South Chilcotins 2014

July 27, 2014, 2:33 p.m.

Looking for some info and suggestions on rides for my girlfriend and me
Have ridden cinnabar to slider a bunch and taylor to lick via eldorado and also another pass (Dont ahve my map right now).
We are looking for a ride that doesnt involve too much climbing after the descent. How is B[HTML_REMOVED]F? Or Ridge a rama. I remember seeing flips go pro and it looked kind of gnar. What about Molly Dog as a short half day kind of thing?

Thanks

July 27, 2014, 5:07 p.m.

B[HTML_REMOVED]F involves a hard 1 hour hike a bike, ROR is like 3.5 hours up and down and up and down and etc after you get to Camel Pass, and definitely some steep, rocky, gnar bits. Taylor/Camel/Molly/Etc would be your best bet for mostly all down after mostly all climb.

July 30, 2014, 9:57 a.m.

Thanks Todd. Ended up heading over to eldorado, then taking the pearson trail to camel, then down high trail to molly dog and the lower stuff. Good times. Lots of creek crossings on high trail that have turned into boggy marshes from horse action, and quite a bit of double track descending before MD which was a slight bummer. Still, an awesome day in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. Never leave Tyax without thinking "When can i get back here next?"
Lower cinnabar is slightly overgrown and slider seems like it is now closed or has had 0 maintenance this year. Pearson trail from eldorado to camel has lots of derailleur hungry rocks on it as well.

Aug. 5, 2014, 4:26 p.m.

Does anyone have any idea on how the Jim Creek - Brett Creek trail area fared over the winter blowdown wise ??

Thanks.

Aug. 19, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

There are two new debris flows on the Upper Paradise creek trail (above the huge old Cardtable debris flow from ~2006), one is about 10 feet across, the other is about 50 feet across. Both are still liquid so challenging to cross.

Re: Paint discussion on rocks [HTML_REMOVED] trees from the other Chilcotin ride report thread; Holy crap someone went crazy with the orange paint up there. No idea why.

~~~~~~~~~~

There are two large trees (chainsaw size) down on the Lower Tyaughton creek trail, but they are low enough that you can lift your bike over.
The 5 small creeks along this trail that normally have water in them are now virtually dry, make sure you carry enough water, you won't find any until about 7km in, next to the Cowboy camp.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted a Hurley road condition report here: http://isurvivedthehurley.com/?p=1438#comment-13363

Aug. 19, 2014, 11:09 a.m.

There are two new debris flows on the Upper Paradise creek trail (above the huge old Cardtable debris flow from ~2006)…one is about 10 feet across, the other is about 50 feet across. Both are still liquid so challenging to cross.

The shorter one - temporary wood bridge saved us from muddy legs

The bigger one - CraigH sunk up to his knees :|

Aug. 19, 2014, 11:25 a.m.

way more gooey than when were went through there a few weeks back….although they were pretty fresh then too!

Sept. 2, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

spent a bit of time poking around the west end.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:33 a.m.

So far it's not functioning - the company that installed it won't say when (or even if) they're going to open it.

The bar in Bralorne has gas again, though.

Talked to the guys working on the Gold Bridge gas station/card lock Saturday; they said they are hoping to be finished by Tuesday, Sept. 9th.

After that you'll be able to buy gas or diesel 24 hours a day with a credit card. I've seen no attendant gas stations like that in Northern BC, Yukon [HTML_REMOVED] NWT, but not in Southern BC.

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

If anyone is planning to ride Alphagetti on Sunshine Mountain above Bralorne, don't bother. Only about the top 5% of the trail remains, the rest of the trail is gone in a mess of cut block debris crossed by a bunch of new roads.

Sept. 7, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Tops of the mountains [HTML_REMOVED] passes got snow Tuesday afternoon [HTML_REMOVED] evening, so we woke to views of fresh on Weds. It melted off later Weds. but fall [HTML_REMOVED] winter is coming.

Sept. 7, 2014, 9:25 p.m.

any advice or favorites on places to car-camp near gun/tyaughton/carpenter lake? we're planning to head up there next weekend to do a couple of day-long loops. there seems to be number of forest recreation sights in the area, but not much info to be had about any of them.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 7, 2014, 10:45 p.m.

any advice or favorites on places to car-camp near gun/tyaughton/carpenter lake? we're planning to head up there next weekend to do a couple of day-long loops. there seems to be number of forest recreation sights in the area, but not much info to be had about any of them.

We've stayed at the Gun Creek campsite a few times over the years. On long weekends it will be full but we had no problem getting a site late Friday night this weekend. It used to be a BC Parks site so the sites, tables and outhouses are nice. No running water, but there is garbage [HTML_REMOVED] recyling service. Downside it is down the gravel hill and along the highway from the riding around Tyaughton Lake.
https://www.bchydro.com/community/recreation_areas/bridge_river/gun_creek_campground.html

Mowson Pond FRS, we've never stayed there but it is reasonably popular with riders.
http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC4591[HTML_REMOVED]type=Site

Friberg FRS, on Tyaughton Lake is probably the most popular, I've never stayed there either. It is about 1/2km from the Tyax resort. It is on the lake so we've stopped by for a post ride swim.
http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC4557[HTML_REMOVED]type=Site

Tyaughton Creek FRS, We've stayed here a lot, but it isn't close to the popular rides.
http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC1974[HTML_REMOVED]type=Site

If you don't mind paying and want showers:
Tyax resort, stayed here quite a few nights. Convenient if you are flying out, or want a restaurant or lounge.
http://www.tyax.com/accommodation/camping/

Bridge River Retreat, stayed here twice. One night was bad as there was a group who partied all night and there was no night person in charge to shut it down. The other time was fine.
http://www.bridgerivervalley.ca/summerstay/index.html

I've recently heard there are a couple of sites near Gun Lake but I don't know anything about them.

There are other rec sites up other valleys, but aren't close lakes you mentioned.

Sept. 7, 2014, 11:36 p.m.

rad, thanks craigh

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 8, 2014, 11 a.m.

Love camping at tyax. 20 bucks for a tent up to 4 people i think, hot showers, free SUP and paddleboat rental on the lake, plus theres always nice like minded bikers to shoot the shit with whilst fighting off cramps.