multi year project?

I thought I had read murmurings on the Squamish mtb Facebook group that folks were climbing it but can't find those messages now. The descent trail seems a ways off based on creeping Joyride Bike Parks instagram.

July 20, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

I thought I had read murmurings on the Squamish mtb Facebook group that folks were climbing it but can't find those messages now. The descent trail seems a ways off based on creeping Joyride Bike Parks instagram.

Yeah I saw some pics on instagram so looks like they are making some progress.

So is Recycle back in working order after the landslide damage? Trailforks seem to say it is. Has it been repaired back to it's original condition?

July 20, 2016, 10:38 a.m.

Yeah I saw some pics on instagram so looks like they are making some progress.

So is Recycle back in working order after the landslide damage? Trailforks seem to say it is. Has it been repaired back to it's original condition?

You can get through it. Original condition is relative. The road above was engineered (IMHO) poorly, cheaply, and with the sole objective of gaining access to trees for some quick money. The drainage has been permanently altered, meaning that further washouts and slides are inevitable. The more gradual percolation of water down the slope has been supplanted by a few cheap culverts that will inevitable plug up and blow out. Good times.

There remain dozens upon dozens of trees directly above Recycle that had their roots stripped bare by the slide. These trees will slowly lose their footings, and some will eventually come down, perhaps right on the trail, hopefully not when people are present. Nothing has been done to remove or stabilize the worst of these. Basically, BCTS and their harvesters did the bare minimum to sweep this slide under the rug, and are hoping that by the time the trees give way and truly nuke the trail, everyone will have forgotten about the hack job they did on the heart and soul of the local trail network. Forestry and recreation CAN co-exist (eg. The Plunge), but cheap-assed non-reclamation jobs like this make it look dubious.

Aug. 2, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

Went for an afternoon rip in Alice Lake on Sunday. Rupert, Credit Line and Crouching Squirrel. Rupert is mint, pretty much perfect. Credit Line is fun but a bit beat up in spotss, maybe from the races. Crouching was great (first time riding it), a few dusty corners but overall good.

Ran into a woman on Mike's Loop who said that a bear had just attacked and eaten a dog somewhere on Four Lakes. Yikes.

Aug. 5, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

Hey Folks, just a quick update on the Mamma and 2 cubs around Alice Lake.

Seems like the attack took place around Fawn Lake. So end of Man Boobs/Mikes Loop area for a general idea. The Mamma attacked and killed a dog. The Mamma and cubs are still going about their business, and why not… It is likely that if they kill the Mamma, they will kill the cubs too. So please keep your dogs close by in that 'hood there are lives at stake.

edit. or ride with dog elsewhere I guess. Please contibute if you know proper protocol for this type of sitch. Not everyone shares the same feelings regarding the freedom to ride.

Aug. 5, 2016, 6:30 p.m.

Would be very sad if a bear(s) had to die because some dog owner couldn't control their mutt.

Thread killer