Squamish 2013 conditions

Feb. 14, 2013, 3:20 p.m.

There was actually no snow on the gravel access road heading up to 19th hole at the cakewalk entrance, there was just maybe a 2 foot high snowbank on the downward side of the road and over the embankment on the trail side maybe 20 feet down the bank, after that there was no snow (other than a couple patches once in a blue moon maybe 1 foot wide by 2 feet long).

Given that 19th hole isn't THAT much further up the hill I'd imagine that the road is probably pretty clear to the 19th hole parking area (or at least very little) and that while the top 10% or so of the trail may have snow the rest should be mint. Ground wasn't muddy and was super tacky. I was very surprised at the level of grip.

Feb. 15, 2013, 7:29 a.m.

I skinned up to Red Heather on Thursday night, and there was a fair bit of snow off the side at the entrance of 19th. Cakewalk is exposed and has a much sunnier aspect than 19th. Judging by the snow line that was visible on the trees on Tuesday I would say it's pretty wishful thinking that 19th would be anything other than a mess. Also, when you get to the end of 19th that area has been logged significantly apparently so getting any further could be messy at the moment.

Feb. 16, 2013, 7:25 p.m.

Credit Line and Entrails in great shape today. Trails getting there, not so much.

Shed head!

Feb. 16, 2013, 8 p.m.

Credit Line and Entrails in great shape today. Trails getting there, not so much.

I warned you!

Feb. 17, 2013, 2:33 p.m.

Of mice and men hill has some blow down at the start but the hill is snow free. A few soupy sections heading out to Entrails. Entrails/Boney Elbows/Gouranga all in great shape. Some work is being done on Committed.

Feb. 23, 2013, 6 p.m.

Every thing is awesome. The road up to half Nelson is super soupy because of the logging, snow line is at the sorca shelter.

Feb. 25, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

Stoopid new climbing trail that goes up from the Uni. It's like twice as long as it was last year, it also got way steeper over the past 3 months- made my frigging bike feel like 15 pounds heavier, and there's something wrong with the frigging air..totally hurts my lungs and makes me gasp for breath. Winter riding conditions are horrible.

Feb. 26, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

Hiked Fred with the dog yesterday.

Looks like the Tasmanian Devil chased Bugs through that area. Huge sections of forest were knocked down. Trail has been completely cleaned - as of yesterday.

There is a short section of snow at the first bridge. You will also have to walk a short section on the road to the trail.

Great way to add additional trail if heading to Word of Mouth.

March 5, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Great ride somewhere over there yesterday.

March 5, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

This from the SORCA Exec:

"Just a reminder that Sea to Sky Power is currently harvesting trees and making space for the new power lines above Alice Lake. The area around Rock n Roll and Dead and Loop is closed due to road building and falling. For the safety of the workers and yourself please avoid this area and Rob's corners while the work is continuing. Please let other riders know as well."

Riders visiting Squamish should be aware that there is a lot of construction and logging activity going on right now. There's harvesting, power line expansion, and subdivision construction going on, all affecting trail access and safety. Fear not, we have incredible people at SORCA working to maintain and reclaim affected trails, and create new ones. They also work extremely hard to maintain civil relationships with the builders and developers, so please respect their work and avoid off limits areas. Never, under any conditions, enter an active logging area. You may be putting yourself and others at risk.

The road from Ring Creek up towards Half Nelson is very active at this time, and is often closed between 7am and 430 pm. If the signs say closed, don't go playing chicken with a logging truck. There have also been closures on the west side of Darwin's crossing, at the bottom of the Ring Creek Rip. Access to the Plunge, Hoods, and SOT might be limited at times.

Just drop in and visit one of our great shops, and ask what trails have good access right now. Valleycliffe is good to go, most of Debeck's Hill and the Credit Line area is good, Cheekeye fan is good, Cakewalk-Full Nelson is good at least report, so we have lots of options folks. Enjoy!

March 6, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

So how will shuttles from 19th down be this Saturday? Snow?

March 8, 2013, 2:32 a.m.

Full nelson was minty today.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

March 15, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

See below for recent updates from SORCA about temporary trail closures (Cheshire Cat and Section 57) and access limits (Corners, Rock and Roll). Note that S-57 is not named by SORCA, but anyone that knows the trail understands that what closes Cheshire also closes S-57.

Hey Folks

Sea to Sky Power Corporation will be removing the logs that they have cut in the area around Rock n Roll and Rob and Cliff's corners over the next week. Although these trails are now open there will be a flag person onsite when work is being conducted. Please respect the directions of the flagpersons.

Sea to Sky will also be removing trees in /around Cat Lake. Please avoid riding Cheshire Cat as active loging will be taking place on the last section of trail underneath the power line.

Thanks SORCA Exec

March 21, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

**Hey Folks

We are asking riders to please avoid driving on the Ring Creek North FSR for the next few weeks. Squomish Logging is completing their operations this weeka and will be grading the road up towards the SORCA shelter. We are hoping to give the road time to set up and dry out.

Thanks for your cooperation.

SORCA Exec**

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

March 21, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

**Hey Folks

We are asking riders to please avoid driving on the Ring Creek North FSR for the next few weeks. Squomish Logging is completing their operations this weeka and will be grading the road up towards the SORCA shelter. We are hoping to give the road time to set up and dry out.

Thanks for your cooperation.

SORCA Exec**

So, in other words, if you need to shuttle, head up to Cakewalk (link it to Full Nelson) and the upper section of trails toward Garibaldi.

If you want to ride Pseudo Tsuga, Half Nelson, Lowdown, or the other trails in that area, please pedal or push and leave your vehicles at the BOTTOM of Half Nelson (or lower). A bit of mutual respect now will pay off in better conditions throughout the rest of year.

Valleycliffe is also draining nicely right now, and the trails above Alice Lake are also pretty sweet. Just saying there are plenty of great options. :)