Can i take a stab?

diggin

Oct. 29, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

Can i take a stab?

You must be bored.

Shed head!

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

Current conditions?

I rode on Sunday, did Rupert, Entrails, Value Added, Icy Hole, Roller Coaster, Fred and WOM. It was wet in spots, but for the most part, everything was really good. Rupert was probably the worst of the lot.
I was surprised it was as good as it was given the rain the day before. Roller coaster has some big puddles in the corners, but if you know how to ride a berm, then you will avoid most of them.

Oct. 29, 2014, 4:45 p.m.

Cue the seasonal arguments about what should and should not be ridden in the wet. If a trail is listed as crappy, or has any significant amount of dirt left on it, it might be nice to avoid it for the sake of future riding opportunities. I suggest some of the better draining or better armored lines such as most of Valleycliffe (granite!!!), Half Nelson, Plunge, Pseudos, Entrails etc…
Anything new this year is probably left alone, as trails take a good year or two to get broken in, built up, and then settled down. The amount of traffic hitting Rupert and Man Boobs lately has been a bit surprising, considering the conditions and the availability of better drained options (now imagine that being said with a total high and mighty preachy tone of voice, with the speaker slightly shaking his head) :)

Oct. 29, 2014, 6:49 p.m.

was fast and fun on Sunday , tons of people of there riding and having fun

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 29, 2014, 7:23 p.m.

I rode on Sunday, did Rupert, Entrails, Value Added, Icy Hole, Roller Coaster, Fred and WOM. It was wet in spots, but for the most part, everything was really good. Rupert was probably the worst of the lot.
I was surprised it was as good as it was given the rain the day before. Roller coaster has some big puddles in the corners, but if you know how to ride a berm, then you will avoid most of them.

Thanks, I'm planning a ride up in the Squish soon.

Shed head!

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

yay we,re heading back up in a couple weeks if all goes well, my brother lives there and just got back into riding and is a couple blocks away from the university .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Heads up for these bikes that were stolen October 28out of a garage on jay crescent in squish…if you see any of them. Posted them in stolen but thought i would post it here to, thanks dave
someone broke into garage window and boosted garage door with broom handle and made off with 5 bikes on Jay Crecent. Owners were home so please keep an eye out for these bikes and if you know anything please pass it on to me, not mine but a close friends, trials and moto were left, seems very targeted so likely someone in sea 2 sky or even squamish.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Oct. 30, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

There is a good list of rain friendly trails for the Shore. How about a list for those planning Squamish trips?

Oct. 30, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

This was discussed a few posts back. However, aim for well worn trails with lots of granite, armoring, and drainage. So for the unfamiliar, in Alice Lake area that might include all of Cheekeye Fan, as well as Entrails, Room with a View, Icy Hole, and Treasure Trail (experts only on TT), Robs Corners and Cliffs Corners (although the new lower section is mucky).Probably best to AVOID Rupert, Man Boobs, Kiki, Covenant among others that don't ride benefit from riding in the rain.

Diamond Head area (Ring Creek), not much granite, so head for the drained and worn, such as Half Nelson, Pseudo Tsugas, Crouching Squirrel), Yer Mom. The Plunge if you're up to it. Best for everyone if you AVOID Angry Midget. Others can certainly identify others that are beaten up.

Valleycliffe has the best granite options. If you're into steeps, there's Cougar Ridge amongst others.

Oct. 30, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2844203]This was discussed a few posts back. However, aim for well worn trails with lots of granite, armoring, and drainage. So for the unfamiliar, in Alice Lake area that might include all of Cheekeye Fan, as well as Entrails, Room with a View, Icy Hole, and Treasure Trail (experts only on TT), Robs Corners and Cliffs Corners (although the new lower section is mucky).Probably best to AVOID Rupert, Man Boobs, Kiki, Covenant among others that don't ride benefit from riding in the rain.

Diamond Head area (Ring Creek), not much granite, so head for the drained and worn, such as Half Nelson, Pseudo Tsugas, Crouching Squirrel), Yer Mom. The Plunge if you're up to it. Best for everyone if you AVOID Angry Midget. Others can certainly identify others that are beaten up.

Valleycliffe has the best granite options. If you're into steeps, there's Cougar Ridge amongst others.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I rode Man Boobs for the first time on Sunday as well as Rupert, and can definitely say that these are not trails that are fit for wet riding, nor fun to ride on in the wet. Leave them till next summer! I think Value added / Entrails / TT are great options for the wet. Credit line is another that's decent.

Oct. 31, 2014, 7:37 a.m.

Wanting to try Somewhere Over There, yay or nay for ze wet weather?

Shed head!

Oct. 31, 2014, 8:28 a.m.

Eds Bypass, Made in the shade, dead end loop and the four lakes loops are all good when its wet too.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 31, 2014, 12:25 p.m.

If you do decide to ride the not so good Squa-mush xc rides in the wet (Fred, Word of Mouth).
Please provide payment of large rocks placed conveniently beside mud holes. Does not have to be many, but all the help is appreciated.

I will be working away on Fred this weekend trying to bring the trail bed up.

Thanks!

Nov. 2, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

Wanting to try Somewhere Over There, yay or nay for ze wet weather?

I'd lean towards nay on this one. It has some short granite sections, but they all pack out into dirt at the bottom. Much of the upper part is dirt, and the climb up to it is a bit sloggy. Also, the wood is pretty slippy in the rain. The rock to wood to rock to wood to rock line can get downright dodgy IMHO, Hoods holds up better in the rain, as does lower Plunge.