Squamish 2015 Trail Conditions

May 4, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

I'm starting to realize that picking good trails in Squamish is strongly linked to aspect….really this applies everywhere, but in Squamish it really matters because of our various areas with their different exposures. The south and western facing trails are always best after the rain.

Trails with a more northern exposure (ie, Manboobs) or eastern (Rupert), seem best left for dry hot times, when you want a trail that has retained moisture and not yet turned to dust. Following a rain, south and west facing rides like Room with a View and Half Nelson will help you dodge the puddles.

Of course, this has a lot to do with how the trail is made and what it is made out of. However, making trail choices based on stem-mounted compass might not be a bad approach for people who don't know each and every trail.

That all said, yes Rupert has taken a huge beating due to the massive increase in ridership and its sudden popularity. I would also suggest avoiding Manboobs altogether unless you really like wheel-sized mudpits….I think it's near top of the list for the trail crew.

Rumour is that Fred is now back in the realm of the riding. This is great. Rumour is also that Deliverance got some love. A quick inspection indicated that the love it got was indeed of the cheap inbred back-alley variety, and not the sweet and nurturing total rebuild that it needs. Dead End Loop also seems to be rideable…just be ready to turn around if there are work crews in the area. Did Word of Mouth and Lower Power Smart this week. Both were top notch conditions.

May 9, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2870618]Rumour is that Fred is now back in the realm of the riding. This is great[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this.

A new logging road has been driven thru the trail near the start so once you hit the road, turn left and ride the road for approx 100m or so to an obvious trail entrance back in the trees on the right.
The trails had some love as well as the (sorta) gnarly rooty rock roll near the end has been smoothed over with gold and a new link (left) shortly after leads to the start of Tinder.

Word of Mouth is bone dry, and in fact could do with a bit of moisture as some of the corners near the end are very loose

May 9, 2015, 5:49 p.m.

did a quick hit while in town yesterday , the bugs where insane at the start of Half Nelson but conditions where killer

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 15, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

ManBoobs today had tons on standing water on it. Lots of puddles. I didn't realize it had rained so much in Squamish lately (or that the trail doesn't drain super well). FYI.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 16, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

Anyone shuttling up there this weekend?

June 3, 2015, 5:25 p.m.

Thinking of heading up to Squamish tomorrow morning Havent done too much up there. I am looking for some black diamond type trails…dont mind climbing…dont really like the jumpy stuff. More old school . Definitely want a loop with some tech…flow…maybe 3-4 hours. Possibly incorporating the Legacy climb? Will be alone so maybe nothing with serious consequences. I have a good map.

Any thoughts from locals?

June 3, 2015, 7:15 p.m.

I'm not a local (nor does this loop include the legacy climb but…) a loop I like doing in the Alice Lake area: park at Perth [HTML_REMOVED] up mashiter [HTML_REMOVED] tracks from hell [HTML_REMOVED] mikes loop to 50 shades more [HTML_REMOVED] down Rupert [HTML_REMOVED] tracks from Hell [HTML_REMOVED] Mikes loop [HTML_REMOVED] Credit Line [HTML_REMOVED] up Jacks [HTML_REMOVED] up Debeck's Hill [HTML_REMOVED] Crouching Squirrel Hidden Money [HTML_REMOVED] up Bracken Trail [HTML_REMOVED] up Jacks [HTML_REMOVED] up 50 shares [HTML_REMOVED] then down Entrails/Boney Eblows [HTML_REMOVED] either rollercoaster or Hueso/Gouranga/etc. and then back to the car

Should take about 3 hours or so and it should be along the lines of what you are looking for.

June 3, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

I'm not a local (nor does this loop include the legacy climb but…) a loop I like doing in the Alice Lake area: park at Perth [HTML_REMOVED] up mashiter [HTML_REMOVED] tracks from hell [HTML_REMOVED] mikes loop to 50 shades more [HTML_REMOVED] down Rupert [HTML_REMOVED] tracks from Hell [HTML_REMOVED] Mikes loop [HTML_REMOVED] Credit Line [HTML_REMOVED] up Jacks [HTML_REMOVED] up Debeck's Hill [HTML_REMOVED] Crouching Squirrel Hidden Money [HTML_REMOVED] up Bracken Trail [HTML_REMOVED] up Jacks [HTML_REMOVED] up 50 shares [HTML_REMOVED] then down Entrails/Boney Eblows [HTML_REMOVED] either rollercoaster or Hueso/Gouranga/etc. and then back to the car

Should take about 3 hours or so and it should be along the lines of what you are looking for.

That's a nice loop.

On the other side. Park at Quest University. Climb up Legacy [HTML_REMOVED] Angry Midget [HTML_REMOVED] Fred [HTML_REMOVED] road over to Lower Powersmart [HTML_REMOVED] Plum Smugglers [HTML_REMOVED] Word of Mouth [HTML_REMOVED] Climb up the road until you can turn Right [HTML_REMOVED] Up the climb (Ring Creek?) to Powerhood/Ph [HTML_REMOVED] Climb the logging road [HTML_REMOVED] Hoods in the Woods [HTML_REMOVED] back to the car

July 7, 2015, 9:42 p.m.

Locals whats conditions like up there is it worth it to drive up on Friday ?? heard air quality was really bad in Whistler how is it up around Half Nelson ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 7, 2015, 9:55 p.m.

AQ index is slated for 6-7/10 tomorrow. Not as bad as Whistler, but much worse than Vancouver.

Trails are rutted and dusty. Woods are tinder dry. Good time to hit the pool or the road bike.

July 11, 2015, 8:36 p.m.

Squamish riders; where would be a good place to park a vehicle overnight where it is less likely to get broken into? Doing an overnight bike packing trip and am wary about parking on the side of FSR near a city. Prefer the Valleycliffe end of Squamish.

July 11, 2015, 8:41 p.m.

Pretty much anywhere that is not a parks or climbing parking lot.
Any residential street you should be fine.

I park my truck in front of my house, and have left valuables in it. Have not had any worries.
If you want to park in front of my house send me a message - my house is in Garibaldi Highlands though.
Guessing indian arm adventure. if so road is in good shape.

July 11, 2015, 8:48 p.m.

Pretty much anywhere that is not a parks or climbing parking lot.
Any residential street you should be fine.

I park my truck in front of my house, and have left valuables in it. Have not had any worries.
If you want to park in front of my house send me a message - my house is in Garibaldi Highlands though.
Guessing indian arm adventure. if so road is in good shape.

Thanks, correct on the destination. Was just hoping someone on that end of town would have a suggestion. Not planning on leaving any valuables in it but having a broken window [HTML_REMOVED] damage sucks.

Would you know if the hospital has overnight pay parking? That would be another option.

Trying to avoid coming back and finding something like this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hikers-car-shot-out-on-vancouver-island-1.3087946

July 11, 2015, 9:08 p.m.

There is parking at the hospital and it is free.
Residential streets around hospital hill, valleycliffe, and ravens plateau are all safe.

I am more worried of leaving my bike in a garage these days, then having my vehicle shot at.
Mags 99 should be your food destination post trip.

July 11, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

There is parking at the hospital and it is free.
Residential streets around hospital hill, valleycliffe, and ravens plateau are all safe.

I am more worried of leaving my bike in a garage these days, then having my vehicle shot at.
Mags 99 should be your food destination post trip.

Thanks, looks like a Squamish resident on the FB group has offered the street in front of his place to park.

Lots of reports of vehicle break ins on club tread at hiking trail heads.

Mags 99 was on the agenda for post ride refuel as Morgan posted on his trip report.