Southern Chilcotin (2015)

July 23, 2015, 11:31 p.m.

Ya'll need a gps.

There is a trail beside/ behind the picnic tables in the horse camp that will take you down to the first creek crossing where you ride beside the creek, before the main crossing. Took us a lot of fuddering about to find it, its faint, but ita there. It had a number of other trails feed into it.

July 24, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Heads up to anyone heading up to the South Chilcotin this weekend, the Pemberton Meadows Road will be closed Sunday due to the Ironman.

Details here:
http://isurvivedthehurley.com/?p=1710

July 24, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

There is a trail beside/ behind the picnic tables in the horse camp that will take you down to the first creek crossing where you ride beside the creek, before the main crossing. Took us a lot of fuddering about to find it, its faint, but ita there. It had a number of other trails feed into it.

Yeah this is where we ended up. Its a bit of mess, but eventually if you head down you hit it.

July 24, 2015, 6:41 p.m.

^^ ya man, it took a couple passes to finally find it. By the sounds of it, we did the same thing as your party. we stopped for a "safety meeting" and I shit you not, a deer jumped out, and that's how i keyed into the trail…

July 29, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Anyone been out the Relay Creek road recently?

Just wondering if there has been any work done to the off camber or steep hill sections?

July 30, 2015, 9:40 p.m.

Can anyone recommend some shorter rides in the Tyax area? We're heading up with a mixed group and some of us will do Taylor Ck/Camel Pass/Lick Ck the day before the fly in trip to Warner. The rest of the group wants an easier day. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

July 30, 2015, 9:47 p.m.

You can ride laps of lower cinnabar, probably ~1 hour loop from tyax if you hammer, using the road up the hill before the one that goes to Taylor (not sure of its name)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 31, 2015, 7:12 a.m.

Can anyone recommend some shorter rides in the Tyax area? We're heading up with a mixed group and some of us will do Taylor Ck/Camel Pass/Lick Ck the day before the fly in trip to Warner. The rest of the group wants an easier day. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

There's a few trails off high trail (but I haven't ridden them) or they could also use that to access lick, cinnibar, etc. though the climb sucks. They could drive up to jewel and do an out and back towards spruce. There's quite a few trails around gun Lake or they could also head up to bralorne.

July 31, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

Post #69…WOOHOO!!

Aug. 4, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

Just posted all of this to Trailforks:

"Relay Creek Trail

Road to trail head is deteriorating, bank above is coming down causing off camber sections.
Trail from Rec. site to Relay cabin is in decent shape, some wet/muddy sections.
Trail from Relay cabin to Graveyard cabin has about a dozen trees down on it. All can be climbed over or ridden around.
Some wet [HTML_REMOVED] muddy sections at lower elevations.
"

"Little Paradise Creek Trail

Overgrown vegetation.
About half a dozen trees down on climb from Relay crossing to sub alpine, all can be climbed over or have a bypass.
The valley bottom brushy section is a lot thicker and taller than the last time I was in there.
With the dry summer the normal wet section is a lot drier than previous.
"

"Little Graveyard Trail

Overgrown vegetation.
Little Paradise side to the pass is in decent shape.
The lower section on the Graveyard side is brushy.
"

"Graveyard Creek Trail

Small tree down across trail, can ride over or around.
About a dozen trees down from Little Graveyard intersection to Big Creek intersection, all you can climb over or have a bypass. Otherwise trail is in good shape.
"

Aug. 4, 2015, 2:17 p.m.

After managing to get my broken down truck towed off the top of the hurly (not recommended) I can post of my 4 days riding well known trails.
Day 1 camped at Ty lake and did a high trail to Molly dog, dry and fast but tons of fun.
Day 2 - flew to spruce, hiked up open heart and had a wicked ride down through there and around the grasslands. We ran into a crew of 18 staying at the camp, and I recognized a few folks who recommended we reverse our deer pass plans (go East to West, not Warner to Ty as previously done)
Day 3 - WD-Ty creek trail - deer pass- Gun creek - grasslands -spruce. Incredible, deer pass is a very awesome trail. Nice to finish on Gun creek trail with a few stops along the way (trigger and hummingbird camps look awesome)
Day 4- Windy- Lick. Lick, as it has somewhat become the grandaddy of the trails on that side, is showing its capacity. Its dry from the meadows down, and very loose in the steep spots. Though, very good riding.

Aug. 4, 2015, 11:46 p.m.

After managing to get my broken down truck towed off the top of the hurly (not recommended) I can post of my 4 days riding well known trails.
Day 1 camped at Ty lake and did a high trail to Molly dog, dry and fast but tons of fun.
Day 2 - flew to spruce, hiked up open heart and had a wicked ride down through there and around the grasslands. We ran into a crew of 18 staying at the camp, and I recognized a few folks who recommended we reverse our deer pass plans (go East to West, not Warner to Ty as previously done)
Day 3 - WD-Ty creek trail - deer pass- Gun creek - grasslands -spruce. Incredible, deer pass is a very awesome trail. Nice to finish on Gun creek trail with a few stops along the way (trigger and hummingbird camps look awesome)
Day 4- Windy- Lick. Lick, as it has somewhat become the grandaddy of the trails on that side, is showing its capacity. Its dry from the meadows down, and very loose in the steep spots. Though, very good riding.

Sounds like a great trip. On your day 1 ride how long did it take you to get up to Molly?

Aug. 6, 2015, 3:42 p.m.

I'm guessing the issue is that the Trailforks page for ROR doesn't show the trail following the ridge all the way till the end.
http://www.trailforks.com/route/ridgeorama-circle/

There is a GPS track that shows that section on one of the websites but I can't remember where.

Just noticed the East end of ROR is now on Trailforks:
http://www.trailforks.com/trails/ridgeorama-east-section/

That should cut down on the number of lost people in Cinnibar basin. ;)

Aug. 6, 2015, 5:41 p.m.

Sounds like a great trip. On your day 1 ride how long did it take you to get up to Molly?

2.5 hours truck to truck, and it could definitely be done faster. We parked in the lot.

Aug. 6, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

2.5 hours truck to truck, and it could definitely be done faster. We parked in the lot.

typically takes about 50 min to ride up the puker as far as molly dog. can not really be done slower then that unless your pushing, hence the nick name. ;)

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.