Squamish 2013 conditions

March 21, 2013, 2:54 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2736994] Just saying there are plenty of great options. :)[/QUOTE]
nice. hoping to make it up tomorrow afternoon for some sun and sweet Squamish singletrack. any info on the state of hoods in the woods?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 21, 2013, 3:05 p.m.

Hoods usually drains pretty well. It has some rocky and rooty spots, but the climb up is free of snow and people have been riding it lots. Plunge will be a bit slippy if you pick that route to get there, but all the little things they (Sorca trail crew) did last year have made it that much better this year.

March 22, 2013, 10:52 a.m.

many places i haven't ridden. is Squamish really that good, i've heard great things. i'm in the Comox Valley and have thought about a camping weekend over there and a day or 2 of epic long rides. many options, long rides? super tech and climb or all options available?

March 22, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

If I was going to leave Squamish, I'd probably move to your neck of the woods. The riding here is very comparable to the riches you have in your area. We probably have a bit more to pick from strictly based on volume of trails and size of the scene, but quality is similar. It certainly covers all the bases you mentioned. I can ride 2-3 hours a day for a week straight, and probably never hit the same trail twice.

Alice Lake makes for good camping if you don't mind family sites. Come check it out, you won't regret it.

March 22, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

Rode 'hoods this afternoon. It's in superb condition even though I am not.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 22, 2013, 11:05 p.m.

many places i haven't ridden. is Squamish really that good, i've heard great things. i'm in the Comox Valley and have thought about a camping weekend over there and a day or 2 of epic long rides. many options, long rides? super tech and climb or all options available?

Dude, Squamish is so good. So many choices.

Thread killer

March 24, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

Here's the latest update reposted from SORCA. There are flagging crews in place around some trails, and the logging companies are making a strong effort to provide safe access through their active work zones. So, if you have to wait for clearance, be patient and thank them for looking after your safety. (Repost from SORCA below)

_"A few trail updates. Sea 2 Sky Power continue to work on setting up poles in the Bob McIntosh/Rock n Roll area. This area remains closed to riding for the time being. Please be aware that logs will be hauled out on Rob's and Cliff's Corners over the next week so please be aware that closures may occur.

Good News-Recycle and Cortez Planks are now reopened and ready to ride. The new upper sections of the Stil’halem Sintl’ Trail (Grizzly Bear) trail from the Ring Creek North FSR up to the top of One Man's Garbage is ready to ride. Look for the new sign posts at the fork on the Ring Creek North FSR and take a right. It will take you to Full Nelson and then up to One Man's Garbage. When you reach the top you can ride to Angry Midget/Half Nelson/Recycle.

Thanks

SORCA Exec"_

March 24, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

Crumpit trails were minty yesterday

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

March 25, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

Hit up crumpit yesterday as well and agree with your statement other than the first part of lost loop which is a bit soupy atm.

March 27, 2013, 1:49 p.m.

Hit up the climbing trail to angry midget to half nelson and out and everything was in fantastic condition, tacky as anything and very little mud.

March 28, 2013, 10 a.m.

Another update from SORCA (quoted below). This is pretty important, given the amount of traffic, and the proximity of the cutting and hauling to the riding area. Looks like an awesome weekend for riding. Probably a good time to utilize the new climbing singletrack, and leave the trucks at the bottom. The road to these trails has VERY steep banks on the south side, and there is no room for error if you meet a fully loaded truck on your way up. Be safe out there, once this hydro clearing is complete, we can get back to rebuilding the trails.

_"Another update. Please be aware S2Sky Power is now cutting trees in the Deliverance and Lower Word of Mouth area-30 m section below the current power lines. This harvesting will be taking place over the next few weeks.

The contractor will be hauling logs from this area, as well as from above Alice Lake along the Ring Creek North FSR so please be weary of increased logging truck activity in this corridor.

Once again thanks for your cooperation and we will try to maintain regular updates.

SORCA Executive"_

March 29, 2013, 8:35 a.m.

I am coming over to Squamish this weekend and will be free to ride Saturday and Monday. Any recommendations on trails I should check out? I only have one ride in earlier this week since I broke my arm in December so i am looking for something a little more flowy then technical, I was thinking maybe full Nelson?

March 29, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

i am looking for something a little more flowy then technical, I was thinking maybe full Nelson?

Doesn't get much more flowy/less technical than that!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 29, 2013, 8:56 a.m.

Doesn't get much more flowy/less technical than that!

Anywhere online that would have directions or would I be best off to go to a bike shop and ask?

Or if anyone is free tomorrow to show me around a few Squamish trails that would be awesome. I have heard so much about the area but never ridden there.

March 29, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

I find the squamish trail app quite handy. Worth the $10.