Squamish 2013 conditions

April 2, 2013, 12:03 a.m.

^ that trail you asked about is called Recycle. Just got rebuilt after the logging

April 2, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

^ that trail you asked about is called Recycle. Just got rebuilt after the logging

Thank you.

April 4, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

I'm not sure what the state of play is with the logging/hydro line activity but is this likely to be possible this weekend:

Lap 1:Quest Uni [HTML_REMOVED] Legacy Climb [HTML_REMOVED] Grizzly Bear (is this the correct name for the new climbing trail?) [HTML_REMOVED] Angry Midget [HTML_REMOVED] back up the Ring Creek North FSR [HTML_REMOVED] Fred [HTML_REMOVED] Word of Mouth [HTML_REMOVED] Quest
Lap 2:Garibaldi park road [HTML_REMOVED] Darwins Crossing [HTML_REMOVED] STP [HTML_REMOVED] Somewhere Over There (alt: is Blindside a worthwhile trail to access Hoods or SOT? Or will I be mowed-down by dirt-bikers?)

Thanks

April 4, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

I'm not sure what the state of play is with the logging/hydro line activity but is this likely to be possible this weekend:

Lap 1:Quest Uni [HTML_REMOVED] Legacy Climb [HTML_REMOVED] Grizzly Bear (is this the correct name for the new climbing trail?) [HTML_REMOVED] Angry Midget [HTML_REMOVED] back up the Ring Creek North FSR [HTML_REMOVED] Fred [HTML_REMOVED] Word of Mouth [HTML_REMOVED] Quest
Lap 2:Garibaldi park road [HTML_REMOVED] Darwins Crossing [HTML_REMOVED] STP [HTML_REMOVED] Somewhere Over There (alt: is Blindside a worthwhile trail to access Hoods or SOT? Or will I be mowed-down by dirt-bikers?)

Thanks

Haven't yet been to the midget this season but the rest is good to go.

April 4, 2013, 10:12 a.m.

I can answer that.

Lap 1 is a go. I ran up word of mouth - to fred last night. No logging there at the moment.
Logging is presently taking place at the top of the Harry Happy Clam(alternate climbing route from Fred to Your Mom).

Lap 2 - Clear as well. Blindside is the moto trail adjacent to hoods. Definitely can not be ridden up, riding down it is also an unpleasant experience. Good to go via STP or Plunge to SOT or Hoods in the woods.

Have fun

April 4, 2013, 10:47 a.m.

Haven't yet been to the midget this season but the rest is good to go.

Angry Midget was in awesome shape when I hit it late last week.

April 4, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

Thanks folks!

April 4, 2013, 9:38 p.m.

More trail news fro mSORCA quoted below. I suspect by "voluntary" closure, they mean these are publicly accessible areas, and people may have some extent of rights to go in these areas. However, we're all better off if we just avoid them altogether until the work is done. So far, the people involved in the hydro line expansion seem to be taking great care to protect public safety. We have also had many trails re-established in just a few short months following the work. This is really impressive. Lower third of Recycle was wiped out, and is now completely back to a new (different) rideable state. Probably most important is to be wary of logging traffic if you up there mid-week. Them trucks be big, that road be narrow. Quote follows:

"Please be advised that there is a voluntary closure of both Word of Mouth and Lower Power Smart for the next 5-10 days as S2Sky Power will be harvesting logs and hauling them out for the power line. We ask that you avoid this area for the next few weeks. Please be advised that there will be increased logging truck traffic on the Lower Ring Creek FSR and Diamonhead Rd. due to hauling of logs from this area and the area above Alice Lake. We thank you for your patience and cooperation."

April 8, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

Planning a day ride up in Squamish for April 26th - We are thinking we will do the JABR loops/or variations on them for a 2-3 hour ride…
Should we be worried about anything not being accessible or open?
Can't wait to get up there!! (coming from Van)

Cheers

April 8, 2013, 9:44 p.m.

Things have been chaning by the week up here. In the current state of things, you would need to exercise caution along the Mashiter when you get close to the Corners, and along the Alice Lake Connector road. Those areas are pretty much open, but logging traffic is still possible on weekends and may be traffic controlled.

Lower Power Smart is closed at this time (I believe) as is Plum Smugglers (2011 JABR route). For the 2012 route, the connection between Word of Mouth and Yer Mom is blocked at this time. Yer Mom will not be affected, but the sections of WOrd of Mouth that are closest to the Power Lines will likely be affected. Most other trails are good to go at this time.

By the 26th, some of these blockages may be clear. However, it is paramount for your safety that you keep out of any closed areas. There are plenty of trails open though, and you will have no problem putting together a stellar 3 hour ride. Stop by one of the shops for an update and buy a trailpass sticker to support MTB in Squamish!

