Southern Chilcotins 2016

June 13, 2016, 3:04 p.m.

1 metre+ on the passes.

Although we are not the first crowd to get after it up there, the foot of snow over the weekend may prevent a few from heading out for the next couple weeks.

Day 1- We woke up and it was absolutely pouring at Friberg. After a relaxed breakfast under the tarp, I went for a walk with the pooch. Ran into our neighbours and recommended a fishing spot. They thanked us with 2 bundles of dry wood, and then the rain stopped.

So we hoofed it up to Molly Dog.

There was about 5-15cm of new snow for the first 200m or so. I think we counted 3 downed trees on molly-pepper. Everything was 5 star riding, after all, who doesn't love a pow day. We did another lap of the lower stuff and called it a day around 7:30pm.

Day 2 - My pooch woke me up at 0645, he knew a good morning was working itself up. Pretty lazy breakfast but we were basically packed and ready by 11:00am (crew of 4, high bacon:coffee). We were going to lap lower cinnabar, but decided to push up to the basin (great choice). This time we brought a folding saw (another great move). We cleared 4 decent trees and made a jump over one we couldn't cut. Ended up riding Cinnabar North from the top (top of the climb from the basin). It was outstanding. Amazing dirt, couple of snow patches and so fast. The dogs were absolutely roasted at the valley bottom.

N.Cinnabar

Snow Line

Hi Paul

In summary: The lower stuff is a gem to ride right now and it's going to be a little while until the passes go.

June 13, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

I was up SCMP friday doing some Parks work related stuff, rode in from the main sidehill sketch section on relay fsr up to the first camp, got hailed/snowed/rained on…had a few other things along the way back to Jewel, had planned on camping at Jewel and then riding saturday but the pissing rain and cold temps made me tuck tail and just gas it back to whistler after I was done….sounds like a good call! :)

June 14, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

Wow, was hoping it was a little further along than that!
Thanks for the updates and the saw work.

June 24, 2016, 11:55 a.m.

Skidrc Thanks for the update. Looking to head up in a few weeks. One question…..when you say you pushed up to the basin were you pushing up Cinnabar or Taylor?

June 24, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

Skidrc Thanks for the update. Looking to head up in a few weeks. One question…..when you say you pushed up to the basin were you pushing up Cinnabar it Taylor?

my boss did a heli flyover with parks last week and said the passes are all still chock full o snow….and ti had snowed a couple of days previously…we were going to spend 5 duys up there after the long weekend, but we've pushed it back a few weeks instead

June 24, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Wow. This plus the hypothermic Nimby. Crazy year!

June 25, 2016, 10:04 a.m.

my boss did a heli flyover with parks last week and said the passes are all still chock full o snow….and ti had snowed a couple of days previously…we were going to spend 5 duys up there after the long weekend, but we've pushed it back a few weeks instead

Seeing how that dusting from a week ago is still hanging out on Wedge and not melted, this doesnt' surprise me. Bummed though.

June 25, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

when you say you pushed up to the basin were you pushing up Cinnabar or Taylor?

up cinnabar trail

June 25, 2016, 9:45 p.m.

up cinnabar trail

Nice. Thanks for the post.

July 16, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

beauty conditions on Lick Thursday, a storm moved in as we dropped in, got rained on in the bottom 1/3…trail is clear, I cut out a few face slapper branches in a few places and removed some obnoxious roots in awkward places. Also did a quick lower Cinnabar yesterday before heading back to Whistler, the rain from Thursday meant super awesome conditions, tacky and not too dry, although for that trail those conditions always seemed short lived!

High Trail into Eldorado

into the Lick meadows turns

July 18, 2016, 12:53 p.m.

Damn that looks good. Need to get up there at some point… then again I still haven't even ridden Pemberton.