April 11, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

There's a tree across Credit Line, a few seconds past the cliff/lookout, that's head high. The track is pretty fast in that section so just know it's there.
What's the info on the Alice lake climbing trail. beginning, terminus, completed?

April 13, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

Hi all, just wanted to share an experience. Was riding easter weekend and we hit SOT. Got passed by 2 moto guys who told us it was a MOTO ONLY trail. Was news to me ! I even asked some mountain bikers further down the trail and they said it was not a MOTO trail. I recall back a few years ago that this area was particularly contentious between the 2 stakeholder groups.

Just looking for some guidance as I don't want to be inciting another dust up between the 2 trail user groups.

thanks,

Mike

http://www.westcoastcycling.ca

April 13, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

Are you sure you were on the right trail? Were you on the climb, or the downhill section?
SOT is absolutely not a "moto" trail. The climb that leads up to it is shared at several points. However, the downhill section is ridden almost exclusively by mountain bikers, and has not benefitted from a lick of work or maintenance by any moto-rider. The trail is occasionally used by trials riders, and is not techniically off limits to motorized traffic. However, there have been agreements reached between SORCA and the SDBA (dirt bikers association) to maintain an mutually desirable division of routes on that part of the land, with dirtbikers using Blindside and Banzai, and MTBs using Hoods in the Woods and SOT.

The only dirtbikers that ever use the downhill portion of SOT (and behave as you describe) are either poorly educated and completely misinformed, or part of a small minority of agitators that continue to cling to some ass-backwards idea that their bullying tactics are better than the agreements reached between SORCA and the SDBA. SOme dirtbikers continue to cry foul about various MTB activities. However, I myself have been sprayed with gravel and treated abusively by dirt bikers on multiple occasions, despite doing the usual "smile and wave" routine at each opportunity, and assisting fallen dirt bikers in several situations. Fact it, there are some angry idiots out there that have no interest in getting along or respecting the agreements that our hard working organizations have tried to establish. It's sad when the actions of a few undo the hard work of the many.

edit- I should add that SOT is officially recognized by Ministry as a trail(section 57), under an application completed by it's original builder- a mountain biker.

April 14, 2013, 1 p.m.

At the top of the climb on SOT there are two separate lefts. The first is the moto trail and the second is the mtb trail(correct me if I'm wrong). There used to be a small sign indicating the first left was a moto trail. The sign disappeared at some point.

I know some of my friends have ended up on the moto trail by accident when riding SOT for the first time because they took the first left at the top of the climb.

April 14, 2013, 6:40 p.m.

Unfortunately the entire situation is a bit confusing. There are two different ways UP to SOT. At the entrance to Hoods you can either go straight, or go left (at the carved Fork). For MTBs, this takes you up to the top of SOT where you start your descent. So when you are at the top of SOT and prepared to drop into the good stuff and woodwork etc, behind you are two different climbs (one being the straight shot past Hoods and the other being left at the Fork- both lead to the top of the SOT descent.)If you take the straight shot climb to get to the top, the first left is the terminus of the other climb (left at the fork), and the second "left" is the entrance to the true SOT descent.

However, motobikes go up one climb and down the other climb. They do not use the MTB descent (except the occasional trials rider), but rather ride a loop around the two potential climbing routes to SOT.

Thus, neither route is truly designated for use by one party or another, as motos simply ride both climbs. Therefore, for them to claim one climb specifically as "their own" is simply wrong.

For MTBs, both climbs are manageable. I would submit that the left at the fork is now cleanable, but still hard to do so. The straight shot is more rutted, but more direct, and the final steep is extremely difficult to clean except in perfect conditions. It would be ideal to have one climb for each user group. However, the pattern of moto traffic (looping around BOTH climbs) negates this possibility.

Ideally, it would be nice if some type of agreement could be reached by the clubs, and all people could behave honestly and as adults. However, in the meantime, I suggest people continue to smile and wave. If someone is a douche-bag to you, just brush it off and know they are in the extreme minority. 95% of motos are fine reasonable people, same goes for MTBs. Don't join the militant minority and try to press petty agro trail "ownership" when no laws or agreement exist to support it. We're lucky to have the trails we do, if the price of use is putting up with a bit of confusing bullsh*8t now and then, it's still a pretty small price.

Bunch of moto riders joined the MTB toonie party for beers today. Further proof that getting along is the norm.

As per the TRAIL CONDITIONS _ pretty damned good in the sunny parts, pretty darned slippery in the shade. Been some heavy traffic on some of the trails during the last rainy spell, but things seem to be holding up. Word of advice: if you see a big mud puddle in Squamish, check it for depth before crossing :)